TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My Kenne Bell Install; Turn your car into a monster

FordGeek

Ladies and gents,

As I stated in another post, I've now installed a stage 3 Kenne Bell in my Shelby and life will never be the same. The car feels so light now it's amazing - it feels like the bottleneck at the intake has been lifted and I can smoke the tires at will in just about any gear! Of course, before going to the track I need to figure out how the heck to get 700 plus rwhp to the ground; I couldn't do much with 570, imagine the problem now. But I'll save that one for another story. Here are a few pictures of the kit on my car. WARNING!!!! if you have a sensitive stomach you may not want to see the picture of the cut you have to make in the hood cross brace to clear the blower assembly. Again, not a big deal for me; I'm a driver not a collector. Do I recommend it? HELL YES! If I can get this thing to hook I'm pretty sure they'll be few things on the road that can touch me. Sorry about the crumby picture selection, the rest came out so blurry and muddy they're pretty worthless; again, I love cars, not cameras.

Kind Regards,

Joseph (FordGeek)

post-2843-1176358337_thumb.jpg

post-2843-1176358444_thumb.jpg

post-2843-1176358466_thumb.jpg

post-2843-1176358489_thumb.jpg

post-2843-1176358514_thumb.jpg

post-2843-1176358543_thumb.jpg

post-2843-1176358337_thumb.jpg

post-2843-1176358444_thumb.jpg

post-2843-1176358466_thumb.jpg

post-2843-1176358489_thumb.jpg

post-2843-1176358514_thumb.jpg

post-2843-1176358543_thumb.jpg

Ladies and gents,

As I stated in another post, I've now installed a stage 3 Kenne Bell in my Shelby and life will never be the same. The car feels so light now it's amazing - it feels like the bottleneck at the intake has been lifted and I can smoke the tires at will in just about any gear! Of course, before going to the track I need to figure out how the heck to get 700 plus rwhp to the ground; I couldn't do much with 570, imagine the problem now. But I'll save that one for another story. Here are a few pictures of the kit on my car. WARNING!!!! if you have a sensitive stomach you may not want to see the picture of the cut you have to make in the hood cross brace to clear the blower assembly. Again, not a big deal for me; I'm a driver not a collector. Do I recommend it? HELL YES! If I can get this thing to hook I'm pretty sure they'll be few things on the road that can touch me. Sorry about the crumby picture selection, the rest came out so blurry and muddy they're pretty worthless; again, I love cars, not cameras.

Kind Regards,

Joseph (FordGeek)

Joseph,

What gears do you have in there now. I'm still undecided. 17" wheels gives us so many more tire slections than 18". Most of my time will be on the street with the occasional trip to the track. I'm thinking 3.55's. What are your thought?

Joseph,

What gears do you have in there now. I'm still undecided. 17" wheels gives us so many more tire slections than 18". Most of my time will be on the street with the occasional trip to the track. I'm thinking 3.55's. What are your thought?

I have 4.10s and really like them. But, they're not for everyone and traction is always a problem with such steep gears. However, a good middle ground would be 3.73s. They still provide a nice seat of the pants feel without sacrificing too much in any other area. My terminator still has the stock 3.55s and they seem to work really well too for blown cars. If you can live with frequent shifts, a bit higher rpm at highway speed, and a little traction loss go with the steeper 4.10s, otherwise, go conservative and choose 3.73s or 3.55s.

Regards,

Joseph (FordGeek)

I have 4.10s and really like them. But, they're not for everyone and traction is always a problem with such steep gears. However, a good middle ground would be 3.73s. They still provide a nice seat of the pants feel without sacrificing too much in any other area. My terminator still has the stock 3.55s and they seem to work really well too for blown cars. If you can live with frequent shifts, a bit higher rpm at highway speed, and a little traction loss go with the steeper 4.10s, otherwise, go conservative and choose 3.73s or 3.55s.

Regards,

Joseph (FordGeek)

Joseph,

It looks kick ass! I'm sure it will run as good as it looks. I'm jealous--how much are they? :rolleyes: Regards and congratulations.

Stuart

Joseph,

It looks kick ass! I'm sure it will run as good as it looks. I'm jealous--how much are they? :rolleyes: Regards and congratulations.

