TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Advice on my kids school

I can't wait for our 1st spanish President !!! He can instill the law to only speak spanish and have everything thats in english to spanish!!

Bueno jornada tu halitosis pestazo barrego empalmar !!

afición a los automóviles de axila

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking another language for half a day is not immersion. Language immersion only occurs when you 24/7 are exposed to another language, with nobody, zero, speaking english. I've done it many times for a week here and there with nobody speaking english. The learning curve is vertical. If even one person speaks english, it's ruined.

Kids are like sponges. Their brains are not hardwired with anything....a blank slate waiting to be filled. They can pick up another language in a snap. The earlier the better. Both my boys have stayed in Brazil for months at a time. They are fluent in a month. Speaking in complete sentences and conjugating verbs in portugese effortlessly. When I get down there, they have difficulty speaking english to me initially! But then snap-to after a day or so. Effortlessly switching between portugese and english. Amazing.

However....and here is the downfall of this, "noble effort", in what public schools are doing.........you've absolutely got to PRACTICE the new language. Or you will forget it. Both boys, at one point fluent in portugese, are now, just 2 years later, little different from me. It will come back a little when my inlaws come to visit. But will never be the same without full immersion.

This enabling of spanish is yet another political bombshell of a well known fact that you cannot please everyone all the time. As we in our government are repeatedly doing.

That there was even a referendum in Congress.....forcing Congress to take time with our tax payer dollars and actually have to VOTE....either for or against, spanish being our official language, blows my mind.

And also blows my mind that conversely, english has never been declared as the official language of the USA.

Learning another language is a great mental exercise and fuses many synapse' in the brain. Just as learning to play an instrument. But.....these classes should be offered as electives and kept in context of what they are. Not enabling spanish speaking only kids to go to school and offered under the guise of, "immersion" language training. That's nonsense.

Schools get money for ESL (English Second Language) kids. Because often they are from lower income families. And schools get money from the government for lower income families for lunch programs, etc..... They get the money, then use it to fit into their overall school budget as they see fit.

Finally, if you want your child to learn a language for business, have them learn chinese. They can study it for years, then go to China and live it and really learn it. English, chinese, and spanish, in that order, would be the languages of choice to learn for business around the world.

I'm against these, "immersion", classes. If the language is not spoken at home, the child will forget it without use. I just wish I spoke portugese fluently. Kids go to school, speaking english, and speak portugese at home...every single day. Over the years, they will be perfectly fluent in both. Unfortunately, wife is fluent in english (and german, and spanish, gets along well in italian, french and hebrew as she lived in Israel for a year), and because she is fluent in english, I'm too lazy to learn portugese.

English is the language of the USA...even if not official in our constitution. Languages should be offered as electives. Kids need to learn many other things in school rather than stumble along in spanish at this age.

No to kids in this, "immersion", crap!

Flame away.

Speaking another language for half a day is not immersion. Language immersion only occurs when you 24/7 are exposed to another language, with nobody, zero, speaking english. I've done it many times for a week here and there with nobody speaking english. The learning curve is vertical. If even one person speaks english, it's ruined.

Kids are like sponges. Their brains are not hardwired with anything....a blank slate waiting to be filled. They can pick up another language in a snap. The earlier the better. Both my boys have stayed in Brazil for months at a time. They are fluent in a month. Speaking in complete sentences and conjugating verbs in portugese effortlessly. When I get down there, they have difficulty speaking english to me initially! But then snap-to after a day or so. Effortlessly switching between portugese and english. Amazing.

However....and here is the downfall of this, "noble effort", in what public schools are doing.........you've absolutely got to PRACTICE the new language. Or you will forget it. Both boys, at one point fluent in portugese, are now, just 2 years later, little different from me. It will come back a little when my inlaws come to visit. But will never be the same without full immersion.

This enabling of spanish is yet another political bombshell of a well known fact that you cannot please everyone all the time. As we in our government are repeatedly doing.

That there was even a referendum in Congress.....forcing Congress to take time with our tax payer dollars and actually have to VOTE....either for or against, spanish being our official language, blows my mind.

And also blows my mind that conversely, english has never been declared as the official language of the USA.

Learning another language is a great mental exercise and fuses many synapse' in the brain. Just as learning to play an instrument. But.....these classes should be offered as electives and kept in context of what they are. Not enabling spanish speaking only kids to go to school and offered under the guise of, "immersion" language training. That's nonsense.

Schools get money for ESL (English Second Language) kids. Because often they are from lower income families. And schools get money from the government for lower income families for lunch programs, etc..... They get the money, then use it to fit into their overall school budget as they see fit.

Finally, if you want your child to learn a language for business, have them learn chinese. They can study it for years, then go to China and live it and really learn it. English, chinese, and spanish, in that order, would be the languages of choice to learn for business around the world.

I'm against these, "immersion", classes. If the language is not spoken at home, the child will forget it without use. I just wish I spoke portugese fluently. Kids go to school, speaking english, and speak portugese at home...every single day. Over the years, they will be perfectly fluent in both. Unfortunately, wife is fluent in english (and german, and spanish, gets along well in italian, french and hebrew as she lived in Israel for a year), and because she is fluent in english, I'm too lazy to learn portugese.

English is the language of the USA...even if not official in our constitution. Languages should be offered as electives. Kids need to learn many other things in school rather than stumble along in spanish at this age.

No to kids in this, "immersion", crap!

Flame away.

Great story and points !!! My daughter is picking the spanish up from some of the TV shows and a couple of her friends. I don't discourage her from speaking it but it does bother me. I understand spanish and have dated spanish speaking females but my wife speaks english. The only thing foregin my kid will learn is how to do martial arts the bone breaking classes. She does a self defense class since she is 3yrs old. I test her on the things she taught and even my neighbors kids they also go to the class. I think that is more important than learning a 2nd language. I'm the last person to raise my hands in violence but it seems that the bullies are more dangerous than before.

We are quite removed here in the midwest from any diversity whether it be cultural or religious. That is both bad and good. Our kids seem to do very well out in the "real world" after they go to college and in most cases leave these small communities because the job market is so narrow here. We do live close to the Native American reservations, however. and when you go to a ball game at their school you do not hear the National Anthem but the drums and chant in the Sioux language. You do feel like you are in another country for sure! There are only Catholic and Protestant churches. As the oil boom comes ever closer to us from North Dakota our world is certainly changing and not necessarily for the good. It will be interesting to see how it all evolves. But back to the point, there are ever increasing numbers of Spanish speaking people coming to the area and the hospital where I work has had people come in that only speak Spanish so have had to make arrangements for translation when necessary sometimes in an emergency situation.

The times they are a changing!

Yes times are changing but not in the way it should be!! I guess in a few months all TV shows will be in Spanish. Then next all traffic signs will be changed to accommodate the Spanish people who feel it's there country. Also you can not get any government or city job unless you speak Spanish. Then any foreigners looking to make the USA there home will have to learn to speak Spanish.

Archived