TEAM SHELBY FORUM

back up camera in 13 shelby

svt13

I don't know if this is the right place to put this so if it isn't mods move it.

Has anyone who has the electronics package in their shelby put a back up camera that comes on the ford navigation screen?

Does this work? Saw it on another forum.

http://www.coastaletech.com/LOCKPICK_CAMERAS.htm

Any suggestions and info would be much appreciated. thanks.

You'll need a lockpick and backup camera. Ford should offer it as an option because it is hard to see over that spoiler.

Yea. I figured out why the other mustangs have it and the shelby or boss don't. The other cars have it mounted on their spoilers which flap up a bit. The shelby and boss spoiler go out diagonally so if they mounted it there it would just show the ground. I don't know why they didn't just put all of them on the license plate like aftermarket ones. And I don't get why they didn't at least put the sensors on all cars since those are mounted just above the rear diffuser which was the same for all models.

Why do I need the lockpick though? I only want the camera to come on when I go in reverse.

Because when you put your car in reverse with out a lockpick nothing is going to happen,

Basically a lockpick unlocks your factory setting allowing you to add back up camera or watch DVDs while the car is moving or let you even add a front and rear camera. It allows you to do a lot of things.

Notice how that link you posted lists it as a LOCKPICK camera.

Yea but I thought the lockpick part was only to use it when your not suppose to like when the car is moving.

No, a Lockpick does a lot more than that. Your factory nav unit will have to have a Lockpick in order to make it work. You need the lockpick to unlock your video source.

Read all info here, and install directions will give you a lot of the info you are looking for.

http://www.coastaletech.com/synclockpick.htm

Well its because of the angle of our spoiler. Its impossible to put a camera on that. They would have to make a new one to go for the license plate. What they have no excuse for not adding is the heated side mirrors and back up sensors. They are just retarded thinking because we are buying a performance car doesn't mean we don't want creature comforts too.

So for the lockpick I found its operated from holding the mute button on the steering wheel for ford cars. Where is the mute button on the steering wheel for 2012 mustangs? And is it in the same place for 13?

Because when i see the pics of the steering wheel i just see a phone, sync, and music button.

well on fordgt500.com someone installed it on a 12 shelby. They said its activated by holding the phone button down. I don't think they will make a new lockpick given how the sync and navigation are the exact same

With the LockPick, the rear camera will come on automatically when I shift to reverse. If I were to install an additional camera(ie. front camera), then you can toggle between them by holding the phone button.

But don't you need to hold onto the phone button to hang up the phone or answer it when people call? I am just wondering is there a way to change the button the lockpick is intended for? When I call them thats why they said they use the mute button on ford steering wheels but the mustang doesn't have that anymore. If I get the lockpick will I lose the ability to use the stock hold down feature for the phone button on the wheel?

But don't you need to hold onto the phone button to hang up the phone or answer it when people call? I am just wondering is there a way to change the button the lockpick is intended for? When I call them thats why they said they use the mute button on ford steering wheels but the mustang doesn't have that anymore. If I get the lockpick will I lose the ability to use the stock hold down feature for the phone button on the wheel?

Thats why I told you they will come out with a updated lockpick. There are differences, maybe the head unit is close to being the same but there are other variables.

Thats why I told you they will come out with a updated lockpick. There are differences, maybe the head unit is close to being the same but there are other variables.

But that was the lockpick for the 2010-12 mustangs. Holding the phone button in those were the same and they still set it as that option. Thats why I am wondering about it.

It takes some getting used to, but the phone button retains the original phone function with the added function of acting as a toggle for multiple cameras.

How does it retain the original phone function and act as a toggle? Since holding the phone button is for hanging up and such but also holding it is for the multiple cameras and just to bring up the lockpick menu in general. How can you do both?

• 7 months later...

svt13, from your signature, it looks like you have the rear camera. Can you let me know what solution you went with? thanks!

I went with the nav tv system since it is better. I also got a nav tv license plate camera with infared sensors. It kinda makes it look blinged out lol. But the nav tv interface is different from coastal electronics. They have to hold the phone buttom to make it come up. Nav tv has some super weird thing that is really hard to do and I don't remember it but I have it written down to get to the nav tv interface. They do it this way so dealerships won't figure it out and also so the driver won't accidently open up the interface. But yea it works perfect. I don't have mine set up to act as a lock pick. So my camera only comes on in reverse and I still have to be stopped to use the nav system. Basically it works exactly like OEM which is what I wanted.

I have discovered pretty much every "night vision" camera is bullshit and useless at night. The reason for this is on the stock v6/gt the camera is in the spoiler. The reason Ford put it there is because that is where the angle of the tail lights will light up the road. So when you get any camera for the license plate because the angles are not designed for it to be there makes it useful to see the road at night. As far as people they light up as bright as day, not sure exactly why that is but if there are no lights around you the camera is completely useless in the dark.

I haven't really found a way yet to fix this so my guess is that is why ford has these cameras stock on the rear spoilers for a reason.

Archived