TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Door panel leather sagging

Just an FYI for other owners, particularly those that live in the south or can't garage their car full time. The door panel leather will eventually become unglued and need repair. My driver side started bubbling last summer and finally started falling down this week. I located this DIY repair at mustangforums. http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2009-s197-appearance-section/555655-door-panel-leather-sagging-fix.html

Let's see if it holds up. My passenger side is ok, for now, but is showing signs of slight bubbling. It will eventually need repair too. Couldn't the Ford engineers have seen this coming? With today's modern adhesives and testing procedures there's no excuse.

Both door panels on our 2005 GT Mustang have come loose and were repaired with 3M adhesive.

The door panels on our 2007 GT500 are just starting to show separation, and will be repaired with the same adhesive..

• 1 month later...

A Ford problem for sure. Mine is sagging and the 3M trim adhesive is basically worthless. Used to be a good product but on the Mustang panels isn't worth much. The foam backing on the door panel absorbs the adhesive causing the vinyl to come loose after a short time. Anyone that can come up with a long term solution will be greatly appreciated. regards, Larry

A Ford problem for sure. Mine is sagging and the 3M trim adhesive is basically worthless. Used to be a good product but on the Mustang panels isn't worth much. The foam backing on the door panel absorbs the adhesive causing the vinyl to come loose after a short time. Anyone that can come up with a long term solution will be greatly appreciated. regards, Larry

You have to peel the backing off, then remove the foam.. on both our cars, the foam will come off, by just rubbing it with your fingers, makes a mess, but vacuums up easily.

Once the dried out deteriorated foam is gone, the 3M trim adhesive (In the aerosol can) used as a two step contact adhesive works GREAT. We are going into our 3rd Centeral Texas summer on the 2005 GT Mustang with home repaired panels. Still holding strong, no sag, and look great.,

Archived