TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1989 Shelby CSX on Ebay

Larry T

Just an FYI, this car has had front end damage on two occasions that I'm aware of even though ebays history report is clean. The front air dam is an aftermarket part that resembles the factory piece but is no way the correct piece even though the seller states "This car still boasts all its original parts". Same for stereo, antenna, tires and at least a dozen items under the hood. The seller also claims "this is one of the few with Recaro seats." Interesting statement since this CSX is NOT a Recaro car.

The previous owner was a controversial figure in the Shelby Dodge community and I guess we are fortunate some of his "stories" never made it into this auction description.

And finally what the previous owner did to Carroll's autograph on the dash......... tracing over Carroll's signature should never be an option.

Steve

• 8 months later...

Arrggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

After MONTHS of being advertised on ebay, with no sale, guess what is now listed at the 2013 Scottsdale B-J auction?

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=333&aid=466

From the B-J auction description:

Number 62 of 500 Shelby Dodge CSX-VNT produced in 1989 and one of only 15 optioned with 225 tires and Recaro Shelby bucket seats. (1) 62,525 original miles. Close to showroom new restored, in the only 1989 CSX-VNT color offered, Exotic Red with gold accents. Equipeed with the original Shelby-designed gold "Fiberride" compressed fiberglass composite wheels and new Goodrich 225/50 R15 tires. Shelby leather steering wheel, all Shelby VIN plates and badging, original paint (2), original carpet and Shelby seat coverings in stunning condition. Car and Driver called the CSX-VNT "a high tech Hot Rod" and "a technological showcase" and tested the car up to 156mph. Shelby engine is an intercooled Turbo IV equipped with a 5-speed transmission, power steering and power Daytona Shelby Z disc brakes. Present are the ground effects package and rear air dam produced by Kaminari Aerodynamics, (3) giving a ground hugging appearance. The Shelby suspension was modified for 1989 with improved alignment specs that were radically new. Numbers matching and meticulously maintained (4), all fluids are correct with synthetic oils, as recommended by Shelby, all gauges and air conditioning are in excellent working order and includes the original AM/FM cassette player. (5)On the driver's side hood is the 281 Motorsports Team Shelby Members Weekend '09 graphic flag. Carroll Shelby signed the dashboard at the June 21st, 2009 Rodeo Drive Concours D'Elegance in Beverly Hills, CA. (6) Documentation includes Certificate of Appreciation, original Dodge and Shelby modified owner's manuals.

(1) Absolutely false. This CSX was equipped with the standard seats and standard tires.

(2) Absolutely false. This CSX was involved in at least two accidents that I'm aware of.

(3) Absolutely false. The front air dam is an aftermarket piece because the previous owner destroyed the Kaminari piece in an accident.

(4) Absolutely false. Anyone who knew the previous owner & watched the eBay auction video knows this car has issues.

(5) Absolutely false. The stereo is not original to the car.

(6) Absolutely false. Although the dash was autographed by Shelby, I know exactly where & when the car was autographed because Carroll was not happy on being ambushed by the previous owner. Carroll's autograph has also been obliterated by the previous owner, who for some reason thougt that tracing over Shelby's autograph was a good idea.

For those that are not familiar with this particular CSX and its previous owner let me just say the previous owner and his over the top "claims" these past five years have been nothing but a huge pain in the Shelby Dodge community.

And anyone that thinks this car is even close to "showroom new restored" needs to rethink their credentials.

• 2 months later...

I don't know what it is with Barrett-Jackson and 1989 CSX cars but once again something just doesn't look right.

Supposedly this CSX was sold at B-J last month for just over $6k but its now back on ebay, from the same seller.

Amazing how many cars are "sold" at B-J but somehow continue to be for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Other-CSX-VNT-1989-DODGE-SHELBY-CSX-VNT-1-OF-15-WITH-225-TIRES-AND-RECARO-SEATS-62K-MILES-/321069337141?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4ac1394a35

And of course the seller continues with all the falsehoods of this particular car. See post #5 above.

Steve

Interesting. I did ask the seller how they are selling it again if it was sold at BJ. They responded that the car was sold at BJ. They have no idea how the posting got put up on Ebay again. We'll see if the posting disappears from E-bay here soon.

I don't know what it is with Barrett-Jackson and 1989 CSX cars but once again something just doesn't look right.

