TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Next Generation Mustang

colt

I think if they go after people who are real young they may sell a lot of v6s and used gt's maybe even some new ones. But as far as a shelby or boss type kind of car. No young person can afford that unless they get money from their parents. The generation ford is after is basically just out of college. The economy sucks and the job market sucks. These people can't make the kind of money to throw 65k at a top of the line mustang let alone ANY car.

You have to target the audience who likes your car and can AFFORD to get one. If all the baby boomers are nostalgic about shelbys and can now afford one then make it for them so they will buy it.

But again Ford is then counting on the overseas market to pick up the slack. This may prove to be a bad move on their part and cause the downfall of mustangs. They have to tread VERY cautiously.

I think if they go after people who are real young they may sell a lot of v6s and used gt's maybe even some new ones. But as far as a shelby or boss type kind of car. No young person can afford that unless they get money from their parents. The generation ford is after is basically just out of college. The economy sucks and the job market sucks. These people can't make the kind of money to throw 65k at a top of the line mustang let alone ANY car.

You have to target the audience who likes your car and can AFFORD to get one. If all the baby boomers are nostalgic about shelbys and can now afford one then make it for them so they will buy it.

But again Ford is then counting on the overseas market to pick up the slack. This may prove to be a bad move on their part and cause the downfall of mustangs. They have to tread VERY cautiously.

+1. Aiming at younger buyers may indeed result in more overall sales, but less profit per car as they, for the most part, won't be able to afford the higher end versions of the Mustang. It's a bit strange that Ford would already disregard boomers as a worthy customer group. As far as I know, boomers still have several years of driving left before they stop buying cars, and have disposable income on top of that.

+1. Aiming at younger buyers may indeed result in more overall sales, but less profit per car as they, for the most part, won't be able to afford the higher end versions of the Mustang. It's a bit strange that Ford would already disregard boomers as a worthy customer group. As far as I know, boomers still have several years of driving left before they stop buying cars, and have disposable income on top of that.

It is strange. Hence my speculation that they think Europe will make up for the baby boomers. I mean I love the mustang because of the value you get for the car. But BMW, Audi, Infiniti, Nissan, and Mercedes are quickly catching up to Fords lead.

At the rate the top line mustangs are increasing they are getting real close to threshold of where a buyer may prefer a car like a GTR with much more performance and overall quality than a mustang.

Damn good point SVT13...... I can appreciate the Shelby 1000 for the Beast she is, but I can't buy one. I think Shelby has it right with cars like the gt350..Shelby GTs and the Terlingua (God I'd like to own a Terlingua). Mr. Shelby took a secretaries daily driver and turned it into a legend by giving us a respectible Track Car off the showroom at an acceptable price. I would encourage Shelby to continue with cars like the Terlinguas, and I mean real performers, not just a 5.0 with Shelby badgeing. Keep it under forty grand and damn I'll buy another one!

Damn good point SVT13...... I can appreciate the Shelby 1000 for the Beast she is, but I can't buy one. I think Shelby has it right with cars like the gt350..Shelby GTs and the Terlingua (God I'd like to own a Terlingua). Mr. Shelby took a secretaries daily driver and turned it into a legend by giving us a respectible Track Car off the showroom at an acceptable price. I would encourage Shelby to continue with cars like the Terlinguas, and I mean real performers, not just a 5.0 with Shelby badgeing. Keep it under forty grand and damn I'll buy another one!

Well Mr.Shelby passing is like Steve Jobs passing. We just have to wait and see if the companies can work without its great leaders.

Ideally what I would like ford to do with the shelby in 2014, which would immediately make me sell my 13 when it comes, as follows:

Keep supercharger and quad exhaust.

Upgrade interior, NO CHEAP PLASTIC. Padded surfaces maybe a little carbon fiber or suede etc

Add more suede to the recaros.

Add more carbon fiber pieces to the exterior like the zr1 has rockers, hood vent, splitter, diffuser, mirror covers, spoiler, hood, pillars (or at least make this an option like with the z06). Now this won't happen till around 2020 because Ford and Dow chemical are currently working on a cheap way to mass produce carbon fiber.

Make it lighter by at least 200 pounds

Add all the luxury stuff every other performance car in the world has (key less entry, push start ignition, heated side mirrors, torque vectoring or some form of PTM like on the camaro and corvettes, etc)

Keep glass roof

IRS and blistens like the ones on the GTR that have 3 modes and adjusts constantly within those modes (those are the blisten damptronics while the 13s are blisten ride control I believe its called), electronically adjustable ride height.

Keep it at 200 mph

Ti-VCT (I love the ford gt but still technology is an awesome thing I still don't know why the shelby is the only mustang without Ti-VCT) Something that changes constantly during driving is ALWAYS better than something that just stays fixed.

Forgot to mention ACTUALLY PUT TRUE FORGED RODS. LIke manley

If the 2014 shelby had all of these and they were able to sell it for around say 75k. I'd buy it in a heart beat and it would be literally the best bargain of the century.

