TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dealers who will sell @ or below MSRP

bumplime

Anybody who has an ounce of business sense and has any insight on new car pricing knows that no one in their right mind pays the full sticker price for a a vehicle. It is amazing to read these threads about people out there looking to pay the full MSRP price on a window sticker, unbelieveable.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody who has an ounce of business sense and has any insight on new car pricing knows that no one in their right mind pays the full sticker price for a a vehicle. It is amazing to read these threads about people out there looking to pay the full MSRP price on a window sticker, unbelieveable.

Well thank God we have speedyman to square away everything and set everybody straight.

It sure makes a person wonder why he hasn't applied all this cocksure insight toward brokering deals for all the buyers who'd be thrilled to wind-up paying less to own the exact cars they want and dealers who'd be ever-so-grateful to make so much more on each and every deal.

With some 4K-plus units to move per annum and so many well-funded desperate shoppers, the gross marketspace must be $3-4M with only a laptop and smartphone for overhead.

Something REALLY hot must be cooking to pass-up all that.

Well thank God we have speedyman to square away everything and set everybody straight.

It sure makes a person wonder why he hasn't applied all this cocksure insight toward brokering deals for all the buyers who'd be thrilled to wind-up paying less to own the exact cars they want and dealers who'd be ever-so-grateful to make so much more on each and every deal.

With some 4K-plus units to move per annum and so many well-funded desperate shoppers, the gross marketspace must be $3-4M with only a laptop and smartphone for overhead.

Something REALLY hot must be cooking to pass-up all that.

Just pop off with another "I hate Gm" rant, you'll feel better.

Speedyman has it right do not pay MSRP . Ford priced alot of profit into these cars and most dealers are doing just fine.

I'd certainly never advocate paying sticker, but GT500's have the same holdback rate and margin as any other vehicle, with the exception that dealers must FIRST pay $2,000 to participate in the GT500 program to receive any allocation to begin with, and the cost of carrying the vehicle on their inventory floorplan financing is proportionately just as much higher as the effect the sticker price has upon the holdback which is +/- 3%.

At least until the dealer recovers its initial up-front expenses, GT500 IS more expensive to dealers than other other vehicles in relative terms. This is why a little knowledge like speedyman's is so often regarded as a dangerous thing - especially to the unfortunate handful who'll inadvertently mistake it for gospel.

I'd love to hear what OTHER business can successfully operate on a 3% GROSS margin even WITHOUT a dealership's overhead. That's why NEW car sales constitute an overwhelming MINORITY of a dealer's net profit and why makers have worked SO hard over the past year to cull the number of stores and produce FEWER cars than demand would justify which, along with such dramatically-higher residual values, has been a cornerstone of US makers' new-found profitability - especially Ford's, which didn't need a $60B trust fund before pulling its head out.

Still no word on why he's not cashing-in on pairing together all these under-served buyers and dealers who are falling all over themselves to serve them.

On a $62K MSRP there is over $5K priced into the car. That's alot for a individual to bargain with. I am not sure that SVT dealers are charged each year to stay on board.

You can always find good deals on the models at the end of year, with the exception of the dealers holding on to units with an ADM. Considering Shelby Automotive said they've renewed the contract through "2015 and beyond" I'd tell any dealer who told you they weren't making these to take a hike. You may not find that large of a discount this year at year's end because they are selling at a faster pace and Ford is kind of screwing things up with their boss offering, but definitely possible to get UNDER MSRP by waiting and being patient.

I haven't decided on whether to try and get a 2013, or hold off until the new body style 2015.

I'd certainly never advocate paying sticker, but GT500's have the same holdback rate and margin as any other vehicle, with the exception that dealers must FIRST pay $2,000 to participate in the GT500 program to receive any allocation to begin with, and the cost of carrying the vehicle on their inventory floorplan financing is proportionately just as much higher as the effect the sticker price has upon the holdback which is +/- 3%.

At least until the dealer recovers its initial up-front expenses, GT500 IS more expensive to dealers than other other vehicles in relative terms. This is why a little knowledge like speedyman's is so often regarded as a dangerous thing - especially to the unfortunate handful who'll inadvertently mistake it for gospel.

