TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I had a flat tonight

mrfarmdog

I ran over a piece of metal tonight and put a gash in the center of my tread about an inch wide. The tire did not go flat as the hole was still plugged so I got the fix a flat compressor our and followed the instructions. Basically, turn the fix a flat stuff on the compressor so it is standing up, screw the fitting to the valve stem and turn it on for about 7 minutes. It had to pump for a minute or so before I heard a pop, I assume it was to overcome the valve stem pressure, and then the pressure gauge started working. When it was done I pulled the metal out and rolled the tire several times so the fix a flat would coat the puncture. I looked at it and I could see white stuff bubbling through the wound. The leaking air stopped though and I drove it home (about 10 miles). I will check in the AM and see if it is still holding air. I was surprised that the fix a flat sealed a cut that big!

So what do I do now to replace my fix a flat compressor? Is the unit supposed to be throw away? I assume you can order it through Ford parts but It will probably cost me as much as a tire. Where can I get it cheaper?

Here is the unit on ebay. I got one (extra one, just in case) from him and it was new, in mint condition and arrived in 3 days. He is asking $30 or best offer....he has 11 of them. I would guess that's about $45-$50 less than the dealer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Shelby-Must...1QQcmdZViewItem

Perfect! Thanks!

good thing you didn't have a blowout

did your wheel get damaged?

how did the car drive after you fixed it?

No damage. I just aired it up with the fix a flat, removed the metal from the tire, and drove easy home. I couldn't tell any issues when driving. I was up to 60 MPH in a couple of spots. Mainly 45ish.

No damage. I just aired it up with the fix a flat, removed the metal from the tire, and drove easy home. I couldn't tell any issues when driving. I was up to 60 MPH in a couple of spots. Mainly 45ish.

good deal

I hope I never have to use mine

I guess I need to reread my owner's manual. I thought one could reuse the air pump part. A can of sealent can be had for $5.

I guess I need to reread my owner's manual. I thought one could reuse the air pump part. A can of sealent can be had for $5.

Me too. I was too bothered with fixing it last night to pull out the owners manual:)

Mrfarmdog,

If I were you, I would replace the tire. Once you get a puncture, it no longer has a speed rating. Also, as time goes buy the air that got through the steel cords and the belt package will work through the inner liner and you will get a bubble on the sidewall or a seperation. I would not want to go through a blowout at high speeds, and even at 60mph, it would be a bad thing.

I'm no fan of Fixaflat.

Is it impossible to buy an aftermarket spare for this car?

Last time I used fixaflat, it was all super until they took the tire off and I saw my crudded up rim.

Glad you got home OK though!

A stock front tire and wheel is a good choice for a spare, it will work just fine for temporary use in the rear as well. You would have to leave in the trunk.

A stock front tire and wheel is a good choice for a spare, it will work just fine for temporary use in the rear as well. You would have to leave in the trunk.

Agreed!

FYI - I called the local dealership to see what price they have for a rear rim and the fix a flat compressor.

REAR RIM - $432

COMPRESSOR UNIT - $132

:ohsnap:

Hey blayne, will the stock front wheel/tire sit under the rear trunk "plate" so that it's flat? I thought others had tried this and it is too tall. :shrug:

P.S. regarding the cost of the wheel...you can buy knockoffs for about $280. I've posted the website a few times before...look through any Mustang magazine.

• 6 months later...
Agreed!

FYI - I called the local dealership to see what price they have for a rear rim and the fix a flat compressor.

REAR RIM - $432

COMPRESSOR UNIT - $132

mrfarmdog:

What did you end up doing with the flat tire? Did you replace it as recommeded by Ford? Was the fix-a-flat difficult to clean off the rim? What about the tire pressure sensors - were those replaced?

Agreed!

REAR RIM - $432

COMPRESSOR UNIT - $132

:banghead: rear or front rim ... all the same .. low 200's through me ... need to check on exact price but i bought a second set of rims for my nittos

Archived