But since Ford definitely wouldn't do all of this. An aftermarket company like SAI should really look into it, instead of just bolting on a bunch of aftermarket suspension parts and a huge supercharger that makes the car not handle nearly as well as it did stock.

The next-gen Mustang is simply a mystery, were all scared that Fords going to blow it again. I can only hope they put their best and brightest on the project and when we see the results, we will see a Mustang :shades: seems that it's out of our hands. However, as it applies to future-gen Shelbys... I like to believe they hear us, and as a result, the shelby community may have a hand in aspects of the shelbys to come. I would disagree with some who feel Shelby should add layers of luxury to the shelby lines. Mr. shelby didnt desighn cars to finesse around the competition, he built rabid pit bulls that ate the competition and crapped them out in the winners circle! Shelbys have always had grit, if the cars were beautifull... it was because form followed function. For the future-gen of Shelbys, you can build the Super Snakes the KR and the 1000's but I would hope they look at the Mustang GT and the V6's to see what kind of magic they can conjure up. Perhaps in the future they could save us time and money by putting the "GOOD" stuff on the car to begin with, like Fay watts rear suspension, lowering spring, coil overs, heavy duty anti sway bars etc. You know, all that stuff we put on after we get the car, I'd much rather have that, than alot of High Tech and gadgets Just MHO :tumbleweed:

If thats truly the next generation, I'm never buying one. It doen't even look close to a Mustang, let alone an American car. With the 50th anniversary looming, is the how far, or low, the car has come? :barf:

I learned to drive in my parents '67 coupe. I met and dated my wife in that car. Ford lost me after the 1970 body. I went Firebird and Chevelle until I saw my first 2005 Mustang. I had to wait until the 2007 model year to buy one and it turned out to be Shelby GT to boot. :happy feet: It took 40 years for Ford to come to their senses.

I actually like the latest evolution of the Edmonds version. The new car has to evolve. Camaro sales are increasing due to the new 'transformer" look and the customers are saying there is not enough to differentiate between the old and new mustangs. Customers spend a lot of money on a new Mustang and want to be recognized as a new car not a car that looks like the past several years. This is a natural evolution. And change is inevitable. Yes I agree with forged rods and also forged pistons. Keep the cast crank. And for all that refuse to accept change I can only say............who moved my cheese? CS acknowledged and accepted constant change. As long as it is change for the better and not just change for the sake of change. I am sure Alan Mullaly will ensure change is for the better.

I have to disagree, look at the fox bodies.That platform and basic look lasted from 1979-1993 and they were always selling.I never heard of anyone saying that the Mustang needs a change, especially a retro look that everyone loves.It took a movie to get people to want the new Camaro,but the Mustang is an American icon.So mabey the change your reffering to needs to be negative,because I am pretty sure that is where its heading to with the new Evo-UnAmerican look! I am sure you could ask anyone on this planet if they like the Mustang and you will get positive feedback.Please Ford,don't be stupid!

I have to disagree, look at the fox bodies.That platform and basic look lasted from 1979-1993 and they were always selling.I never heard of anyone saying that the Mustang needs a change, especially a retro look that everyone loves.It took a movie to get people to want the new Camaro,but the Mustang is an American icon.So mabey the change your reffering to needs to be negative,because I am pretty sure that is where its heading to with the new Evo-UnAmerican look! I am sure you could ask anyone on this planet if they like the Mustang and you will get positive feedback.Please Ford,don't be stupid!

It may be true the 1979-1993 Mustangs sold well, but the market - I mean target customer - has changed. With the tiny segment accounted for by Shelby enthusiasts excepted, not too many post-Boomers with excess spendable have any interest in heritage older than a couple of video-game generations. It's got to "pop" to get a foot in the door.

It may be true the 1979-1993 Mustangs sold well, but the market - I mean target customer - has changed. With the tiny segment accounted for by Shelby enthusiasts excepted, not too many post-Boomers with excess spendable have any interest in heritage older than a couple of video-game generations. It's got to "pop" to get a foot in the door.

I here you, but I still think the retro look has a big following from the new generation.

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw this artist's (Jon Sibal) rendition on Ford GT500.com. The design tweaks using current model details look much cleaner then everything else I've seen so far. (Personally I'd like to see the lower body line contour raised up to help give the appearance of more length) Hopefully this is closer to the next generation look.

post-31184-0-61891700-1339256544_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-61891700-1339256544_thumb.jpg

I just saw this artist's (Jon Sibal) rendition on Ford GT500.com. The design tweaks using current model details look much cleaner then everything else I've seen so far. (Personally I'd like to see the lower body line contour raised up to help give the appearance of more length) Hopefully this is closer to the next generation look.

I like the Hips on this.

it looks like Ford learned a lesson from GM and did not limit the greenhouse of the vehicle. There is plenty of glass and spacing for the windshield and side windows. It does not give that crushed look of the Camaro or instill claustrophobia.

Archived