I'd love to hear what OTHER business can successfully operate on a 3% GROSS margin even WITHOUT a dealership's overhead. That's why NEW car sales constitute an overwhelming MINORITY of a dealer's net profit and why makers have worked SO hard over the past year to cull the number of stores and produce FEWER cars than demand would justify which, along with such dramatically-higher residual values, has been a cornerstone of US makers' new-found profitability - especially Ford's, which didn't need a $60B trust fund before pulling its head out.

Still no word on why he's not cashing-in on pairing together all these under-served buyers and dealers who are falling all over themselves to serve them.

3% markup indeed. Take a look at parts and extended warranties, you are looking at 25-50% margins on those. Amazing how you can chime in on a thread about new car prices and your post morphs it into another psychotic, lets hate GM rant. Yeah, the government lent/gave GM a bunch of cash to stay alive. We all know that. You don't like that fact, Tough crap, get over it!

3% markup indeed. Take a look at parts and extended warranties, you are looking at 25-50% margins on those.

Parts and extended warranties? When had those ever been part of the topic of paying SRP for the car? What's next, the price of milk and vegetables?

If you've been buying parts and extended warranties only from dealers where you've bought your cars and have been paying such a steep premium for them, no wonder your sense of reality about buying the cars themselves is so distorted.

I wonder if any of the people who bash those that pay MSRP or more for one of these cars, have actually gone out and either bought a 2013 GT500 or are serious about buying one?. When I say tried to buy one, I don't mean cruising eBay, cars.com or autotrader. I mean actually doing the research and contacting dealers.

If this was a Mustang GT or V6 I would never think of paying MSRP, there are 6 Ford dealers with Mustang GT's or V6's on their lots, so at least there is some kind of competition for my money, but not one of them has a GT500. The closest dealer that has one, wants MSRP + $5000 ADM. Oh, did I mention that it is not the color I want and has unwanted options for an additional $6000.

I did a nationwide search with Ford and they were unable to find one car that met my requirements, so one of my only options is to find a dealer that still has an allocation that hasn't been bought by another dealer. It would be nice if Ford could tell you which dealers still have allocations, but they can't even tell you if the car you ordered is allocated.

When it comes to buying one of these cars, it is not as easy as some would make it out to be.

Try to get the best deal you can live with, if it is below MSRP, good for you.

I wonder if any of the people who bash those that pay MSRP or more for one of these cars, have actually gone out and either bought a 2013 GT500 or are serious about buying one?. When I say tried to buy one, I don't mean cruising eBay, cars.com or autotrader. I mean actually doing the research and contacting dealers.

If this was a Mustang GT or V6 I would never think of paying MSRP, there are 6 Ford dealers with Mustang GT's or V6's on their lots, so at least there is some kind of competition for my money, but not one of them has a GT500. The closest dealer that has one, wants MSRP + $5000 ADM. Oh, did I mention that it is not the color I want and has unwanted options for an additional $6000.

I did a nationwide search with Ford and they were unable to find one car that met my requirements, so one of my only options is to find a dealer that still has an allocation that hasn't been bought by another dealer. It would be nice if Ford could tell you which dealers still have allocations, but they can't even tell you if the car you ordered is allocated.

When it comes to buying one of these cars, it is not as easy as some would make it out to be.

Try to get the best deal you can live with, if it is below MSRP, good for you.

Just read your postand decided to look for one. This took me less than 30 seconds to find! http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17169

Really hard to find aren't they. There are dealers that have 6 of them up for adoption. Some of you guys really need to stop drinking the Kool Aide and use your heads.

I sold all 7 of mine at MSRP and if I get any more allocation I have a list ready for them. The post you are speaking of above I tried to contact the salesman and pass a lead to him, didn't care for his comment, "every swinging dic* is trying to sell this car" so I passed not even to give him a lead. Oh and he couldn't tell me when the car was to be built, but it had been ordered a while back and still no vin. I have delivered 4 of mine so far and the 5th will be here at the end of the month so you can't blow smoke up my A$$.

