TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Project

fordmanpa

I am in the process of totaly restoring a 1965 Sunbeam Tiger. I have the car in new paint. I plan to start putting the car back together later this fall. (I am currently finishing the custom restoration of a 1964 Ranchero -- Boss 351/ toploader 4 speed).

(Just did a preview of the post. The pictures are really small in the preview. Don't know if they will be larger in the actual post, hoping so).

Tiger1.jpg

Tiger2.jpg

Tiger3.jpg

Tiger4.jpg

Tiger1.jpg

Tiger2.jpg

Tiger3.jpg

Tiger4.jpg

BRG - sure is going to be a pretty car. They were great machines and fun to drive. We saw a right hand drive one on a car lot in England back in the 80's - have a photo of it in one of our albums. Keep us posted on the cars progress.

Wayne the car was originally BRG. I decided to go with a change of color (my preference) to the 1967 Shelby Mustang Dark Moss Green. I have not kept the car original -- change in motor, brakes and rear end (looks stock but is now a 331 ci motor, larger Wildwood front disc brakes, '94 mustang rear disc brakes, and detroit locker rear end 3:07:1 in original Tiger housing with 30 spline axles). Will post more as I get the project underway.

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts.

As a previous Tiger owner myself (B947 car in Carnival Red), I've always had a soft spot for these...

Two nice ones showed up at the Cobra Reunion in Pomona this past weekend

Keep the pix coming :camera:

They are fun cars, I had a 1965 all stock with the 260 ci Ford engine with 4bl carb. My only problem was it was hard to get to some of the spark plugs and for the one I had to jack up the engine on one side to clear it. the guy I bought it from never told me about that. But I guess when they took the Alpine with the inline four and turned it into a Tiger they did the best they could to shoe horn in the V8.

I think they came with a 2 barrell carb. I sold a 4 barrell to a guy that had one back in 66 or 67 - his was all stock and he wanted to juice it up a little. In any case they were and still are great cars.

So far looks great, love the Cobra vents in the fenders. Mine should be home from paint in a week or so, it's been a long 5 months, ugh. Here is a teaser pic. The car is a stock color, but it looks a little brighter in this pic.

uy2v7.jpg

Hi Cobrakidz,

Your car looks GREAT! I am sure you're will be done and on the road before mine hits the pavement.

The engine vents are actually an LAT Option #41. They are a remake of an original pair. They are functional, extracting hot air out of the engine compartment.

The hood on my car is the original metal hood. It had a hole cut in and four screw anchor holes around it. Apparently someone had mounted a tach or mirror or what not on the hood close to the driver. Rather than repair it I made a template, made the internal extractor scoops from some 22 gauge metal and cut a hole in the center and attached a fiberglass cobra scoop. I think it turned out good.

Keep us informed of your project.

Thanks

Gene

• 4 weeks later...

While hopping around the internet I found this site and was excited to see some Tigers being restored- had to join the forum.

I am also in the process of resto-modding my 65 MK1 -- body work is almost done and getting ready for paint.

I hope you guys keep posting pics of your projects, as this is my first go round I may have to pick your brains a bit.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mine is done and has logged about 1300 miles so far---just after this picture I installed the new interior..

Gorgeous! I may be the only person I know (in my age group anyways) who knows this car even exists; I feel sorry for anyone that doesn't get to see this! If I had one, that is 100% exactly how I would want it to look. Very nice.

:drool:

What engine is in this car?

I believe Bruce still has the as equipped 260 in there....if not, I'm sure he will chime in.

Other than the 1967 MKII which had 289's, all others were 260 powered

Here is a pic of mine that I sold back in 1995, and yes, I do miss the car, a lot!

Tiger1 001.jpg

Tiger4 001.jpg

I believe Bruce still has the as equipped 260 in there....if not, I'm sure he will chime in.

Other than the 1967 MKII which had 289's, all others were 260 powered

Here is a pic of mine that I sold back in 1995, and yes, I do miss the car, a lot!

Very nice... And thanks for the info.

• 3 months later...

Archived