TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Driving the Shelby at Sebring (share your on track experience)

gth0007

Just completed two great days at Sebring Int'l Raceway. As a novice, I ran the Shelby GT instead of the FR500S. NASA (National Auto Sport Association) Florida Region runs a super HPDE (High Performance Driving Experience). After two days and 180 miles of track time, you learn real quick that driving and turning fast is an involved endeavor. My SGT is an automatic adding to the difficulty. By the end of the second day everyone is going faster and once you understand the 17 turns at Sebring, it really gets fun. One session was done in the rain adding to the "but pucker". Everyone at the NASA event is friendly and helpful, even when you mess up, which you will. Several of the Mustang drivers shared notes, and from that you will learn a lot of respect for the Mazda Miata as a race car. Our powerful Mustangs and Shelbys give up a ton of time on the turns, as we have to brake, the little 50/50 balance Miata is on it all the time and are hard to shake sometimes. Anyway a lot of fun. Please share your ON TRACK experiences, this is where a Shelby belongs. regards, Larry

You must be going to the Homestead NASA event. If this is your first time you'll find it an interesting experience. My instructor was "Alex" who did a great job and showed patience getting me to drift the car and rely heavily on the brakes holding up. About the only prep I did was to install a high carbon content front rotors and good Hawk pads all around. Homestead is a nice smooth track compared to Sebring so you should really be able to enjoy the event. Good luck and I may see your there. regards, Larry

Drove at Sebring last year at the "Track Guys" HPDE.

There's a link to my GoPro Video found here under "SGT at Sebring" http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/72323-get-your-driving-on-track-2012-track-guys-event-schedule/

The 95-degree heat was awful, but the driving was a blast!

Definitely need good brakes/pads! I was running Hawk HPS, and they began to fade after one hot lap - next time, track pads!

Sam

Just completed two great days at Sebring Int'l Raceway. As a novice, I ran the Shelby GT instead of the FR500S. NASA (National Auto Sport Association) Florida Region runs a super HPDE (High Performance Driving Experience). After two days and 180 miles of track time, you learn real quick that driving and turning fast is an involved endeavor. My SGT is an automatic adding to the difficulty. By the end of the second day everyone is going faster and once you understand the 17 turns at Sebring, it really gets fun. One session was done in the rain adding to the "but pucker". Everyone at the NASA event is friendly and helpful, even when you mess up, which you will. Several of the Mustang drivers shared notes, and from that you will learn a lot of respect for the Mazda Miata as a race car. Our powerful Mustangs and Shelbys give up a ton of time on the turns, as we have to brake, the little 50/50 balance Miata is on it all the time and are hard to shake sometimes. Anyway a lot of fun. Please share your ON TRACK experiences, this is where a Shelby belongs. regards, Larry

Is your Shelby GT stock? How did the car hold up. Did you worry that it was too hard on the car. What about the stock brakes. I am considering going to the road coarse track near by with my 2008 SGT automatic also.

Does anyone know if the Shelby GT's that where winning the F production class of SCCA where stock, or is there modification that are allowed in that class.

This past weekend was my first full track exposure to HPDE in the NASA program. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but quickly realized that HPDE, even at the 1 and 2 level is serious stuff. The only modifications to my car was a new set of front Power Slot high carbon steel rotors, and Hawk HP Plus front pads, and a ceramic set of rear Ford pads. The car performed much better than I did and yes it is a little hard on the car. I used stock tires/wheels and my car being an automatic limited my speed in the turns, as even a little throttle in the curves caused the transmission to kick down into second, which on one occasion created a "butt puckering" drift. Turns 1, 7, 16, and 17 at Sebring was particularly challenging with the automatic. I can say that the two day, eight sessions with NASA HPDE was very very rewarding and by the end of the second day I was getting my confidence up a bit and the car didn't miss a beat, getting a whopping 8 mpg each day. Not to ramble, but the HPDE 1 & 2 doesn't mean all drivers are amatuers, they're not. Many are just moving up the ladder in HPDE or into the TT, or wheel to wheel classes. Cars in the HPDE 1 & 2 included Zo6 Corvettes, BMWs, all wheel drive rice burners, full race cars (Mazdas, VWs, Hondas etc), Porsches of all stripes, a few Mustang GTs and GT-500s, and ONE (thank God) rental Kia Sephia. When the traffic is backed up (thanks to the Kia) it got a little hairy with all the more powerful cars and better drivers pushing hard to pass making it a little tough for us novice drivers. You just have to suck up your ego and learn to drive YOUR car, a super weekend, Larry

Archived