Parts and extended warranties? When had those ever been part of the topic of paying SRP for the car? What's next, the price of milk and vegetables?

If you've been buying parts and extended warranties only from dealers where you've bought your cars and have been paying such a steep premium for them, no wonder your sense of reality about buying the cars themselves is so distorted.

Your post doesn't make much sense. Car dealers sell parts and extended warranties under the same roof where they sell cars. Not sure where milk and vegetables play into this discussion unless you are attempting to spin or deflect attention from one of your stupid posts. Maybe you should just stick to your obcession with bringing down General Motors. Good Luck on your mission!

You can always find good deals on the models at the end of year, with the exception of the dealers holding on to units with an ADM. Considering Shelby Automotive said they've renewed the contract through "2015 and beyond" I'd tell any dealer who told you they weren't making these to take a hike. You may not find that large of a discount this year at year's end because they are selling at a faster pace and Ford is kind of screwing things up with their boss offering, but definitely possible to get UNDER MSRP by waiting and being patient.

I haven't decided on whether to try and get a 2013, or hold off until the new body style 2015.

agreed, the dealer I met with 2 weeks ago wanted $7500 min over MSRP stating they were limited production, the last year fold will make them because of Mr. Shelby's death, blah blah blah. he ven told me people were buying them and storing them to make th 6 figure sales the 1960s shelbys are brining in. I kind of laughed and said "didn't ford say they will make as many as they can sell". i'm just going to sit and wait until I get a fair price on a 2013

While you're always likelier to find a better deal near or beyond the end of a particular model year, especially if the successive years' model is already on the lot and in regions where a vehicle like Mustang is subject to seasonal demand ebbs and flows, the case may be less so with 2014 Mustang - especially in smaller markets and if the 2014 car remains meaningfully unchanged.

Three things are known. 2013/14 is the last of the S197 cars, the 2015's are slated to be introduced to coincide with the 50th anniversary with full stocks ready to go for mid-April of 2014, and the 2015 (or 2014 1/2) car will be vastly different from what exists today - designed to be relevant for production and sale in global markets with MUCH less of a traditional American muscle car ethos.

People's affinity for Mustang may live-on alive and well, but their love for a 2015 Mustang that's more like a 370Z may not - especially among the GT500 core market. The remaining units in dealer stock may suddenly become FAR more desirable as the last available examples than ANYBODY may be imagining today. This isn't the changeover from 2011 to 2012, or even from 2012 to 2013 when a great many people are happy to save $10K for a car that essentially looks the same, STILL has more than enough horsepower to meet THEIR particular preference but is better-suited for their wallets.

It's also important to understand the REAL state of the Shelby/Ford "agreement". The so-called "announcement" came from Shelby, not Ford - and wasn't reported-upon (at least initially) in tremendously accurate fashion. No such contract had been signed. Shelby made the unilateral statement that it had decided to extend an open-ended relationship with Ford, something to which Ford hadn't yet agreed, or had necessarily sought.

MUCH was presumed and mis-quoted. The reportage incorrectly gave the distinct impression that Shelby and Ford extended their development/marketing agreement for a substantial period beyond the existing contract and many people have been operating under that incorrect assumption. Until anybody sees a similar such announcement originating from Ford that includes specific models and model years, about the only safe assumption is that a continued relationship is possible.

But with so much of the relationship being marketing in nature, especially after Carroll's passing and Ford working so hard to raise awareness in North America of the ST and RS performance branding that's well-known elsewhere, I wouldn't assume ANYTHING until Jim Farley, Jamal Hameedi, Bill Ford or Alan Mulally goes on the record saying so. Especially with CAFE mandates becoming fully enforced in 2016, Ford may reduce the size of today's GT500 market segment in lieu of a far more exclusive, and more expensive successor - whether or not it bears the SHELBY brand.

While you're always likelier to find a better deal near or beyond the end of a particular model year, especially if the successive years' model is already on the lot and in regions where a vehicle like Mustang is subject to seasonal demand ebbs and flows, the case may be less so with 2014 Mustang - especially in smaller markets and if the 2014 car remains meaningfully unchanged.

