TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Van

Jdolt

Agree with the other comments. I'm really confused on why you would remove the information? You personally know how hard it is to find any information on this vehicle. If you remove it, you make it even harder for anybody else out there who has one to document their van. But it's your information to do with as you please, so do what you want.

P.S. If you are trying to sell the van, you should just state, "I want to sell the van and this is how much I want for it". You might get somebody who would want to buy it that way. If you're just fishing for an offer, not many people are going to respond. If you list what you want, you'd be more likely to get an offer.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in 2009 there was a discussion about '89 Dodge Shelby B250 Safari Conversion vans and some pics were posted. Someone, a moderator I assume, spoke of researching the VINs to see how many vans were still registered. Any results of that research?

I own one. Nearly pristine interior, few exterior faults, 157,000 miles and acquired from an 80 year old friend that passed shortly after my buying the van from him. So, as a proud Ironworker, he owned the van from '91 and prized it. He could no longer keep, maintain or drive it so he wanted, INSISTED, I have it because I'd teased that if he ever sold it I wanted 1st chance.

SO, I'd like to know how many may be left. This van was "Salvage" titled after a minor fender-bender that only damaged the bumper, but because the insurance company could NOT find value-related data on a van nobody would admit existed and simpy "salvaged" it back to him as totalled. I will get pics all-round it and post them sometime in the future, depending on interest shown by response to this post. I'm going to DMV today to do the transfer and get a non-op on it until I can buy tires and insurance.

Any interest out there?

Preserving original content.

Thanks for the interest. I'll get it into a better position, in a tight carport right now, and will take pics all around and inside and post 'em within the next day or 3. I looked at the other thread pics and mine is the same but for in better condition all round and the wheels on mine are "native" mags that need polishing, not white like the other. Which the guy said the frame was rusted away and had to let it go to the crusher. Somewhere in MO? Only thing about mine is that the original fiberglas spare tire cover was rotted years ago and Grady, the owner I got it from, had repalced it with a chrome ring and "naugahyde"(sp?) cover. 318, single-point/throttle-body fuel injected and runs like a top. No, not around in little tight circles!! Runs really smooth, powerful and quiet. I'd said 157,000 but actually only 111,000 miles. I gotta close this and get about other things. Pics to come....................

Jdolt

O.K., Pics are up and published. Here's the album URL: http://www.teamshelb...elby-dodge-van/ 18 pics just to prove Shelby DID license the name to SAFARI VAN CONVERSIONS. The van has a small bit of skin cancer in 3 places, drivers windshield pillar and a couple small places rear gutter. It's been repainted at least once to repair the lousy paint EeePeeAee left us with and PeePeeGee provided. Always used original scheme and color matching to original. I'm fairly certain the mileage is 111,920, as shown in the pic of the speedo, and no more, but anything is possible. The tranny, which was a lemon series of this year model has been rebuilt at least twice. Any other questions, let me know. I forgot to get a pic of the hood opened but it looks, for all intents and purposes, the same as the other thread pics from 2009, EXCEPT, mine has a cutsie "courtesy light" reel on the hood that allows you to pull out a fixture with a 57 bulb in it and light up all the way to the rear of the van for any emergency then it will reel back in when you're done. Still works but needs a bulb, thinking of replacing the original with an LED. Hope you like the pics.

Just added the pic of the "Limited Production" plaque showing my van was number 014. Didn't even know it was there, under the dash protector, saw the pic of a VERY blurry one in the 2009 set of posts and pics and decided to look tonight. Found it and was jazzed how clean and preserved the dash is, thanks to the custom protector covering it for who knows how long.

This is a duplicate posting of the one in the Shelby Dodge Forum "89 Shelby Dodge Van".

Now that I've been lectured about membership here, you should all know that my purpose was to learn, more than anything. When I put up the pics and contacted the registry guy all I found was that I seemed to have the only info on the existence or history of these vans. The registry guy didn't bother to respond to ANY of my questions or my request to register the van, so you seem to be the ones with "attitude". Anything in this world is for sale at the right price but this van is NOT all that valuable, NO-ONE has to lecture me on THAT.