Supposedly this CSX was sold at B-J last month for just over $6k but its now back on ebay, from the same seller.

Amazing how many cars are "sold" at B-J but somehow continue to be for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item4ac1394a35

And of course the seller continues with all the falsehoods of this particular car. See post #5 above.

Steve

We purchased this car at Barrett Jackson. We purchaed it as 1 of the 15 and being a nearly perfect car with no stories (as the owner stated). We tried to do our research before we put it on Ebay but the car was not listed in the registry and obviously we didn't dig deep enough on the history.

We are NOT the one's who listed this car months ago though like the post above says. We purchased it in January and have never owned or represented the car before, much less listing it on Ebay. We'll be fixing the listing on Ebay (which we just took down) if it ever does go back up. This might of been the first and only time we put the car up for sale. If we do try to sell the car again, it won't be listed as 1 of the 15 with Recaro's and 225 tires. The car does have 225's on it now, is there a way to find out if the car originally came with the wider tires?

. The car does have 225's on it now, is there a way to find out if the car originally came with the wider tires?

When new this CSX was equipped with 195/60/VR15 Goodyear Eagle GT+4 tires.

. We purchased this car at Barrett Jackson.

Well your ebay ad says different. A direct quote from your ebay description: This particular CSX is a two owner car that we just purchased out of Santa Monica California.

So which is it. Did you purcahse the car last year from Santa Monica or did you purchase it last month in Scottsdale?

Steve

When new this CSX was equipped with 195/60/VR15 Goodyear Eagle GT+4 tires.

Well your ebay ad says different. A direct quote from your ebay description: This particular CSX is a two owner car that we just purchased out of Santa Monica California.

So which is it. Did you purcahse the car last year from Santa Monica or did you purchase it last month in Scottsdale?

Steve

We purchased it from Barrett. The car is out of Santa Monica which is what is on the title. That's where the previous owner had the car.

We purchased it from Barrett. The car is out of Santa Monica which is what is on the title. That's where the previous owner had the car.

Well yes & no. The Santa Monica owner is what, two owners before you? Just because a "flipper" didn't title the car in their name doesn't mean it hasn't gone thru other owners. And what about that this CSX spent over 15 years on the east coast? As a buyer I would prefer to know that a car spent over 15 years on the east coast rather than how it spent a few years in Santa Monica after being on the east coast for most of its life..

The cars history is the cars history. Lots of people consider omitting parts of a cars known history........... well I'll leave it at just that. If you're here to learn more about Shelby Dodge's and in particular this CSX, we're here to help you. If you're here to continue, what appears to be, misrepresentation of the cars history then I'm not so sure how we can assist. The Shelby Dodge community is quite small in size and the odds are your potential buyer will be part of this small community.

Steve

Interesting, from a B-J purchase price of around $6k three weeks ago to an almost $20k asking price today.

