TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Paint Stripes Help

I wanted to see if anyone knows what kind of paint or paint code to use for the super snake stripes. I had some damage done to my stripes and need to replace them, but would prefer to have them painted on. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

2010 Shelby Super Snake.

I don't think you'll find any official paint code since the propper ones are stickers. They should be painted on by Shelby - our stickers were peeling off at delivery.

Any decent painter should be able to come up with paint similar to the stickers.

I saw a Ferrari 458 the other day with the painted gold stripe, it was AMAZING, beautiful finish. The guy told me the painted stripe was a $16k option !!

I don't think you'll find any official paint code since the propper ones are stickers. They should be painted on by Shelby - our stickers were peeling off at delivery.

Any decent painter should be able to come up with paint similar to the stickers.

I saw a Ferrari 458 the other day with the painted gold stripe, it was AMAZING, beautiful finish. The guy told me the painted stripe was a $16k option !!

Yikes!!!!

Shelby American gives the option to have the GT350 stripes painted on so I inquired about having the Supersnake stripes painted on.

They are not offering this option simply because the stripes are a matte black and matte white on the Supersnakes and painted dull matte colors would not look good imo. Gloss painted stripes on the other hand would look nice but this doesn't fall within the Supersnake "template".

At any rate good luck with yours!

• 1 month later...

I wanted to see if anyone knows what kind of paint or paint code to use for the super snake stripes. I had some damage done to my stripes and need to replace them, but would prefer to have them painted on. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

2010 Shelby Super Snake.

Harley-Davidson Motor Company started offering bikes painted with the matte finish a few years back. They call it "Denim" (Black or Blue).

I've seen both the H-D Denim Black and the Super Snake Matte Black and they look pretty similar so my suggestion would be to get the H-D paint code for Denim Black (should be available at any H-D dealer) and use that. You can see a Denim Black H-D at just about any H-D dealer too, if you want to see the color.

Phill

• 2 weeks later...

I just took delivery of my SS and there are red dots on the stripes on both sides. They don't come off and they can't be felt. We will see what Roger at SAI says I can do to fix it.

I just took delivery of my SS and there are red dots on the stripes on both sides. They don't come off and they can't be felt. We will see what Roger at SAI says I can do to fix it.

What the heck is going on with Quality Control at Shelby American?

Yours is minor compared to a friend of mines 2012 Super Snake, but it's still not good.

Phill

I had the taped stripes removed and the stripes painted. The body shop was able to color match the new stripes with the existing side rocker stripes perfect by using their paint analyzer.

Hope that helps .... Don

Is your picture showing the painted version in your signature, where you had them mimick the original contours but in paint?

Harley-Davidson Motor Company started offering bikes painted with the matte finish a few years back. They call it "Denim" (Black or Blue).

I've seen both the H-D Denim Black and the Super Snake Matte Black and they look pretty similar so my suggestion would be to get the H-D paint code for Denim Black (should be available at any H-D dealer) and use that. You can see a Denim Black H-D at just about any H-D dealer too, if you want to see the color.

Phill

I met a guy who had this paint. Its is designed to be "worn-in" with use. I would not paint my stripes with this paint. It is supposed to wear like Denim. And get a patina over time.

I met a guy who had this paint. Its is designed to be "worn-in" with use. I would not paint my stripes with this paint. It is supposed to wear like Denim. And get a patina over time.

I beg to differ. I'm very familiar with Harley's Denim paints and I don't believe for a second that it was "designed to wear in". That's just what the MoCo told their customers after they discovered their Denim paint was glossing over dud to the riders thighs and knees rubbing the tanks. It doesn't "wear-in" on the fenders, just the tanks (unless you strap something to a fender). There was not ONE iota of information regarding that "feature" prior to, or shortly after the release of the first Denim black Harley in about 2001 or 02.

That was Harley's "fix" to the problem...Tell their customers, "It's not a problem, it's a feature". Cheap fix, no?

I don't know about you but I personally don't know too many folks that would sit/stand there and rub their OTT stripes constanty, or enough to rub "wear-in" scuff marks on 'em!