All my requests for advice on errors/problems related to my content or membership here brought ZERO input from site owners OR administrators, ................ nothing more to be said. I'll leave the pics I've left in "My Gallery" up but only stay offsite and reply to any future questions or posts asking for a response.

Dude, you're getting love from us......fellow members and Dodge lovers. What do you care about the opinions of site owners/admins for??? p.s - admins at the end of the day are just regular members like you & I. If they don't take an interest, whatever, right? What info do you need that you haven't received already? Let me know. When it comes to Dodges, I'm your man.

Seriously though, you really should dial it back a notch, because we're being nice, but you're starting to come across all wrong. But I get your frustration. Lets be adults here. I'm a nice guy, and I'm sure you are too, so just keep it fun and care free....why all the Internet stress? Lets grab a beer and chill. Forget about the rest.

Now it's time for another Shelby van, just so yours isn't lonely. $2600 and this mint baby could have been anybody's!

5E95Hb5J53Mf3Id3Jec611586a749422b10b2.jpg

5L75F85Jd3Ge3I73Nec616cb11188d4121299.jpg

Both of those vans are awesome - it's so very cool to see something that's new...to me at least...in the Shelby history books.

No the Dodge vehicles don't get their fair share of the limelight but who says that makes them any less deserving?

I'd love to have a clean example of a Dodge Shelby to keep my CS6 company. If I could envision what use I'd get out of one I'd take either of the Shelby vans home.

• 1 month later...

Well, my daily driver's trans died and would take too long and too much to fix, so I retired it and put the Shelby on the road. Drives like a Dodge van should, starts instantly and is very comfortable. Everything but for the A/C works perfectly. So, all you that thought I wanted to sell it, tough luck, Dudes, it's mine until it drops now

• 10 months later...

I ran across number 30 today in La Mesa east of Sandy Eggo. Might be for sale. Waiting for a call back from the Handyman owner. If he approves I'll post a link to see it on google Maps. Down here visiting a couple weeks and working on home projects with my son. Anyone interested I will put in touch with the owner IF as I said he approves. A daily, but not daily, dependable driver according to the lady of the house.

Posted in my other forum entry to make sure it is seen.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

One of these van's just sold on Mecum for $1,300. I certainly would have paid that if I were there. Pretty cool. I wonder if it were one of these above?

It was Van #30 from the Ebay auction above. Looks like the seller would have done much better on ebay but never sold or took the offers. Sure it will show up again. Looks like the buyers at Mecum were joking around.:

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=AN1113-167670&entryRow=218&lottype=&startRow=217

Hey, JeffJ,

I have no idea, wasn't MY Number 014, I missed seeing that sale IF it was even on Velocity channel. See how little folks REALLY think of them? Not worth the trouble, in most cases. Like, I have over $3000 in mine, original purchase - plus all the stuff to bring it up-to-snuff for safety's sake. My buddy had lost ability to keep it serviced the last 4 to 5 years the way he had always done before. But it is still so comfortable to drive, IF I could afford the gas, 12 to a max of 17 MPG controls how much I drive it. Also wish I could afford to redo the A/C. Evaporator is rotted out. So NO day-time desert driving for ME.

The one at Mecum Might have been Number 30, since it did NOT sell through the ebay listings from what I could see. Went up twice and got no "reasonable" offers and didn't come up to the Reserve Price in the end. I was the one that spotted it, stopped and convinced the owner to put it up for sale. I knew I didn't want it but MINE brought so much interest I thought he might do well with it. WRONG AGAIN. Oh, well. I'm GOOD at THAT. :)

Still wish I knew how many were actually registered and how many still show as registered. THAT'S not gonna happen, but still would like to know.

Stay well and healthy!!

Later All.

Sad in a way, to only get a $1300 sale when he'd gotten offers to as much as $3450, was it, or maybe only $26-something, either way, a sure bring-down. Now I know I won't get anything near my investment if I have to sell in the next year. My interior and general paint is better, by far, than 030, but mine has some difficult skin-cancer up too near the windshield-driver's-side. Mine could also use some suspension work and parts. But it's safe and stable enuff for me. Just not sure I can continue to own 2 vehicles anymore. I took it to Arizona Oct. 2012 for a long-lost buddy's wedding and slept in it way better than any motel for 4 nites. Anyhow, gotta get to doing other stuff so have a great one and LATER.