Three things are known. 2013/14 is the last of the S197 cars, the 2015's are slated to be introduced to coincide with the 50th anniversary with full stocks ready to go for mid-April of 2014, and the 2015 (or 2014 1/2) car will be vastly different from what exists today - designed to be relevant for production and sale in global markets with MUCH less of a traditional American muscle car ethos.

People's affinity for Mustang may live-on alive and well, but their love for a 2015 Mustang that's more like a 370Z may not - especially among the GT500 core market. The remaining units in dealer stock may suddenly become FAR more desirable as the last available examples than ANYBODY may be imagining today. This isn't the changeover from 2011 to 2012, or even from 2012 to 2013 when a great many people are happy to save $10K for a car that essentially looks the same, STILL has more than enough horsepower to meet THEIR particular preference but is better-suited for their wallets.

It's also important to understand the REAL state of the Shelby/Ford "agreement". The so-called "announcement" came from Shelby, not Ford - and wasn't reported-upon (at least initially) in tremendously accurate fashion. No such contract had been signed. Shelby made the unilateral statement that it had decided to extend an open-ended relationship with Ford, something to which Ford hadn't yet agreed, or had necessarily sought.

MUCH was presumed and mis-quoted. The reportage incorrectly gave the distinct impression that Shelby and Ford extended their development/marketing agreement for a substantial period beyond the existing contract and many people have been operating under that incorrect assumption. Until anybody sees a similar such announcement originating from Ford that includes specific models and model years, about the only safe assumption is that a continued relationship is possible.

But with so much of the relationship being marketing in nature, especially after Carroll's passing and Ford working so hard to raise awareness in North America of the ST and RS performance branding that's well-known elsewhere, I wouldn't assume ANYTHING until Jim Farley, Jamal Hameedi, Bill Ford or Alan Mulally goes on the record saying so. Especially with CAFE mandates becoming fully enforced in 2016, Ford may reduce the size of today's GT500 market segment in lieu of a far more exclusive, and more expensive successor - whether or not it bears the SHELBY brand.

Madlock,

Do you see the same thing applying to the 2013 Boss 302 later this year, early next? If so, then between the (base and LS) Boss and (base and SVTPP/Track-Pack) Shelby... which one will command more of a premium as a percentage of MSRP?

I can't believe this crap is still going on! When I bought my '08 GT500 'Vert, I found it on E-Bay and bought it from Indiana. I lived in North Jersey at the time and the dealers there thought they were giving it away with a 10k ADM! Then the great GT500KR came out. Holy sh*#%T! I saw 50k ADM's on them. By the time the 2010's rolled out, these same dealers were taking X plan on them. Now that I'm thinking about a new '13 'Vert, I'm getting the same old "limited production" B.S. from the dealer here in Florida. I'll pay MSRP and will even go as far as saying that's fair; but, enough trying to stick it up my tailpipe!

The ONLY thing "limited" about them is any one dealer's ability to get allocation. Otherwise, dealers really ARE holding firm based upon demand and Ford strictly enforcing turn and earn allocation.

The word has even spread to smaller markets where dealers aren't even CLOSE to having had them on their floorplans long enough or late enough to move them JUST to avoid getting stuck.

It MAY get better in certain markets later in the year as the seasons change, but I wouldn't count on much - even when the '14s arrive which aren't likely to differ in any meaningful way and will be the last of the S197 sledgehammers before moving it becomes more of a scalpel and twin turbos start ruling the day.

Of course there will be exceptions, but they're likely to be rare and from only what's already been made. It's all going to depend upon who gets how many allocations at balance out and whether THOSE are already spoken for.

Although Ford itself isn't profiting directly from the ADMs, the fact that they exist (for a $70K Mustang no less) is a testament to both EXACTLY the sign of a well-run car maker SHOULD be doing by delivering phenomenal products people are willing to pay a premium to own and then building one fewer than demand would dictate - rather than Ford flooding dealer lots with stock and then needing to pay customers to take them off dealers' hands.

Determining the lowest possible volume at which Ford can operate profitably and fanatically staying on the right side of the demand curve is responsible for about 80% of the success Ford had won since undertaking to reinvent itself.