I'd use H-D Denim paint with confidence if I were in the position of needing my stripes painted with it. It won't wear/scuff any more than any other Matte paint will. ANY matte paint will scuff like the H-D Denim paint will, provided you rub them hard/long enough.

YMMV,

Phill

What the heck is going on with Quality Control at Shelby American?

Yours is minor compared to a friend of mines 2012 Super Snake, but it's still not good.

Phill

All cars are quality control inspected 4 times prior to delivery. There are very detailed inspection sheets with every car. If it is rejected by the customer service representitive, it goes back to final detail. The process begins all over again and the same inspection is repeated until it is released. When the vehicle is picked up for delivery another inspection takes place with the customer service representitive and the driver of the transport. The final sign off is with the customer and the transporter. It is amazing what happens from the time the vehicle is in transit.

Roger

I beg to differ. I'm very familiar with Harley's Denim paints and I don't believe for a second that it was "designed to wear in". That's just what the MoCo told their customers after they discovered their Denim paint was glossing over dud to the riders thighs and knees rubbing the tanks. It doesn't "wear-in" on the fenders, just the tanks (unless you strap something to a fender). There was not ONE iota of information regarding that "feature" prior to, or shortly after the release of the first Denim black Harley in about 2001 or 02.

That was Harley's "fix" to the problem...Tell their customers, "It's not a problem, it's a feature". Cheap fix, no?

I don't know about you but I personally don't know too many folks that would sit/stand there and rub their OTT stripes constanty, or enough to rub "wear-in" scuff marks on 'em!

I'd use H-D Denim paint with confidence if I were in the position of needing my stripes painted with it. It won't wear/scuff any more than any other Matte paint will. ANY matte paint will scuff like the H-D Denim paint will, provided you rub them hard/long enough.

YMMV,

Phill

Yeah just what an owner with one told me, I ride Shovelheads and a DRZ so its not on my personal radar. I agree though if its flat its flat. I think there are some great custom flat automotive paints now correct? Taking aim at the rat rod crowd?

Just posting what I was told FWIW.

One thing I do know is that vynil seems to be a pain on my SGT.

Also FWIW I have a Shovel that I painted Krylon Flat Black many years ago I wash it then rub in WD-40 onto paint. No issues whatsoever in any place on bike. Looks great, would not do that on a SS, but if you are looking for cheap and easy on a HD it works great. And does not rust...LOL

• 4 months later...

Yeah just what an owner with one told me, I ride Shovelheads and a DRZ so its not on my personal radar. I agree though if its flat its flat. I think there are some great custom flat automotive paints now correct? Taking aim at the rat rod crowd?

Just posting what I was told FWIW.

One thing I do know is that vynil seems to be a pain on my SGT.

There's a whole line of flat paints now called "hotrod flats" aimed at the hotrod and rat rod crowd. Like any flat paint if you rub on it it will polish up, that's what happened to HD and they just put a spin on it to claim it was fine.

An easy solution to this problem is have the stripes painted and then the painter can mix a flat clear coat. That will not polish up like the flat paints.

• 1 month later...

Quality control as to the paint and the "wrenches" skiving off the decals needs help. A nick found near the antenna after it was reinstalled at Tasca and deep scratches from the OEM "Shelby" emblem being removed. The attention to detail inside the shop(Tasca) needs to improve as well...an overspray was all over the car from paints inside the shop. I waxed before sending it out...to no avail, a wasted effort. I had to use Claybar to return to the original "baby smooth" finish. A plastic cover is usually used inside shops to protect from airborne contaminants sticking to the exterior. I knew it was bad when I found polishing compund in the jams...gimme a break, the quality in the paint shop needs some serious attention. A baby sitter in the shop might be able to alleviate the lack of detail...these are showcars at a minimum and should be handled as such.

The mechanical side of the Mod shop is spot on...can't say the same for the paint and "inspection" process. I hope the inspection is done under fluorescent lighting and not the sun...that would explain a lot!

Ed

CSM 08SS0350

Archived