TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Opinions, why is my GT500 being built then shipped to Shelby American?

Rick S.

O.K., help me out here somebody...

I've had a GT500 on-order for.... well, FOREVER. My initial order confirmation with my dealer was 4/27/2006. That's what you get by being offered an MSRP deal I suppose, you wait 'till your turn on the totem pole..

Anyhow, no worries about that, I could care less when the car comes (never did understand the folks who had to have the car "yesterday", and were willing to fork over gee-gobs of money to realize it..).

Here's the kicker though... Today, my salesman emails me that the car has finally had a VIN# assigned, and is scheduled for build. O.K., so I email him back to see if he has any dates, and he replies with this:

"The ETA to Shelby is 05/03 then another 8-10 weeks for him to do the Shelby upgrade.

Hopefully they will expedite the delivery. Shelby is also producing the Shelby GT in 300 HP also."

Huh?? Shelby doesn't do ANYTHING to the GT500, the GT500 is a factory car... So I call up my guy to discuss what the f*** is going on, and he confirms that the car is slated for delivery to Shelby American in 'Vegas. So now I'm rubbing my chin, and wondering aloud, "after having my order pending for so damn long... has my order been tossed in and included in the 1,000-unit GT500KR build, which IS INDEED being accomplished by shipping finished cars to Shelby for completion??"

So I bounced that off my salesman, and he's going to try to find out what the full-skinny is on this. Also, if my suspicion is correct, what the heck am I in for regarding price? I know that they'll honor our MSRP agreement, I'm not worried about that, but I have no idea what premium these KR's will have above the standard 500. Not that I won't pay, I'm just totally in the dark. My only down-side would be that I think the wheels on the concept photos I've seen are gawdawful silly looking.

Anyhow, any thoughts? I'm right in that the regular GT500 production DOES NOT go to Shelby for anything, right?

Sounds like another case of Steaming Dealer Bovine Feces to me. Little do they know the vast depth and strength of the informational network that is more commonly known to us as STANG'S UNLEASHED!!!

Yes, yes... I wouldn't be wasting bandwidth on this if it was just my sales-dude's fairytale notion... But he confirmed to me that Shelby American, Las Vegas, NV, is the "SHIP TO" on my order, under my name, on the Ford computer system, which is exactly how my 1997 Saleen S351 Speedster was entered and invoiced when it began life as a 6-cylinder built by Ford, and then drop-shipped to Saleen, built, and then delivered to the dealer, using the same dealer...

I'll post more once I know more, and I'm 95% resolved that this is just some stupid fluke. But either way, I'll keep you informed. I just wanted to confirm that nobody else's GT500's had come to them via Shelby American...

Well, help me out there. How do I tell my VIN is a GT500?

BTW, I spoke again with my salesperson, and I'm not satisfied whatsoever with the B.S. I'm hearing. It's not a KR, but I already knew that was just crazy that they'd already be pulling cars toward Vegas for that.

He states that the previous two GT500's they've had through their dealership, were specified during the order placement with Ford to be dropshipped to Shelby American for the "Shelby Upgrade", and that they've been invoiced by Shelby. He's now going to dig up the actual invoices for me, to see what they are comprised of...

I've been to the Shelby American website, and they do have a "40th anniversary upgrade package" for GT500's. The only problem with that is insanely stupid/ugly wheels are the focal point of that package. Plus, I didn't authorize any expensive Shelby tack-on package when I ordered my car.

I'll post more as I know more..

In any case, I'm currently arm-wrestling my dealer for more info...

BTW, I spoke again with my salesperson, and I'm not satisfied whatsoever with the B.S. I'm hearing. It's not a KR, but I already knew that was just crazy that they'd already be pulling cars toward Vegas for that.

He states that the previous two GT500's they've had through their dealership, were specified during the order placement with Ford to be dropshipped to Shelby American for the "Shelby Upgrade", and that they've been invoiced by Shelby. He's now going to dig up the actual invoices for me, to see what they are comprised of...

I've been to the Shelby American website, and they do have a "40th anniversary upgrade package" for GT500's. The only problem with that is insanely stupid/ugly wheels are the focal point of that package. Plus, I didn't authorize any expensive Shelby tack-on package when I ordered my car.

If everything your dealer is telling you is correct then it sounds like you have a Shelby GT heading your way.