The Ford brand now has real value and so do its products, which is why residual values are remaining so high - and so the cycle perpetuated itself rather than feeding upon itself in the manner that drove GM and Chrysler to insolvency.

Anyway, about 2,500 have already been VIN assigned, and I wouldn't bet on more than 4,000 being made for the whole of '13.

Who will come out worse? The guy who paus sticket today to get exactly what he wants or pays sticker tomorrow to get what the sales manager wanted to order? It's a real dilemma.

My $.02, from recent, practical experience, FWIW:

First, you can buy the '13 GT500s today for MSRP. I haven't located anyone yet who will sell below, but I've found two cars at MSRP (keep in mind, I've been shopping for verts, so I can't speak to coupe pricing). I've also found dealers selling Boss 302 Laguna Seca's at MSRP, even if they start with an ADM (again, I hadn't found anyone going below sticker, but have since passed on the Boss and decided on the GT500 instead). The internet is your friend. Be wiling to shop and travel, and you can get a deal--that said, if you want a car that's not black, you're going to have to work harder at it. Seems every dealer out there ordered a black on black coupe. :shrug:

I can tell you that there's not much out there in the way of unsold dealer stock. I have no idea when they're going to transition from MY13 to MY14, so it's hard to speculate how many more 13s they'll build, but it would seem that currently demand is definitely outstripping supply.

There are VERY few convertibles out there. A disproportionate percentage of convertibles always wind up being built for Canada to begin with, but that rate is even higher this year at the same time so many fewer convertibles are being built altogether. Other export markets are also getting more than their fair share of drop tops. The ideal situation really is to have had a '12 convertible and a '13 coupe.

You're absolutely correct about Black more than 1 in 3, and about 1/2 of those are Black on Black - the most popular color combination by far - accounting for nearly 16% of all GT500's made. It's also the "go to" color for dealer stock - with non-black cars seeming to go to either customers who've ordered them that way or dealers with multiple simultaneous allocations for the sake of stock variety.

With the '15 being a fixed stake in the ground given the 50th Anniversary date being well-known in advance and the tooling changeover that will be required if indeed the next version will also be built in Flat Rock, the 13-14 model year span almost has no choice but to be abbreviated. If I had to bet money, I suspect '14 will be the shorter of the two, but I also think '13 will wind-up being more like '12 than '11 timing-wise.

Well, your ideal situation doesn't line up very well with my budget... :D You've definitely got a good inside line on data. When is the end date for MY13?

No idea. But I'd GUESS the order banks are likely to close within the next 6 weeks.

Anyway, about 2,500 have already been VIN assigned, and I wouldn't bet on more than 4,000 being made for the whole of '13.

Who will come out worse? The guy who pays sticker today to get exactly what he wants or pays sticker tomorrow to get what the sales manager wanted to order? It's a real dilemma.

I'm the guy that's willing to pay sticker today. Except, my local dealer wants way over sticker. He says he has one allocation left and won't waste it on a MSRP deal. Even though he loves my '08 GT500 'vert as a trade. The other three Ford dealers 1/2 way close to me say their allocation is all gone. At least they were honest and didn't take a deposit knowing they can't get the car. They also said everyone they sold went for over sticker.

My $.02, from recent, practical experience, FWIW:

First, you can buy the '13 GT500s today for MSRP. I haven't located anyone yet who will sell below, but I've found two cars at MSRP (keep in mind, I've been shopping for verts, so I can't speak to coupe pricing). I've also found dealers selling Boss 302 Laguna Seca's at MSRP, even if they start with an ADM (again, I hadn't found anyone going below sticker, but have since passed on the Boss and decided on the GT500 instead).

I'm looking for a 'vert as well. There's none on E-Bay. I can't find one anywhere for MSRP. You're right about the Boss 302's. All of the dealers I went to had at least one Boss in stock. My local dealer wanted 10k over; but, the other three wanted 5k over. And those three said that was just a starting point. Two of them said If you do the deal today, they would take sticker. Too bad I want a 'vert.

