TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GTS Wheels

drucando

I wanted to put the Shelby GT500 rims on my GTS but Shelby sent me a picture of an all black GTS with their wheels on it and I liked the looks. American Muscle wanted ~$2K at the time of my GTS order for a similiar GT500 rim and Sumitomo tires. If I was buying a canyon carver I wanted a better tire and opted for the Shelby wheel and tire package for $2100. This package got great reviews in the Hot Rod Magazine video (

) so I bought it. The review of the GTS in Autoblog and the pictures (http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2011-shelby-gts-review/) really made me think I've made the correct choice.

post-35354-0-47743000-1334253326_thumb.jpg

post-35354-0-74760400-1334253336_thumb.jpg

post-35354-0-02450700-1334253349_thumb.jpg

Thanks! Shelby sent that to me too. My car will look almost exactly like the red/white one in the video. Mine will leave off the window louvers. Since my original Mustang is a "Mustang Club of America Edition," it will have the grey 18" wheels and the black decklid trim. Being from the northeast, I want to have two sets of wheels. I'd like to leave the original ford wheels for the winter and have a new set for the summer. I'm considering Chrome or Black GT4 wheels like the ones you are getting. I'm also considering SVT 2010 18"GT500 wheels or Silver 19" RTR wheels. I opted to wait on the procharger. I think I'll start a new topic on GTS superchargers too. I hear my car might make it into production next week!

Since my original Mustang is a "Mustang Club of America Edition," it will have the grey 18" wheels and the black decklid trim.

Cool!

My wife just bought a Kona Blue MCA Edition last week. She LOVES the MCA wheels, and we will leave them on if we do the GTS conversion. They're very cool.

She's not really into the black decklid trim, so that may go. She loved it on a red MCA, didn't like it on hers, though.

Jer

Here's a close up of the hood and grill area. I noted on the media photos that there were only screens in the brake duct inlets on the GT350 and no screen on the GTS hood. But here they are. I wish they were black though. The striping will be black.

post-35354-0-37418700-1334343335_thumb.jpg

post-35354-0-15158300-1334343349_thumb.jpg

post-35354-0-55126000-1334343360_thumb.jpg

post-35354-0-34053100-1334343370_thumb.jpg

post-35354-0-37418700-1334343335_thumb.jpg

post-35354-0-15158300-1334343349_thumb.jpg

post-35354-0-55126000-1334343360_thumb.jpg

post-35354-0-34053100-1334343370_thumb.jpg

Going to be an awesome GTS.

I run a set of the GT4 wheels from AM simular to the GTS wheels on the promo car and love them. I added a set of the the CS centercaps from MOSS and mounted some Nitto NT05's (after running thru two sets of F1's) from Discount Tire. Total cost to me for the wheels, center caps, and Nittos was ~$1700.

post-24566-0-95458100-1334343972_thumb.jpg

Nice!

I'd get the GT4's from AM too. Ever buy from CJ Pony or Late Model Restoration? Perhaps chrome-18x9/10. AM does not sell the "hypercoated" anymore. I want to ask Shelby what brand their GT4' wheels are. They only say that the supersnake wheels are Alcoa and the GT350 wheels are Cragar.

Still also considering the SVT or RTR's.

My GTS will be a daily driver, so I think 20" wheels would be to harsh.

Yes, I've purchased from both. Problem for me with LRS is I live in Texas and have to pay sales tax so rarely buy from them. Most other sites sell the same products at nearly the same price and I'm not charged tax.

I love the RTR wheel as well as the Drift from LRS and AMR from AM. But I'm with you, I wish all could be had in hypercoat though I would be happy with silver.

I went with 18x9 at all four corners with the GT4. The backspacing gives me more options with brakes in the future. I would like a set of 20's but only for show. For everything else I wouldnt go larger than 19's. For tires I now run 275/40/18 at each corner. Having the same size tire all around gives better handling balance and now I can rotate them to increase their longevity.

Give me a couple of days, but I "might" have a set of 4 Hypercoated GT4 18x9 w/255 Goodyear F1 Aysemetrics and TPMS already mounted available... Less than 5,000 miles and only 1 day out at the track during the 50th Bash... Might also need to change my Screen Name, but that's for another thread :drop:

Give me a couple of days, but I "might" have a set of 4 Hypercoated GT4 18x9 w/255 Goodyear F1 Aysemetrics and TPMS already mounted available... Less than 5,000 miles and only 1 day out at the track during the 50th Bash... Might also need to change my Screen Name, but that's for another thread :drop:

Now i am curious!