No, I did not order a Sheby GT, and I have the confirmation. I'm not that dim... As for my MSRP deal, I've got friends...

As for my VIN, it begins 1ZVHT88S

Looking at my order confirmation, I'm assuming that the "T88" is the smoking gun for GT500.

In case you're interested, it's going to be black, white rocker stripe, top stripe delete, black/red premium interior upgrade, Shaker 1000..

No, I did not order a Sheby GT, and I have the confirmation. I'm not that dim... As for my MSRP deal, I've got friends...

As for my VIN, it begins 1ZVHT88S

Looking at my order confirmation, I'm assuming that the "T88" is the smoking gun for GT500.

In case you're interested, it's going to be black, white rocker stripe, top stripe delete, black/red premium interior upgrade, Shaker 1000..

Your salesman must have your GT500 order and Vin# twisted up with someone elses Shelby GT order.

Sounds like another case of Steaming Dealer Bovine Feces to me. Little do they know the vast depth and strength of the informational network that is more commonly known to us as STANG'S UNLEASHED!!!

HERE US ROARRRRR

I don't think anyone here really needs your opinion on the 40th package. Insanely stupid/ugly? Tack-on package? I guess the gt500/ gt350 packages of the sixties were too. I have my opinions about what you ordered too, but I will keep them to myself. I am not that arrogant. This is a tightly knit group here. You will not find a better bunch of guys than on this site. Lots of information here.

To think that you are getting a KR is pretty dim.

Edit for typos.

I've had a GT500 on-order for.... well, FOREVER. My initial order confirmation with my dealer was 4/27/2006. That's what you get by being offered an MSRP deal I suppose, you wait 'till your turn on the totem pole..

Anyhow, no worries about that, I could care less when the car comes (never did understand the folks who had to have the car "yesterday", and were willing to fork over gee-gobs of money to realize it..).

Here's the kicker though... Today, my salesman emails me that the car has finally had a VIN# assigned, and is scheduled for build. O.K., so I email him back to see if he has any dates, and he replies with this:

"The ETA to Shelby is 05/03 then another 8-10 weeks for him to do the Shelby upgrade.

Hopefully they will expedite the delivery. Shelby is also producing the Shelby GT in 300 HP also."

Huh?? Shelby doesn't do ANYTHING to the GT500, the GT500 is a factory car... So I call up my guy to discuss what the f*** is going on, and he confirms that the car is slated for delivery to Shelby American in 'Vegas. So now I'm rubbing my chin, and wondering aloud, "after having my order pending for so damn long... has my order been tossed in and included in the 1,000-unit GT500KR build, which IS INDEED being accomplished by shipping finished cars to Shelby for completion??"

So I bounced that off my salesman, and he's going to try to find out what the full-skinny is on this. Also, if my suspicion is correct, what the heck am I in for regarding price? I know that they'll honor our MSRP agreement, I'm not worried about that, but I have no idea what premium these KR's will have above the standard 500. Not that I won't pay, I'm just totally in the dark. My only down-side would be that I think the wheels on the concept photos I've seen are gawdawful silly looking.

Anyhow, any thoughts? I'm right in that the regular GT500 production DOES NOT go to Shelby for anything, right?

This happened to another member too. It was a mistake, they had to have the car shipped back from Vegas. I'd get all over your dealer about this one before it's too late.

Dave

Sorry, but there is no way on God's green earth that has happened. The KR is not even close to having it's order banks open. I am 99.999% certain that the KR order banks will not open any sooner than February 2008, about three to four weeks after the January 2008 Barrett Jackson Auction.

WRONG! You could only hope, wish and dream that this was true, to have the first "KR" produced!!!! Sounds like a screw up in paperwork along way. If I were you,call Carroll (and/or Amy Bolan,or Gary) and tell him he's got a GT500 coming his way,and correct the situation as it seems this dealer guy you got has a bad radiator leak (friend or no friend). :doh:

You're not getting a 40th package. Those are shipped from your address to SAI at a predetermined date. Only ONE GT500 was inadvertantly drop-shipped to SAI, and that person was told that it should not have happened as the 40th package was not ready for installation. Sounds like your dealer F'd up bigtime. Good luck, your car is on a road trip without you! :doh:

His dealer has got to be out-to-lunch or sold his GT500 to someone else months ago and is now setting up for the "Oooops I'm so sorry" game -- and we don't have any more allocations, darn it <lol> (and we've certainly seen a few of those :spiteful:)... ordering a factory car should not be rocket science for a dealer unless they did something really stupid like assume it had to go to SA since they heard it says SHELBY on it <lol> What would make them assume that is mysterious.

