TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Carroll Shelby Passes

Staff

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Carroll Shelby. I instantly became a fan at the age of 17 when I laid eyes on a '67 GT500, still the most exciting car I can think of. Over the years I've owned 4 Shelbys, they always took automotive engineering to the next step. I had the good fortune to meet Carroll twice. The first time was at the Pocono Indy Car 500. I was in the infield, and saw a fellow walking through the infield wearing a Stetson. I looked through my binoculars ...... OMG IT'S CARROL SHELBY! Walked over to him, shook his hand. He noticed my wife was wearing a GT350 T-shirt, he remarked "I like your T-shirt." My wife was so starstruck all she could do was babble. The second time was at a SAAC convention in Virginia. Although it had to be nearly 100 degrees, he took the time to sign autographs, chat with fans, and talk to car owners about their rides.

God Speed Carroll. We will miss you.

LEGENDARY ENTREPRENEUR CARROLL SHELBY PASSES AWAY

74844.jpg

Team Shelby – May 11, 2012 – Carroll Shelby International, Inc., announced today that Carroll Hall Shelby, a man whose vision for performance transformed the automobile industry, has died at age 89. Mr. Shelby passed away yesterday at Baylor Hospital in Dallas. The cause of death was not disclosed.

Born on Jan. 11, 1923, Carroll Shelby was one of America’s greatest success stories. Championship-winning racecar driver, “flying sergeant” wartime pilot, philanthropist, entrepreneur, car manufacturer and racing team owner, he embodied the ingenuity, tenacity and grit to overcome any obstacle. He is perhaps the only person to have worked at a visible level with all three major American automobile manufacturers.

Carroll Shelby founded Carroll Shelby International, a publicly held corporation involved in many industries. His licensing arm has agreements with industry giants, such as Mattel, Sony, Ford Motor Company and Electronic Arts. His car company, Shelby American, has a thriving parts business as well as a line of muscle cars including the Shelby GT500 Super Snake, Shelby GT350 and Shelby GTS. The Las Vegas-based company also manufactures a limited number of the 1960s Shelby 289 “street,” 289 FIA, 427 S/C and Daytona Coupe Cobras.

Shelby considered his greatest achievement to be the establishment of the Carroll Shelby Foundation™. Created in 1992 while Shelby was waiting for a heart transplant, the charity is dedicated to providing medical assistance for those in need, including children, educational opportunities for young people through automotive and other training programs and benefitting the Carroll Shelby Automotive Foundation.

Shelby remained active in the management of each of his companies and the Foundation until his death, even though he endured both heart and kidney transplants in the last two decades of his life.

74844-2.jpg

“We are all deeply saddened, and feel a tremendous sense of loss for Carroll’s family, ourselves and the entire automotive industry,” said Joe Conway, president of Carroll Shelby International, Inc. and board member. “There has been no one like Carroll Shelby and never will be. However, we promised Carroll we would carry on, and he put the team, the products and the vision in place to do just that.”

Shelby is survived by his three children Patrick, Michael and Sharon, his sister Anne Shelby Ellison of Fort Worth and his wife Cleo. Funeral plans are not currently available. Donations to the Carroll Shelby Foundation are encouraged in lieu of flowers. Information about the Carroll Shelby Foundation is available at www.carrollshelbyfoundation.org.

About Shelby American, Inc.

Founded by legend Carroll Shelby, Shelby American manufactures and markets performance vehicles and related products. Now a subsidiary of Carroll Shelby International, Inc., the company manufactures authentic continuation Cobras, including the 427 S/C, 289 FIA and 289 street car component vehicles. The company offers the GT350, GT500 Super Snake and GTS post-title packages for the current generation Ford Mustang. For more information, visit www.shelbyamerican.com.