Stuart

They're not cheap. It set me back $6,000 including shipping to my front door. But, the beauty is you can keep your car bone stock (although it is highly recommended to change out the two piece driveshaft) with a set of cooler spark plugs and get 800 rwhp with race fuel. The 2 7/8 pulley that comes with the kit will give you 700+ rwhp on pump gas. Trust me, though, I'm still running around with the 3 1/4 it comes standard with (yeah it's big ol' thing) and the car feels like a 12 cylinder. It simply has no limit. You can go with the stage 1 or 2, but I personally think the larger throttle body combo is what really makes the 5.4 come to life. I figured why bother experimenting anymore with bolt ons that eventually would set me back a few g's, when I can get my performance goals all within the span of the 12 hours or so it takes to install the kit. It's awesome.

Regards,

Joseph (FordGeek)

They're not cheap. It set me back $6,000 including shipping to my front door. But, the beauty is you can keep your car bone stock (although it is highly recommended to change out the two piece driveshaft) with a set of cooler spark plugs and get 800 rwhp with race fuel. The 2 7/8 pulley that comes with the kit will give you 700+ rwhp on pump gas. Trust me, though, I'm still running around with the 3 1/4 it comes standard with (yeah it's big ol' thing) and the car feels like a 12 cylinder. It simply has no limit. You can go with the stage 1 or 2, but I personally think the larger throttle body combo is what really makes the 5.4 come to life. I figured why bother experimenting anymore with bolt ons that eventually would set me back a few g's, when I can get my performance goals all within the span of the 12 hours or so it takes to install the kit. It's awesome.

Regards,

Joseph (FordGeek)

+1

I got 700 RWHP with the 3 inch pulley!

Regards,

Joseph (FordGeek)

Hmmm, 1/2 the cost of the 40th Anniversary Package, but twice the fun! :idea:

Ladies and gents,

Kind Regards,

Joseph (FordGeek)

That looks crazy cool. Love the big mean Kenny Bell blower assembly - very nice looking pieces.

I can't believe how easy that looks to install though!

Glad you like it, sounds like a monster for sure.

Ladies and gents,

Kind Regards,

Joseph (FordGeek)

Congrats Joe, thats one bad azz setup. :rockon:

Good luck with her bud.

Ladies and gents,

Kind Regards,

Joseph (FordGeek)

What a problem to have!!! Love at a touch of a throttle.. I think my evo exhaust and intake will make fine additions to the Bell I will get for my birthday present in June.. anticipation.... Best to you.

Of course, before going to the track I need to figure out how the heck to get 700 plus rwhp to the ground; I couldn't do much with 570, imagine the problem now....If I can get this thing to hook I'm pretty sure they'll be few things on the road that can touch me.(FordGeek)

I can barely get my stock GT500 to hook up most days. What are your plans?

I can barely get my stock GT500 to hook up most days. What are your plans?

Basically, wider rims and tires along with a full rear suspension revamp (LCAs/UCA, shocks, underbody support, etc...). I'll be spending quite a bit of time and money, I'm sure, trying to figure out the best combo. In the meantime, I'm simply easing off the throttle and not going for WOT very often. This works well and the power still comes on very strong. It's about finessing the car, not brutalizing it, in order to get the best results.

Regards,

Joseph

What a problem to have!!! Love at a touch of a throttle.. I think my evo exhaust and intake will make fine additions to the Bell I will get for my birthday present in June.. anticipation.... Best to you.

Your exhaust may assist so long as you still have your cats. However, you're going to have to dump the carbon fiber intake, or, go through some serious tuning if you still want to use it. The KB tune assumes either a stock airbox, or, the KB intake. The kit comes with a DiabloSport mass air flow extender that assists in keeping the fuel in check with all of the extra air coming in. The Evo/JLT tune does this by, among other things, manipulating the mass air flow curves via the tune itself. I didn't want the aggrevation so I went ahead and scrapped my JLT and opted to stick to the KB tune and intake. They're fully tested and give me plenty of tire frying HP.

Regards,

Joseph

Ladies and gents,

Kind Regards,

Joseph (FordGeek)

LOL what did you cut your hood out with a hatchet? j/k

LOL what did you cut your hood out with a hatchet? j/k

Cut me some slack - I didn't leave it like this. I went back and used a grinding wheel to smooth things out, and then used some small sanding drums to finish it up. I then cut the same pattern into the underhood lining and also applied matching fire retardent material to line the gash. It looks prety OM now and the "hatchet" look is long gone.

Regards,

Joseph

Archived