One of these van's just sold on Mecum for $1,300. I certainly would have paid that if I were there. Pretty cool. I wonder if it were one of these above?

It was Van #30 from the Ebay auction above. Looks like the seller would have done much better on ebay but never sold or took the offers. Sure it will show up again. Looks like the buyers at Mecum were joking around.:

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=AN1113-167670&entryRow=218&lottype=&startRow=217

I doubt you would of bought it. Did you see some of guys walk up to look at it? They walked away shaking their heads. This thing had to be the biggest POS on the planet and must of set a record for lowest price paid for a running Shelby ever. Really sad.

And when you subtract the couple hundred dollars for selling the van thru Mecum it just reinforces that the seller should have accepted the ebay bid of $2,650

Obviously the seller was misled into thinking he had a gold mine and by thinking that way he gave away $1,700 that would have been in his pocket three months ago.

Steve

My interest when I drove by it back in May of this year and then a few days later spoke to the owner's wife was intended to allow any of you that had expressed interest in MY #014 a chance to own one. Not as nice inside as mine, but workable. Kinda like commercial fisherman's saying about ocean conditions, "Sloppy-but-workable." Not happening, as it turned out. Nice oddity, but only worth any '89 Dodge Conversion van with over 100k miles. From $5 to a max of around $2000 from what I've seen since I got mine. They ARE a quarter century OLD. And, as with MOST "family" vans, seldom properly cared for. Mine just happened to be owned by a man that knew the value of maintenence. Until 80-some-odd years caught up with the old iron worker, Grady Yandell.

I will try to keep HIS #014 as a memorial to a guy better than most and a true friend to anyone that he knew. Even some that weren't worthy.

BTW, #030 wasn't the ONLY van, truck or car the owner put up for sale after I stopped by. They owned several well used vehicles. 30 is the only one that got any notoriety that I know of. I sure wasn't interested OR able to buy any of them.

It's a shame they aren't bringing a higher dollar, although iif a vehicle is clean, it's all about finding the right buyer. Nothing Shelby Dodge is bringing huge money. Ultra low mileage/mint well documented CSXs and GLHSs (which are arguably the most collectible) don't crack $10k, so natually, a Ram Van isn't going to bring big bucks either. With that said, an old Ram Van in running condition is worth maybe $1k, so if you got $2k, you already got double what it would otherwise be worth haha.

I haven't really kept an eye out for one, but if a "clean" original one came about, I would probably go for it. Ebay isn't always the best market, because your audience would likely be people who weren't looking for a Shelby fan, but rather stumbled across were looking for an old Dodge van perhaps??. After all, what are the odds of someone going on ebay searching precisesly for a "Shelby Dodge Ram conversion van"? If one were to sell it locally, you might get a buyer who gets excited over it and buys it on impulse. I've sold a few cars that way.

• 1 month later...

Might be the guy that bought it at Mecum Anaheim for $1300 trying to recoup some of his money. Doesn't look like the previous seller at ebay to me. The owner is the only one really hurt through all this.

Buyer beware.

I bought #14 two years(?) ago, and have my investment over 4 grand without touching the exterior skin cancer and paint issues. Just to make it safe to drive. And it is, safe AND nice to drive, even tho it wanders a bit, kinda like my "mind". Full frontal, er, front suspension, would cure THAT, but that's not gonna happen any time soon. VERY nice to sleep in with a 3 inch memory foam topper for the sofa-bed. And won't be for sale until it has to be, my passing or poverty, which ever comes first.

It is just a 1989 Dodge van, bay windows, nice blue carpeting and upholstery inside with CS logos and Shelby White with Blue Bar Stripe paint outside. A basic 318 c.i., throttle-body injection and one of the weakest/least dependable overdrive trannys ever built by Chrysler/Dodge. Others were 360 c.i. but otherwise no other differences I've been able to find out about. Oh, yeah, #14 came with a 5 inch color tv in the overhead right behind the right side of the driver's head. I didn't see one of those in #30.

Archived