TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Carroll Shelby's Chili Kit - Recipe on Box

If you have some of that wonderful Carroll Shelby's Original Texas brand CHILI KITor seasonings you will know that there is a recipe on the back of the box,

If not......, here is the recipe on the box:

You'll need 2 lbs ground beef, 1- 8oz. can tomato sauce, and 2- 8 oz cans of water.

Cooking Instructions: Brown 2 lbs ground beef in a large skillet, drain fat. Add tomato sauce, water, spice packet and salt packet (optional).

To FIX IT MILD, omit cayenne pepper; to FIX IT HOT, stir in entire cayenne pepper packet. Stir.

Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. For thicker chili, mix masa flour with 1/2 cup water, stir in and let simmer for 5 more minutes.

Prep time = 5 minutes, Cook time = 30 minutes, Makes: 6-8oz. servings.

You can also Create your Own by adding any one or more of the following suggestions:

.Chopped onion or green peppers when browning ground beef.

.Omit 1 - 8oz can of water and add one 14 oz can of diced tomatoes.

.15oz. kidney or pinto beans during the last 5 minutes of cooking.

.Top off your creation with shredded cheese, sour cream, or diced tomatoes.

.Also great over taco salads, hot dogs, spaghetti and hamburgers!

ENJOY!!! I THINK I'll have to make some of this in HONOR of CARROLL today myself!!!

I did a medium-hot version of this for a chili cook-off at my office once, using rabbit meat rather than beef. I called it "Texas Black Jack Chili". It was a big hit. I think part of the charm was the bowl of "bunny bullets" that could be spooned on top, to taste: I rolled warm rabbit-turd size balls of dark chocolate in oregano, making a reasonable visual approximation of the real thing. Chocolate is a component of many Mexican dishes (molé, for example) and a little oregano never hurt a chili recipe.

I did a medium-hot version of this for a chili cook-off at my office once, using rabbit meat rather than beef. I called it "Texas Black Jack Chili". It was a big hit. I think part of the charm was the bowl of "bunny bullets" that could be spooned on top, to taste: I rolled warm rabbit-turd size balls of dark chocolate in oregano, making a reasonable visual approximation of the real thing. Chocolate is a component of many Mexican dishes (molé, for example) and a little oregano never hurt a chili recipe.

:hysterical: "Bunny Bullets" :hysterical:

Reminds me of the "Kitty Litter" cake recipe someone gave me - uses midget Tootsie Rolls to great effect!

Sam

I made my very first batch on Saturday for dinner, just extra lean hamburger, the seasoning packet and salt packet. My wife was afraid of the hot packet. The chili was thick enough for us without the masa packet. We ended up making chili dogs with in. I had the rest of it for lunch yesterday. Next time,I adding onions, peppers and the hot packet. As posted on another thread, this is definately a keeper.

On Sunday, I grilled rib eyes, coated with the Shelby Rub for Beef and Pork. Also a keeper as this is my second tin.

Archived