About Carroll Shelby Licensing

Automotive manufacturer and entrepreneur Carroll Shelby is one of the most famous and successful high performance visionaries in the world, and he has spent the last 50 years establishing and protecting his name, trademarks and car design rights. He founded Carroll Shelby Licensing Inc., which has the exclusive right to license the Shelby trademarks and vehicle design rights for some of the most famous muscle cars and high-performance vehicles. CSL also holds trademark rights for Shelby-branded apparel, accessories and collectibles. For more information about the company or licensing opportunities, call (310) 914-1843 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (310) 914-1843 end_of_the_skype_highlighting, or fax (310) 538-8189 or write to Carroll Shelby Licensing, Inc., 19021 S Figueroa St., Gardena, CA, 90248, or visit www.carrollshelby.com, www.shelbylicensing.com or www.carrollshelbyinternational.com.

About The Carroll Shelby Foundation

The Carroll Shelby Foundation was created by legendary racer and automotive manufacturer Carroll Shelby. Headquartered in Gardena, Calif., the Foundation is dedicated to providing medical assistance for those in need, including children, educational opportunities for young people through automotive and other training programs and benefitting the Shelby Automotive Foundation. For more information visit CarrollShelbyFoundation.org.

Safe Harbor Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995

This release may contain forward-looking statements involving risks and uncertainties that may cause actual future events or results to differ materially and adversely from those described in the forward-looking statements. CSI disclaims any obligation to revise or update any forward- looking statement that may be made from time to time by or on its behalf.

Our thoughts and prayers go to the family. I never met him personally, but I will miss him just the same. Gods Speed!

As most people are sad about death this man has left a HUGE mark on this planet. I am sure he will leave a mark where his soul has come to rest. His legacy will live on thru us and his SHELBY'S !!!!!

Also all the good he has done for children !!! I'm St peter has a stang with his name on it

:salute:

Carroll, thank you for all the "speed" & the thrills. Thanks for the time you spent with me on several occassions, though brief. Thank you for bringing my brother & I back together at the first Bash. While I have yet to own a Shelby 500, I remember my 1969 428 Cobra Jet Mach I with love. But most of all, thank you for all of the wonderful people I have met at various Shelby events; may you continue to join us from heaven! Bless you Cleo.

(Don't worry Rick, the center piece from the first Bash will NEVER show up on ebay!)

What can I say.......I'm saddened by this.

Carroll Shelby was an icon to me. I had the fortunate chance of meeting him at the 2011 Bash. It's something that's etched in my mind.

I'm also very fortunate that Carroll Shelby partnered up with Ford again and started making cars. The original 60's Shelby's were too far out of my reach. When I first spied eyes on the GT-500 prototype at the 2005 NYIAS, I knew my dream of owning a Shelby were about to come true.

Thanks Carroll Shelby for all you did for the racing community. Every time I hear my Shelby roar at start up, I'll think of you.

..................think I'm going to take my Shelby out for a ride. It's what Carroll would've wanted.

...yup, took the KR out and did a few "hot laps". There's a 50' stretch of 2nd gear out there I left on the highway in Carroll's memory !

For the past 50 years I have been awe of Mr. Shelby and all that he has done not only for the automotive industry, but also for his marvelous humanitarian efforts. He will be sorely missed by so many. My sincere sympathies go out to his family and his co-workers. May he rest in peace. A life well lived.

Carroll, Rest in piece knowing the Foundation will carry on the legecy, A small piece of you lives in each of us here and we will do our best to live up to a responsibilty we all take up willingly and with love

My thoughts and prayers to the Shelby family. :grouphug: You were a true legend Mr. Shelby :superhero: and will be in our mustang hearts forever. :wub: God bless and may you rest in peace.

A few pics from 2007 at the annual Tasca event......

DSC02952.jpg

DSC02949.jpg

DSC02954.jpg

rip my friend you are truly an american legend and will never be forgotten

God Bless you Mr Shelby... :superhero: May God comfort Cleo and family... :grouphug:

Your legend is alive and well in all the people that you touched.

I'm so sad that I was one Bash too late to meet you... :cry:

Not sure if John Keller posted this pic on TS, but he posted it on Facebook. I'm printing it out and putting it in my window! Rest in peace Sir...

RIP_Shelby.jpg

Peter Miller

:salute:

Archived