I wonder if they ship their Fusions to Gilette :hysterical2:

His dealer has got to be out-to-lunch or sold his GT500 to someone else months ago and is now setting up for the "Oooops I'm so sorry" game -- and we don't have any more allocations, darn it <lol> (and we've certainly seen a few of those :spiteful:)... ordering a factory car should not be rocket science for a dealer unless they did something really stupid like assume it had to go to SA since they heard it says SHELBY on it <lol> What would make them assume that is mysterious.

I wonder if they ship their Fusions to Gilette :hysterical2:

:yup: What 68' says. Can't say with a 100% certainity, but I would bet that's what happened with your order. Your car came in, the dealer did not call you, floored it, and someone with deeper pockets came in, saw it and bought it. It happens more than you would think. When I was a much younger lad and did not know any better, I had hand picked options and colors on two different cars, only to have the dealer's sell them to other buyers who came in, flipped over my ordered car, and then offered more money for it over my deal. Bye, bye car(s).

That's why I, and many others here have or will track their cars from birth, across our great nation, and down to the last 10 minutes of delivery to the dealership, so we can greet the cars and take them away quickly. That's so the dealer doesn't have time to use our ordered car as a showroom "halo" car. Remember, no matter what, the dealer has complete control of that car and can do whatever they want with it until you ink the deal and pay them the money for it.

Good luck with your car.

68', only the Fusion's with batteries in them. :hysterical:

The only reason I floated the "KR" theory, was because I couldn't conceive any other feasible reason for the drop-ship.. Also, waiting for a year just to get a VIN # will make you more trigger-happy than a cornered insurgent.

Anyhow, it's been discovered that the purchasing-dude at the dealership indeed had his head somewhere else, and had my order confused with the Shelby GT... That was, OF COURSE, my original suspicion before I posted any of this, but after questioning my salesperson, and having him make two trips to the purchasing office to question and harrass the guy, that's what they steadfastly stood by... So no, I'm not going to divulge the dealer, as they've got egg on their face, and I don't feel like tossing anyone under the bus online...

Sorry I ruffled some feathers with my remarks, but sheesh!!! A bit sensitive and insecure are we???

If you think the Shelby 40th package is the best thing since canned cornbeef hash, then more power to you, knock yourself out.

Myself, I don't like it, and it's just an opinion, nothing to lose your mind over..

Regarding my car, my '68 GT500KR fastback doesn't have any Lemans stripes, so I nixed them on my 2007. Less clutter, and they were a rarely-ordered option back in '68 anyhow, which is the model-year that I feel the new GT500 is by-far the most derivative of...

If you WERE to say that you think my spec stinks, you know what??? It wouldn't rattle me the slightest bit... I'm not trying to be a jerk, or a bad forum citizen... Just saying how I feel. Sorry I didn't anticipate such a thin-skin..

Rick S. don't know why you got such a rude welcome. Sorry. We are generally nice.

No sweat... I'm the first to admit that I don't always come across as the Easter Bunny... But I say what I feel, and dislike when forum-etiquette goes so far to the side of "politically-correct" that it's more icky-sticky-smooch-fest than fun chat...

I tend to "talk cars" online no differently than I would out in the trailer lot at a Mustang show at 11:30 PM with a huge stack of beer cans in the middle of the assorted B.S. artists (myself included..).

It's more fun that way. So again, please accept apologies, the word "stupid" was indeed a bit harsh...

I feel that the wheels on both the 40th Anniversary and the upcoming KR are too "Fast & Furious" for the context of the car, which is just my own thought, and welcome to any debate..

If you've got one or the other in your ownership, or on order, then obviously you disagree... Vive la America!!!!

Glad to be here, sorry for the false alarm (original premise of post), and I'll be sure to duck in here and there to see what's new. Thanks!! :shift:

P.S. The destination never was SA. Don't have any idea why they were so adamant about something that turned out to be utter mis-information..

Archived