TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Carroll Shelby Passes

Staff

LEGENDARY ENTREPRENEUR CARROLL SHELBY PASSES AWAY

74844.jpg

Team Shelby – May 11, 2012 – Carroll Shelby International, Inc., announced today that Carroll Hall Shelby, a man whose vision for performance transformed the automobile industry, has died at age 89. Mr. Shelby passed away yesterday at Baylor Hospital in Dallas. The cause of death was not disclosed.

Born on Jan. 11, 1923, Carroll Shelby was one of America’s greatest success stories. Championship-winning racecar driver, “flying sergeant” wartime pilot, philanthropist, entrepreneur, car manufacturer and racing team owner, he embodied the ingenuity, tenacity and grit to overcome any obstacle. He is perhaps the only person to have worked at a visible level with all three major American automobile manufacturers.

Carroll Shelby founded Carroll Shelby International, a publicly held corporation involved in many industries. His licensing arm has agreements with industry giants, such as Mattel, Sony, Ford Motor Company and Electronic Arts. His car company, Shelby American, has a thriving parts business as well as a line of muscle cars including the Shelby GT500 Super Snake, Shelby GT350 and Shelby GTS. The Las Vegas-based company also manufactures a limited number of the 1960s Shelby 289 “street,” 289 FIA, 427 S/C and Daytona Coupe Cobras.

Shelby considered his greatest achievement to be the establishment of the Carroll Shelby Foundation™. Created in 1992 while Shelby was waiting for a heart transplant, the charity is dedicated to providing medical assistance for those in need, including children, educational opportunities for young people through automotive and other training programs and benefitting the Carroll Shelby Automotive Foundation.

Shelby remained active in the management of each of his companies and the Foundation until his death, even though he endured both heart and kidney transplants in the last two decades of his life.

74844-2.jpg

“We are all deeply saddened, and feel a tremendous sense of loss for Carroll’s family, ourselves and the entire automotive industry,” said Joe Conway, president of Carroll Shelby International, Inc. and board member. “There has been no one like Carroll Shelby and never will be. However, we promised Carroll we would carry on, and he put the team, the products and the vision in place to do just that.”

Shelby is survived by his three children Patrick, Michael and Sharon, his sister Anne Shelby Ellison of Fort Worth and his wife Cleo. Funeral plans are not currently available. Donations to the Carroll Shelby Foundation are encouraged in lieu of flowers. Information about the Carroll Shelby Foundation is available at www.carrollshelbyfoundation.org.

About Shelby American, Inc.

Founded by legend Carroll Shelby, Shelby American manufactures and markets performance vehicles and related products. Now a subsidiary of Carroll Shelby International, Inc., the company manufactures authentic continuation Cobras, including the 427 S/C, 289 FIA and 289 street car component vehicles. The company offers the GT350, GT500 Super Snake and GTS post-title packages for the current generation Ford Mustang. For more information, visit www.shelbyamerican.com.

About Carroll Shelby Licensing

Automotive manufacturer and entrepreneur Carroll Shelby is one of the most famous and successful high performance visionaries in the world, and he has spent the last 50 years establishing and protecting his name, trademarks and car design rights. He founded Carroll Shelby Licensing Inc., which has the exclusive right to license the Shelby trademarks and vehicle design rights for some of the most famous muscle cars and high-performance vehicles. CSL also holds trademark rights for Shelby-branded apparel, accessories and collectibles. For more information about the company or licensing opportunities, call (310) 914-1843, or fax (310) 538-8189 or write to Carroll Shelby Licensing, Inc., 19021 S Figueroa St., Gardena, CA, 90248, or visit www.carrollshelby.com, www.shelbylicensing.com or www.carrollshelbyinternational.com.

About The Carroll Shelby Foundation

The Carroll Shelby Foundation was created by legendary racer and automotive manufacturer Carroll Shelby. Headquartered in Gardena, Calif., the Foundation is dedicated to providing medical assistance for those in need, including children, educational opportunities for young people through automotive and other training programs and benefitting the Shelby Automotive Foundation. For more information visit CarrollShelbyFoundation.org.