There are VERY few convertibles out there. A disproportionate percentage of convertibles always wind up being built for Canada to begin with, but that rate is even higher this year at the same time so many fewer convertibles are being built altogether. Other export markets are also getting more than their fair share of drop tops. The ideal situation really is to have had a '12 convertible and a '13 coupe.

That's exactly what one of the dealers stated as well. Most of the 'verts are being exported. I jokingly said that's what I get for wanting to buy an American car - they're being shipped overseas!

So the question is: are the remaing +/- 1,500 vehicles spoken for? Any dealer out there willing to order one at MSRP? I'm in N.E. Florida

So the question is: are the remaing +/- 1,500 vehicles spoken for? Any dealer out there willing to order one at MSRP? I'm in N.E. Florida

I'm not a whole lot of help for FL; I'm in Alaska so all my searching was west of the MS. I didn't want to wait for an order, as winter is coming too soon, so I searched for what cars that already had VINs assigned. If you go to DealerConnection, you can search every dealer's inventory, for both in stock, and on order, and see window sticker. From there, when I found cars I was interested in, I emailed the internet sales manager, informed him what I was looking for, and asked for a best offer price. It at least got me in the ballpark. I will tell you not to let the ADM deter you. If you find the car you want, offer MSRP, no matter how silly the ADM seems to be.

Only place i found that had allocations and was willing to order was Galpin Ford in LA, and they wanted $15k ADM.

That's exactly what one of the dealers stated as well. Most of the 'verts are being exported. I jokingly said that's what I get for wanting to buy an American car - they're being shipped overseas!

It's not like Ford will only make "so many" Convertibles. I'm sure there is a limit that's largely academic as Ford was even less likely to reach it this year than any other. Canada has always been that way with Convertibles. Maybe Canada's longer, colder winters and fewer ideal driving days compel them to want to make the most of them by buying the most versatile versions of certain models..

All I know is I never expected Ford to go so bonkers with the '13. Had I, I'd have kept the '12 convertible my dealer mis-ordered rather having one of the last unsold Coupes spec'd as I wanted trucked-in instead. Not much to be done about hindsight without the benefit of foresight, I s'pose. But, given the limitations imposed upon the engine and suspension to tame them to a Convertible chassis, the difference between the 5.4L (or even the 5.8L) and a supercharged Coyote convertible is much narrower than the Coupes.

With the FAR wider assortment of colors, better feature options and MUCH lower price, supercharging and upgrading a GT Convertible might yield a car that's BOTH better to own and FAR more affordable. Hell, a GT 'Vert can even become a GT350 for nearly the same price while being better optioned, rarer and having a bit of actual Shelby mojo - the kind that comes from sending a car to Vegas rather than a mere licensing agreement. Even without Shelby, the GT's performance and appearance possibilities are limitless. About all that'd be missing would be the Cobra emblems and trunk lettering. Hell, if you're buying a 'Vert more for its cruising and touring chops anyway, why not even consider *audible gasp* an automatic? None are TOO painful alternatives if you can't find a dealer that's willing to be reasonable.

I DO think, as others have also mentioned, you need to be willing to take distance out of the equation and go where the cars are. Your chances will improve exponentially if you consider buying by remote control and trucking home the car or flying out to pick it up and make a road trip out of driving it back. Some dealers WILL get supplemental allocations at balance out, but nobody can predict in advance which stores will get how many.

Your holy grail would be to find a car in the pipe that's exactly as you want being built for a store that's ordered it for its inventory and make a "quick turn" offer that MIGHT allow the dealer to get another allocation. Unfortunately, Convertibles are rare enough to begin with - let alone ones exactly as you'd like that are ordered but not yet delivered. Factor-in the number of units taken out of circulation by dealer principals driving them around as toys and expecting customers to fund his company car policy and you're left chasing a commodity that's both valuable AND rare. At the end of the day, a whole lot of people will be left only with the ability to hope the dealers who are sitting on them with stratospheric ADMs will wind-up choking on them come winter.

So, what would be the specs for your ideal 2013 GT500 Convertible? (P.S. So few have been made so far that not even all color combinations are yet represented).