:drool: ....and I'm not talking about the wheels...

Witness protection program? :headscratch::)

Good info. Thanks. So a staggered setup does not handle as well? I like the idea of rotating tires and saving some cash. Good to hear that 275 all around works. I believe, in a V6 I need to add a part such as "steering rack stops" to get a wider tire to not rub in the front. Tim at Shelby said that the new GT500 wheels might rub on the v6.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what I am using for Track Tires on my BOSS 302 (GT4's @ 18x9 w/Nitto 255's on the Front & 18x10 w/Nitto 285's on the Rear)

post-8727-0-77924200-1336441506_thumb.jpg

Had them on my SGT, but took them off before I took it to the dealer...

Was also my wheel of choice had I opted to go with a Race Red w/White Stripes 2012 V-8 GTS...

These are the Hypercoated version that no longer come in the 18x9 size :o

But lucky for me (and another SGT owner) these leftover 18x10's were on sale for $100 per wheel, with free shipping, no sales tax and then I found a 10% off coupon making each wheel only $90 (not including center caps & TPMS)...

EDIT = I do need to lower and level the car in the near future to get the right look... But these 18" wheel & tires are half the cost of tearing up the OEM 19" wheels and Pirelli Tires at the track :hammer_self:

post-8727-0-77924200-1336441506_thumb.jpg

Here is what I am using for Track Tires on my BOSS 302 (GT4's @ 18x9 w/Nitto 255's on the Front & 18x10 w/Nitto 285's on the Rear)

IMAG0675.jpg

Had them on my SGT, but took them off before I took it to the dealer...

Was also my wheel of choice had I opted to go with a Race Red w/White Stripes 2012 V-8 GTS...

These are the Hypercoated version that no longer come in the 18x9 size :o

But lucky for me (and another SGT owner) these leftover 18x10's were on sale for $100 per wheel, with free shipping, no sales tax and then I found a 10% off coupon making each wheel only $90 (not including center caps & TPMS)...

EDIT = I do need to lower and level the car in the near future to get the right look... But these 18" wheel & tires are half the cost of tearing up the OEM 19" wheels and Pirelli Tires at the track :hammer_self:

The BOSS has a little bit of 0547 in her I see :happy feet: .......................I like your new killer stang even more now Gregg. :worship:

Good info. Interesting how the perormance packages now use 19"/20" over 18" when 18" are better. I guess they sell better because of "looks." I was also considering the 19" Boss 302s black/machined Laguna Seca wheels.

Wheel Spacers: Good or Bad?

Depends on the brand/make of spacer and how it's used/abused. Spacers are used in racing all the time, but the car was designed with the spacer in mind. For cruising the street a high quality spacer is perfectly fine, however the Mustang's suspension was not entended to use a spacer so I would not suggest it for the track.

Depends on the brand/make of spacer and how it's used/abused. Spacers are used in racing all the time, but the car was designed with the spacer in mind. For cruising the street a high quality spacer is perfectly fine, however the Mustang's suspension was not entended to use a spacer so I would not suggest it for the track.

Thanks.

What size are the GT4 wheels that are options for the GTS?

They are 18x9 all around.

• 3 weeks later...

SAI says that the GTS center caps can only be had with the tire/wheel upgrade package. However, I love my performance package wheels from Ford. Does anyone know if the S snake style center caps from Champion mustang or another supplier will fit the PP wheels? They look like they should.

My GTS sales order paperwork says my GTS with the upgrade wheel and tire package gets the 18X9.

That is actually what I want anyway.

19s look cool but having 19s on my BMW X5 Sport, 19s seem tricky to get that really good tire balance for them, a problem I never had before, and I think the low profile sidewalls make it too easy to scratch the sides of the rims if I scrape a curb while parallel parking.

And replacement tires will be cheaper for an 18 as opposed to a 19.

• 2 weeks later...

What size tires do they put on the 18x9? In some of the promotional photos, it looks like they squeeze 285's on the back with 255 in the front. The 18s look a lot bigger in person. I'm very happy with my 18x8 MCA wheels. I only wish they were wider.

A GT/California Special parks next to me at work and the difference between the 19's and my 18's is noticable up close but not all that much.

That said, I believe the car does call for a larger real wheel at least

Archived