Safe Harbor Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995

This release may contain forward-looking statements involving risks and uncertainties that may cause actual future events or results to differ materially and adversely from those described in the forward-looking statements. CSI disclaims any obligation to revise or update any forward- looking statement that may be made from time to time by or on its behalf.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Truely a sad day in history . My thoughts and prayers go out to Carroll's family , business associates , and fans of his . He was and always will be a legend and a hero to those in the automotive racing community.

Thank you for all the wonderful times that came about because of your visions and hard work. I've made many new friends that I now call family because of you.

Rest well Mr. Shelby.

Today is a sad day. Carroll Shelby, the legend, the man has passed away. I had known Carroll for about 10 years. I met him when I was at Hot Wheels, he was a a very larger then life legend. There was nothing he wouldn't do or try and as a risk taker myself I was in awe of him. When Carroll asked me to run his Shelby Plant in Las Vegas, it was a dream come true. What a great brand, what a great team of guys, what great Shelby Customersand most importantly what a man.

For the record Carroll and I had some great times and not so great times, I liken it all great relationships. You love, admire, fight, make up. He was a mentor, He was a father but most of all he was someone I admired to the end. I wish him peace and rest, and I am sure he is up in Heaven causing trouble already!

Amy

As I look around my office, his picture on my wall, his signature on a poster, the memories of meeting him in my head...I'm saddened with a deep sense of loss.

Of course what I feel can't compare to the emotions of his family and friends or those privileged to work with him thought the years and my thoughts are with you all.

You will be missed sir.

Sorry to hear he passed away. I was fortunate enough to meet him several times. Terlingua 2008 was the best, where we shared a beer and talked for a while. He felt like home over there. The man was an icon and we are glad we knew him. The legacy continues in his cars.

This is truly very sad news for the Shelby family and community.

RIP Mr. Shelby you will never be forgotten. May our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. We have lost a legend.

As I look around my office, his picture on my wall, his signature on a poster, the memories of meeting him in my head...I'm saddened with a deep sense of loss.

Of course what I feel can't compare to the emotions of his family and friends or those privileged to work with him thought the years and my thoughts are with you all.

You will be missed sir.

tasca's 10th anniversary show....100 degree heat.......hundreds waiting in line..........led to a signed visor in my hand and tears of joy in my eyes......

today they are filled with tears of sadness.

RIP Mr Carroll Shelby!

R.I.P. Mr. Shelby!

Godspeed to you and your family! :salute:

Thank you for the memories sir! I will never forget what you achieved in my favorite of all time hobby.

The automotive world lost a wonderful leader yesterday...

:cry:

Chris Hall aka BIKEBOY

ps. Thank you for this wonderful keepsake of you signing my 2007 GT500 window sticker!

5370216818_7e13275925_z.jpg

Carroll Signing My wdo stckr...sept. 14, 2010 by shelbybikeboy, on Flickr

5369609707_23078bfcb4_z.jpg

Signed Window Sticker Sept. 14, 2010 by shelbybikeboy, on Flickr

A sad Day for sure. You are with God Now, Introduce your self to my Mom, She has heard enough about you from Me and really wants to meet you.

Cleo, My prayers are with you and Family now, He is in Gods hands now, you took Him this far, now let God take over. Bless you for all you have done for Him.

David.

I had the unique opportunity to meet Carroll and Amy B. back in 2009. At that time my business partner and I had the rare and now very cherished opportunity to drive my SGT officially on behalf of Shelby American. One of my fondest Shelby memories. It was always my dream to own a piece of Carroll's BIG dream. Thank you for letting me be part and though doing so adding richness to my own life. I am certain that your legacy will live on as America's racer!

I guess my topic got moved or consolidated - maybe other duplicates can be relocated here.

Anyway, it was a pleasure to meet Carroll and we take great pride that we supported the foundation with a major donation.

Our condolences go to Cleo and the rest of the family.

Tony & Pam Priborsky

I hold it as a honor to have known Carroll for the last decade and to help run Nor Cal SAAC. His love of all things automotive truly made him an American and Worldwide Car-culture Icon.

My heart goes out to Cleo and his family. While he did live an amazing life it is never easy to lose a legend.

Carroll, May you look down on your followers as we continue to enjoy your products as you intended them to be ... Driven!

Thank you for everything.

Joe P.

God speed to you Carroll. You are a legend, and your legend will continue to live on well past your earthly being. Please do us all the honor of kicking Enzo's ass all over heaven.

Archived