I'm not a whole lot of help for FL; I'm in Alaska so all my searching was west of the MS. I didn't want to wait for an order, as winter is coming too soon, so I searched for what cars that already had VINs assigned. If you go to DealerConnection, you can search every dealer's inventory, for both in stock, and on order, and see window sticker. From there, when I found cars I was interested in, I emailed the internet sales manager, informed him what I was looking for, and asked for a best offer price. It at least got me in the ballpark. I will tell you not to let the ADM deter you. If you find the car you want, offer MSRP, no matter how silly the ADM seems to be.

Only place i found that had allocations and was willing to order was Galpin Ford in LA, and they wanted $15k ADM.

dealerconnection.com is a good resource, but it's also a WHOLE lot of manual labor. Also, only vehicles that have been invoiced and VIN assigned can appear, and dealers can (and often do) withhold certain cars from view - especially when they intend upon selling them locally and demanding huge ADMs, as it also removes the car from visibility to other dealers so they don't have to deal with broker and dealer trade inquiries.

Other invaluable resources are cars.com and autotrader.com that also list dealers' new car inventories on a nondenominational basis and often include vehicles dealers have removed from view within Ford's system because it's managed entirely differently and draws data from different sources. You can also get a better idea of relative distances and so forth. I'm not suggesting anybody should consider them as "either/or" resources, but "and" tools.

If you go to DealerConnection, you can search every dealer's inventory, for both in stock, and on order, and see window sticker. From there, when I found cars I was interested in, I emailed the internet sales manager, informed him what I was looking for, and asked for a best offer price. It at least got me in the ballpark. I will tell you not to let the ADM deter you. If you find the car you want, offer MSRP, no matter how silly the ADM seems to be.

Thanks for your help. I'll give that a try

With the FAR wider assortment of colors, better feature options and MUCH lower price, supercharging and upgrading a GT Convertible might yield a car that's BOTH better to own and FAR more affordable. Hell, a GT 'Vert can even become a GT350 for nearly the same price while being better optioned, rarer and having a bit of actual Shelby mojo - the kind that comes from sending a car to Vegas rather than a mere licensing agreement. Even without Shelby, the GT's performance and appearance possibilities are limitless. About all that'd be missing would be the Cobra emblems and trunk lettering. Hell, if you're buying a 'Vert more for its cruising and touring chops anyway, why not even consider *audible gasp* an automatic? None are TOO painful alternatives if you can't find a dealer that's willing to be reasonable.

I DO think, as others have also mentioned, you need to be willing to take distance out of the equation and go where the cars are. Your chances will improve exponentially if you consider buying by remote control and trucking home the car or flying out to pick it up and make a road trip out of driving it back. Some dealers WILL get supplemental allocations at balance out, but nobody can predict in advance which stores will get how many.

So, what would be the specs for your ideal 2013 GT500 Convertible? (P.S. So few have been made so far that not even all color combinations are yet represented).

Thanks; but, a regular GT won't do it for me. I wish it would. I've owned a '95 Cobra vert, a '99 Cobra, an '03 10th Anniversary Cobra 'vert and now my '08. The looks/comments this car gets is incredible. This weekend I stopped at Dodge, Chevy, and Ford looking at SRT 8's, ZL-1's and Shelbys. When I pulled into the parking lot, people's heads just turn. Conversations stop, etc. I guess that's why everyone on this site loves it.

Idea car: Black Convertible with red stripes, Performance Package, Recaro's, Pro Shaker, No Nav or electronics package. Race Red with black stripes would be nice too.

It's nice to dream, I guess.

Other invaluable resources are cars.com and autotrader.com that also list dealers' new car inventories on a nondenominational basis and often include vehicles dealers have removed from view within Ford's system because it's managed entirely differently and draws data from different sources. You can also get a better idea of relative distances and so forth. I'm not suggesting anybody should consider them as "either/or" resources, but "and" tools.

Thanks. I just found the perfect car. It's got the electronics package; but, I wasn't specing that out for money reasons. Problem is, it's one of the dealers where I used to live that wanted 15k over back in '08. I can only imagine what they want on this. I'll call Tuesday and let you know how I make out.

Archived