Steve

FOR SALE: 1989 Dodge Shelby CSX $19,500

The Shelby CSX, also known as the Carroll Shelby Experimental, was a limited-production high performance automobile based on the turbocharged intercooled Dodge Shadow and Plymouth Sundance. These cars were offered by Shelby Automobiles Inc. from 1987 through 1989. The car you see here is a 1989 Dodge Shelby CSX-VNT. This is a very special and extremely rare car as it is #62 of 500 Shelby CSX-VNTs produced in 1989 and one of only 15 optioned with 225 tires and Recaro Shelby bucket seats. Carroll Shelby actually signed the dashboard in this car on June 21st, 2009 at the Rodeo Drive Concours D\'Elegance in Beverly Hills, California. This particular CSX is a two owner car that we just purchased out of Santa Monica California. In the only 1989 CSX-VNT color offered, Exotic Red, this car looks great. The body is very solid and no notable imperfections to speak of. The paint is also in great condition, with only minor rock chips. The red paint has a beautiful luster to it and looks great with the gold accents, again, only offered in 1989. This particular CSX still has all of its Shelby badges intact, including on the driver\'s side of the hood, where you will find a 281 Motorsports Team Shelby Members Weekend \'09 Graphic decal which can be removed if you wish. This Shelby has a ground effects package and rear air dam made by Kaminari Aerodynamics, giving the car a ground hugging appearance. This is just a great looking car! Inside, you\'ll see that the interior is absolutely pristine. Finished in gray, the extremely rare Recaro Shelby seats are in excellent condition with no notable wear of any kind. Everything from the headliner to the carpet, the seats to the dash look fantastic. As mentioned before, Carroll Shelby did sign the dashboard in 2009 at the Rodeo Drive Concours D\'Elegance in Beverly Hills, CA, which really puts the cherry on top for this CSX. Under the hood, you\'ll find the intercooled Turbo IV engine. Car and Driver magazine called the CSX-VNT a \"High Tech Hot Rod\" and a \"Technological Showcase\" after they were impressed with the engine\'s flexibility and top gear acceleration when car was tested up to 156mph. Attached to the engine is the Getrag A555 5-speed transmission. The Shelby suspension was modified for \'89 with improved alignment specifications that were radically new and different from previous Dodge Shelby\'s. This car does have four wheel disc brakes. As mentioned earlier, this car is one of 15 ever made that came equipped from the factory with 225/50R15 tires wrapped around the original Shelby-designed gold \"Fiberride\" compressed fiberglass wheels. Numbers matching and meticulously maintained, all fluids in this CSX are correct with synthetic oils, as recommended by Shelby. The 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT proved to be a true domestic exotic, showcasing technologies not seen until 2006 when Porsche utilized a similar turbo for their new 997. This car is truly a very rare and special car, especially as it is a true \"Carroll Shelby Experimental\" Shelby and has been signed by a legendary automotive hero and recently deceased Mr. Shelby himself. The current mileage shows 62,551 and the VIN is 1B3BP94A6KN644735. This car is being sold on a clean title.

Well yes & no. The Santa Monica owner is what, two owners before you? Just because a "flipper" didn't title the car in their name doesn't mean it hasn't gone thru other owners. And what about that this CSX spent over 15 years on the east coast? As a buyer I would prefer to know that a car spent over 15 years on the east coast rather than how it spent a few years in Santa Monica after being on the east coast for most of its life..

The cars history is the cars history. Lots of people consider omitting parts of a cars known history........... well I'll leave it at just that. If you're here to learn more about Shelby Dodge's and in particular this CSX, we're here to help you. If you're here to continue, what appears to be, misrepresentation of the cars history then I'm not so sure how we can assist. The Shelby Dodge community is quite small in size and the odds are your potential buyer will be part of this small community.

Steve

I'm not trying to misrepresent the car's history. You can't be mad at us for representing the car as we purchased it. We thought it was one of the 15. It's obviously not so that's why we took the listing down off of Ebay. The Carfax shows this to be a 2 owner car. That's how we're going to represent it. Nobody counts a dealer as being an owner. Since the car came out of Santa Monica, I know many dealers would call this car a "California Car". We are not. All we say is that we purchased the car out of Santa Monica, which is where it's titled and where it came from.

http://www.oldcaronl... old car online

Still listed as a wide tire/recaro car. Still promoting Carroll's signature on the dash.

That website pull's information straight from our website via a XML feed. It pulls info every few days. It obviously hasn't refreshed it's data since I changed the listing on our website and took out the 1 of 15 information. We also adjusted the price. We are still going to promote Carroll's signature on the dash because he did sign it. It might not be the nicest signature, but he did sign it and we have a photo of it. We clearly show the signature, not trying to hide anything.

You can see the car on our website here... http://www.motoexotica.com/inventory/5248/1989_Dodge_Shelby_CSX.htm

Interesting, from a B-J purchase price of around $6k three weeks ago to an almost $20k asking price today.

Steve

Correct, we purchased the car for around $6k at Barrett... plus 10% buyers commission.. plus shipping the car to St. Louis enclosed... plus detailing the car. Obviously we have more then $6k in the car now. I also lowered the price on the car considerably knowing the car isn't what we purchased it at. We currently have it priced at $10,500.

Many dealers wouldn't come on here and try to get the real story or do enough homework to even find this site. We've been in buisness too long to misrepresent cars and be a "flipper" as you say. We have 140 cars in inventory currently and try to do our best at describing each one to the best of our knowledge. Are we an expert on everything we sell? No. Don't claim to be either. When you offer such a wide variety of cars as we do, it's impossible to be an expert. But what we will do is when we find out something isn't correct, we'll pull down the listing and correct our mistakes. We'll also own up to our mistakes.

Steve, you can try to bash us all you want, I'm not here to fight with you. Just defend our name and come clean with what we know and don't know. You're appear to be one of those people that have it set in their mind's that all car dealers are crooks. Think what you want. I'm trying to be clear with the information we have. I have nothing to hide.

