TEAM SHELBY FORUM

aluminum screws for hood scoop

The First and second generation scoops used faux screws all the way around except the front two and rear center screws...which I don't believe were aluminum as they shined like stainless. But I might be wrong. Those scoops where actually held in place using four larger bolts hidden under the hood blanket on the underside of the scoop.

The third and final forth generation improved scoops stopped using the larger bolts and in place uses actual aluminum rivets all the way around to hold the scoop on.

So do you mean the three screws on the old scoop?

If you contact Ford racing and tell them that you need Aluminum screws for the hood pin plates they will send them to you free of charge.

There number is 1-800-367-3788

They will need your Vin to verify that you indeed own a SGT.

If you contact Ford racing and tell them that you need Aluminum screws for the hood pin plates they will send them to you free of charge.

There number is 1-800-367-3788

They will need your Vin to verify that you indeed own a SGT.

Opps I see you needed aluminum screws for the hood scoop not the hood pin plates. We used aluminum rivets

Mea Culpa. I meant the aluminum screws for the hood pin plates so as to stop the potential rusting of the hood due to the stainless steel screws incompatability with the aluminum hood. My apologies. So, does anyone have the contact information and the part #, etc, for the aluminum screws and is that what is recommended now?

Mea Culpa. I meant the aluminum screws for the hood pin plates so as to stop the potential rusting of the hood due to the stainless steel screws incompatability with the aluminum hood. My apologies. So, does anyone have the contact information and the part #, etc, for the aluminum screws and is that what is recommended now?

See Nordic's post above (#3)... They will even send you a couple of extras in the package... Also, you can lightly polish the top of the screws before you install them to give them a shiny new finish to match the chrome plates... Just make sure you don't over tighten them as there isn't much room for error... Good Luck!

Thank you for the information. Called today and they stated they will put them in the mail. Any other suggestions beside not over-tightening? Any possible grease on the threads to prevent any other forms of corrosion, etc?

Thank you

Any suggestions if the threads should be coated with grease or a light lubricant (WD-40, oil, etc) to try and prevent rust? Was the hood rusting under the plates or at the threads where the screws made contact?

tOK, but the primary issue was apparently to replace the screws because they contributed to rust. So, again, did anyone take any special steps with the new aluminum screws to prevent rust? oil, grease, anti-oxidant?

tOK, but the primary issue was apparently to replace the screws because they contributed to rust. So, again, did anyone take any special steps with the new aluminum screws to prevent rust? oil, grease, anti-oxidant?

It is called galvanic corrosion which is caused by moisture reacting to dissimiliar metals that are in contact with each other. You shouldn't have a problem with aluminum screwed into aluminum. If it makes you feel better, wax or grease the screws down before you install them. I coated mine with a good paste wax.

Any suggestions if the threads should be coated with grease or a light lubricant (WD-40, oil, etc) to try and prevent rust? Was the hood rusting under the plates or at the threads where the screws made contact?

The whole area under the hood pin kit corroded on my car and it moved out from the pin base to where it was causing my paint to bubble around the hood pin base. It became very visible in one years time.

Thank you for the advice. My car is a 07 and I have not seen any rusting around the hood pin base to date. Do you think the steel plates being in contact with the aluminum hood contribute to the rusting? My car is a garage queen with only 7,3+K miles and I must assume I have been very lucky so far. How prevalent is this rusting problem with the hood pins and the hood. Obviously enough if Ford is sending out replacement screws free.

Thank you for the advice. My car is a 07 and I have not seen any rusting around the hood pin base to date. Do you think the steel plates being in contact with the aluminum hood contribute to the rusting? My car is a garage queen with only 7,3+K miles and I must assume I have been very lucky so far. How prevalent is this rusting problem with the hood pins and the hood. Obviously enough if Ford is sending out replacement screws free.

It's not "rusting" it's corrosion and it's a ticking time bomb. It's not the plates but the screws that make contact with the bare aluminum. It's not the miles you drive but more the amount of water car wash, rain, etc., that acts as a catalyst between the two. The corrosion is usually not seen outside the plate area until it's REALLY bad and typically is found when you remove the plates and look around the edges of the drilled holes. I would remove and inspect to make sure there is nothing there, repair as needed, then switch to the aluminum screws.

