TEAM SHELBY FORUM

3M clear bra

The dealer made me an offer for the product but I declined I dont think it looks right they showed me a car in the show room with the product and I didnt like the way it looked.

I put it on my car this winter. And will tell you if done correctly the benefits far out way the looks. It is bearly noticible.

Especially if you use your car. I'll post pics if you like.

I just did a cross country trip in my car. And honestly the bra saved my car. It's a complete frontal bra. Entire bumper and 18inches up the hood and fenders. Here's the vid. Go to 2:29 through 2:50 to see the hood. And pause it at 5:09 to see the line. It is much more visible when car is dirty than when clean.

We live out amongst the farmers, and they drive the tractors on the roads with all of the field dirt. So driving where I live is like driving in a sandblaster...Wife had on her silver Range Rover, I had on my black 500, and also now on my silver KR...they only way to go, especially if you live in a areas where the roads may not be the best.

This is a must do imo

I have it on my white sgt and my 06 lime GT. I have it on the entire front bumper, 18 inches up the hood, door sills and edges and lower quarter behind the rear wheels. It's been on my white Shelby for 4 years. I did have a little yellowing on the door sills and behind the wheels and I plan to have those two places redone next month. The front bumper and hood are fine. The life of the clear bra is 5-7 years, so I'm satisfied. I would recommend it and has done a good job of protecting my SGT from rock chips and monster Iowa bugs.

Dave

As far as I know, 3M is the only brand or at least the most recommended. Is this correct?

VentureShield makes an excellent product as well.

Had that on my black 08, wifes ride and my KR both have 3M

We live out amongst the farmers, and they drive the tractors on the roads with all of the field dirt. So driving where I live is like driving in a sandblaster...Wife had on her silver Range Rover, I had on my black 500, and also now on my silver KR...they only way to go, especially if you live in a areas where the roads may not be the best.

This is a must do imo

While following Tom home from the Bash he passed over a roofing tile that, now airborn, smacked into the front of my car. If not for the Ventureshield covering my splitter and front I would have had some major chips if not a broken splitter. Kevin also exploded a tumble weed on the front of his car which was awesome to watch. :lol: I installed mine for the same reason as Tom above. I had VentureShield (now owed by 3M) custom installed with the edges wrapped over on the hood and fenders. This eliminates as many lines as possible. In order to eliminate the line across the hood which can be a little more visible on a black car, I had the whole hood covered along with the front. The key is a good installer. Check the installers work before they touch your car. If its done properly there should be no cutting on the car. The key to preventing any yellowing or dulling is how you maintain the PPF (paint protection film). There are specific PPF products available to clean and seal the film. I just ordered these Xpel products to try. Here is a great source of info about PPFs and how to maintain the polyurethane films currently available. Paint Protection Film 101. I do use carnuba wax on mine for bugs mostly but make sure it's not heavy on petroleum distillates and no dyes. Also never use IPA (isopropyl alcohol) on VentureShield as it will dull it.

3M's Clearbra product is now called Scotchgard PPF and they now own and make the VentureShield PPF. The hot new PPF is a self healing product from Xpel. I don't know much about it but here are there offerings. Xpel. I am fairly sure my installer has switched over this this product.

With all that said it really is easy to maintain. You can even lightly polish it to remove fine scratches. Good luck with your decision.

• 1 month later...

While following Tom home from the Bash he passed over a roofing tile that, now airborn, smacked into the front of my car. If not for the Ventureshield covering my splitter and front I would have had some major chips if not a broken splitter. Kevin also exploded a tumble weed on the front of his car which was awesome to watch. :lol: I installed mine for the same reason as Tom above. I had VentureShield (now owed by 3M) custom installed with the edges wrapped over on the hood and fenders. This eliminates as many lines as possible. In order to eliminate the line across the hood which can be a little more visible on a black car, I had the whole hood covered along with the front. The key is a good installer. Check the installers work before they touch your car. If its done properly there should be no cutting on the car. The key to preventing any yellowing or dulling is how you maintain the PPF (paint protection film). There are specific PPF products available to clean and seal the film. I just ordered these Xpel products to try. Here is a great source of info about PPFs and how to maintain the polyurethane films currently available. Paint Protection Film 101. I do use carnuba wax on mine for bugs mostly but make sure it's not heavy on petroleum distillates and no dyes. Also never use IPA (isopropyl alcohol) on VentureShield as it will dull it.

3M's Clearbra product is now called Scotchgard PPF and they now own and make the VentureShield PPF. The hot new PPF is a self healing product from Xpel. I don't know much about it but here are there offerings. Xpel. I am fairly sure my installer has switched over this this product.

With all that said it really is easy to maintain. You can even lightly polish it to remove fine scratches. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for the link to the cleaner and sealer. I just ordered some.

Thanks for the link to the cleaner and sealer. I just ordered some.

I just used them during my cleanup from the Bash and I have no problem recommending them. The cleaner really worked and seamed to find dirt I didn't realize was on the ppf. The sealer was easy to apply and remove. I don't think you need two coats but I did anyway just to make sure I didn't miss anything. The sealer is supposed to harden slightly in the sun (UV) like the stuff they use for winshield repairs.

Tana has a new a new 3M Clear Bra on her GT500. The installer is in Vancouver WA and I would recommend him. He did a great job. Did the front bumper, all the lights, fender fronts, door cups and door edges, pillars next to windshield and the bottom door entry sill area.

001-4.jpg

003-6.jpg

004-13.jpg

005-3.jpg

006-11.jpg

007-4.jpg

008-9.jpg

009-6.jpg

010-12.jpg

011-4.jpg

012-10.jpg

013-5.jpg

• 11 months later...

Anybody going to do this? It sounds appealing, but I wonder how it would do on white paint with yellowing etc. Please discuss.

I was gonna send you pics, but your in-box is full....empty that stuff out! lol

and they hold up well, but I wouldn't leave it on a car for 5+yrs, especially one that sits outside in the heat a lot...I learned that the hard way.