Dan

You call it bashing, I and others call it setting the facts straight. Again the Shelby Dodge community is a very small community so we can't help but notice when a known car is misrepresented.

We also have trouble with conflciting seller statements. You tell one person that you have no idea how this car got listed on ebay and now this morning you post "so that's why we took the listing down off of Ebay".

As much as you would like to shoot the messenger, the cars history is the cars history. Omitting details does not change the cars history.

At this point its probably best to just wish you good luck with the sale.

Steve

I'm not trying to misrepresent the car's history. You can't be mad at us for representing the car as we purchased it. We thought it was one of the 15. It's obviously not so that's why we took the listing down off of Ebay. The Carfax shows this to be a 2 owner car. That's how we're going to represent it. Nobody counts a dealer as being an owner. Since the car came out of Santa Monica, I know many dealers would call this car a "California Car". We are not. All we say is that we purchased the car out of Santa Monica, which is where it's titled and where it came from.

Good luck with the sale. It looks like you guys have some very nice cars at your place. However this one, it looks like you guys got "took" on somewhat. The car is what it is, but certainly has a pretty sketchy history with a previous owner who has certainly tarnished that history and told many fibs about it.

Just goes to show you that even at BJ, it is a "buyer beware" market and that research of the cars should be done. Heck I know personally of a pretty significant Mustang (non Shelby) that was sold there this year which was terribly misrepresented. This car sold for over $80K. The seller represented as original with original miles and had a signed affidavit to that. I personally saw this car when it was brought to the restoration shop where it was done. It came in with no dash and a completely rusted undercarriage. The restoration was certainly second to none and very nice, using a completely different car for the undercarriage, but the car was far from being as original and no possible way to know the correct miles since there was no history of that or even having the original gauges. I don't think there was an original body panel on that car. It wasn't the restoration shops fault the car was sold as it was, but the current owner who misrepresented it.

You call it bashing, I and others call it setting the facts straight. Again the Shelby Dodge community is a very small community so we can't help but notice when a known car is misrepresented.

We also have trouble with conflciting seller statements. You tell one person that you have no idea how this car got listed on ebay and now this morning you post "so that's why we took the listing down off of Ebay".

As much as you would like to shoot the messenger, the cars history is the cars history. Omitting details does not change the cars history.

At this point its probably best to just wish you good luck with the sale.

Steve

That wasn't me that told whoever it was that they don't know how it got back on Ebay. I actually told him he shouldn't of said that when he told me what he said.

• 2 months later...

Speaking candidly from an autobroker's POV, a dealer might not always have the ability know everything, but ignorance is still not an excuse in the eyes of the buying public. If it were me, I would sell this car for the $6X00 it was purchased for, cut my losses, chalk this up as a cost of doing business, and go forward wiser for it. Regardless of intentions, good or otherwise, this car now has a great deal of stale negative energy around it. Much of the potential buying community is aware of it, other Shelby Dodge enthusiasts are as well.

Having a reputation and your intentions largely questioned, all for the sake of a few grand in profit, is simply a poor business move. While still a nice little car in its own right, it has clearly (and understandably) been painted with a negative brush, and the longer you hold onto it, the more of that paint will rub off on you. Just my .2cents

All the best!

• 1 year later...

Well 1989 Shelby CSX #62 showed up again, this time at the 2014 Mecum Auction in Austin Texas. Sold for $5,500 (not sure if that was the gavel price or gavel price PLUS buyers fee).

It appears that someone replaced the gold Fiberide wheels with some aluminum American Racing wheels. Hope the winning bidder realized this change as it will probably cost him at least $2k to put Fiberides back on the car. It also appears that someone tried to clean up the "retraced" Shelby autograph on the dash. Although now extremely faded/washed out, the autograph does look better.

The Mecum description was much more accurate than any other previous description. No mention of Recaro seats or any "all original" statements this time.

The buyer probably overpaid for the car considering that it would need $3k to bring it back close to original. If originality is of no concern to the buyer he still may have overpaid as there are less expensive CSX cars out there.

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/AU1214-205589/0/1989-Dodge-Shelby-Shadow-Sport/5-Speed/

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/magazine/1505-the-2015-mecum-auctions-in-austin/

Until the next auction......................

Steve

Archived