It definitely was a problem as many have been repaired under warranty. I thought the base on the 07's were pop riveted.

No. Some cars I remember did, I keep thinking GO cars, but I don't remember now it's been awhile. However most, if not all, 07's were delivered with stainless screws.

+1 for great customer service from Ford. I called the number earlier in the thread about the pin plate screws and it was handled promptly. The customer service rep was friendly and the screws ahould be here end of the week.

+1 for great customer service from Ford. I called the number earlier in the thread about the pin plate screws and it was handled promptly. The customer service rep was friendly and the screws ahould be here end of the week.

Great! A pound of prevention and all that...

• 2 weeks later...

my 07 had stainless screws, but i replaced the cheap thin plates with the shelby billet aluminum ones. i think they came with stainless screws also. i just pulled them off to check under them and it wasnt that bad. a little bit of bubbling around a couple of screw holes. and i havent checked them in 4 years and the car sits outside all the time. the rubber gaskets were on there pretty good and i just replaced one that had a tear in it. i just happened to have a spare one.

btw, my stripes are really lookin BAAAAAD. they look like dry cracked dirt in one of those dry desert lake beds. i'm gonna have them removed and painted on sometime this summer. just saving up a lil money before i do it. i may get a new scoop because i still have the very original cartoon one that came with the car. lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Great fix, guys. I called, and the guy that answered needed no explanation. He knew just what I was talking about. Just needed last 6 of my VIN. Sent me 10 screws in just a few days. New ones were a bit longer than the originals, but worked just fine. They were very dull looking, but a few seconds with a buffing wheel and my dremel, and they took on a very nice brushed look, which even looked better than the SS originals. Worked just fine with the 08 billet plates. I haven't had any corrosion issues, but for something this easy, and cheap, it's a no-brainer.

Tried to install mine only to find the previous screw hole was slightly larger than the new screws. No bite. Suggestions?

I had that same problem with one of mine and didn't bother to do anything but slide it in and it stayed. If all your holes are too big THAT is an issue and the more you take out and remove the existing ones the more you risk opening them up further. I would maybe go to Home Depot and pick up a few different sizes (any metal) and see if you can find a size that fits snug. Then search the web for that size in an aluminum version.

Does anyone have the specifics on the size, type, brand of replacement screws for the hood scoop. Do you have a contact or web site?

Thank you

Do you have a Lowe's Home Improvement store nearby?

I have found that Lowe's has a niche fastener department and they stock just about every kind of fastner you can think of, including plastic push-pins.

I also have a GREAT ACE Hardware store in my city that has a niche fastener area. Nylon, plastic, stainless steel, aluminum, etc. etc. etc

Actually, I have two ACE Hardware stores in my area that carry them.

Try both of those vendors and you MIGHT find what you need, or something close enough to it that no one will know the diff.

Phill

You won't find aluminum phillips head screws at Lowe's, Home Depot or Ace to work with the hood pin kit. Stainless yes, but not aluminum.

If the hole is a little large for your new aluminum screws from Ford Racing, use a trick that I have been using for years. Roll-up a small wad of aluminum foil so it looks like a shortened toothpick and bend it in an "L" shape. Slip it in the hole, the 'L" shape will keep the wad from falling thru the hole and it should take up the slack in the hole and allow the screw to tighten. If it doesn't tighten, you need to make your wad of foil larger, or add another wad of foil to the hole. I've used this trick for many years when restoring the older Mustangs, especially with interior pieces where the hole enlarges over time and the screw becomes too loose. Normally, I just cut a wire, bend it in an "L" shape to keep it from falling thru the hole and thread in the screw. It has never failed me yet. By yhe way, do not use metal wire instead of aluminum foil to fill in the holes for the hood pin screws as it is not aluminum, and your hole could corrode.

Good luck - I had to do this same procedure for my new aluminum screws which were loose also.

Archived