TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Drag Radials .

Golddiger

Once I burn through the factory rear tires, I have to find something for the street that has more bite. These goodyears don't hook up at all. Would be pretty intense to lean into the pedal and actually go forward instead of the sit and spin. :speedie: . How embassing to get spanked by something because you couldn't get grip.

What size tires are you running on the backs ? I'm going to check in to these and see where and how much to buy up here in Northern Ontario !

Rear tires are 315/30 20. Fronts are 285/35 20. I tried them at the drag strip Friday night. Did not hook like my Racemasters. Here's a video of my best pass.

Once I burn through the factory rear tires, I have to find something for the street that has more bite. These goodyears don't hook up at all. Would be pretty intense to lean into the pedal and actually go forward instead of the sit and spin. :speedie: . How embassing to get spanked by something because you couldn't get grip.

Just bought bridgestone re11's 285/35/19 here at Costco for $ 799 cdn.Supposed to be pretty good.Can't install til the weather improves.

Just a little info for some on this thread who may not have a lot of experience with these different builds of tire. I know Lawdude does as he uses both, but just for some additional info for others: Toyo R888's are pretty much built for road racing, not really meant to be driven on the street, but they can be. These are built with very stiff sidewalls and a very soft compound rubber. So longevity of this tire will be not very great. Very quick to wear out on a street type surface. As are most road race tires like the R888 or the BFG G-Force R1's, they were built for corners on a track surface. Not really great for drag racing because of the stiff side walls. These tires were also built to go a couple of laps before they work very well. They need to get hot before they get sticky on the track. I've seen guys take corners on the street because they think they have race tires on, and proceed to crash into curbs or other. These tires are probably worse than some standard street tires when handling on the street. They like heat to work. These may get better traction than a street tire on a drag strip if heated, but probably not much. There is more rubber on the ground and have a softer rubber compound so they can.

Drag radials were built for the strip, normally not very good on the street because they have an extremely flexible sidewall to give better grip under torque. Kind of like the pure drag race tires you see on funny cars and such. Tons of side wall wrinkle and flex, meant to be run at very low air preasure, which adds the much better traction on the launch. More modern drag radials are much better, but the taller profile drag radials are horrible on the street. You would be able to feel the car's rear end move all over the place as the wheels are moving from sided to side in the tires with the soft sidewalls. Pretty much built to just go in a straight line. These two types of tires are built completely differently and have a very specific purpose. Maybe all you guys understand these dynamics of the different tires, but I can see where some of the above conversation may confuse new comers to drag racing or road racing.

Very good point, for myself I want that roll up on a red light and launch.. grip. Not really the time and place for a burnout to get them all sticky. Or if you need to roll heavy into the throttle (to get up to the speed limit) really quick kinda traction!

Just a little info for some on this thread who may not have a lot of experience with these different builds of tire. I know Lawdude does as he uses both, but just for some additional info for others: Toyo R888's are pretty much built for road racing, not really meant to be driven on the street, but they can be. These are built with very stiff sidewalls and a very soft compound rubber. So longevity of this tire will be not very great. Very quick to wear out on a street type surface. As are most road race tires like the R888 or the BFG G-Force R1's, they were built for corners on a track surface. Not really great for drag racing because of the stiff side walls. These tires were also built to go a couple of laps before they work very well. They need to get hot before they get sticky on the track. I've seen guys take corners on the street because they think they have race tires on, and proceed to crash into curbs or other. These tires are probably worse than some standard street tires when handling on the street. They like heat to work. These may get better traction than a street tire on a drag strip if heated, but probably not much. There is more rubber on the ground and have a softer rubber compound so they can.

Drag radials were built for the strip, normally not very good on the street because they have an extremely flexible sidewall to give better grip under torque. Kind of like the pure drag race tires you see on funny cars and such. Tons of side wall wrinkle and flex, meant to be run at very low air preasure, which adds the much better traction on the launch. More modern drag radials are much better, but the taller profile drag radials are horrible on the street. You would be able to feel the car's rear end move all over the place as the wheels are moving from sided to side in the tires with the soft sidewalls. Pretty much built to just go in a straight line. These two types of tires are built completely differently and have a very specific purpose. Maybe all you guys understand these dynamics of the different tires, but I can see where some of the above conversation may confuse new comers to drag racing or road racing.

Is that for the pair ? We have a Costco just ( 3.5 hrs South ) of here

YES THIS WAS THE PAIR ; THEY HAVE A PROMO ON RIGHT NOW@ $ 25 OFF PER TIRE.

Very good point, for myself I want that roll up on a red light and launch.. grip. Not really the time and place for a burnout to get them all sticky. Or if you need to roll heavy into the throttle (to get up to the speed limit) really quick kinda traction!

They grip on the street without a burnout. I used 'em on my 335i and I've been using 'em on my shelby. They are an R compound tire. I agree that if you want to autocross, you want as much heat as possible. The hotter the stickier. However, I have high confidence in them when I'm on the street without doing a burnout. You won't be disappointed - especially compared to what Ford put on there.

They grip on the street without a burnout. I used 'em on my 335i and I've been using 'em on my shelby. They are an R compound tire. I agree that if you want to autocross, you want as much heat as possible. The hotter the stickier. However, I have high confidence in them when I'm on the street without doing a burnout. You won't be disappointed - especially compared to what Ford put on there.

You understand what I'm talking about... Thats what I needed to hear.! Thanks for the reccomendation. Right now if you get that adrenaline rush and get on it to hard, some granny in a buick could roast you in the first 60'. I was shocked how poorly these tires perform in that type of situation.

I see Mickey Thompson with a 305 . Will they fit our rims ?

There are a few guys running them and they "will" technically fit on the 19 x 9.5" rim. But M/T recommends a minimum rim width of 10". So do so at your own risk. I have been contemplating a set myself.

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up with Nitto NT05R's in 18" on early ('08) Shelby wheels. When they hooked up, they induced wheel hop. Too much boost off the line and they still will not hold. It was a VERY hot day on a strip that was marginal. No real world results that I could hang my hat on. My car has the 14" rear brakes added so I had to go to at least an 18" wheel. You lose a lot of options when you go past 15" for drag radials etc. No one that really drag races wants the big inch rims due to rotating mass.

post-28874-0-81545100-1335496431_thumb.jpg

post-28874-0-54627000-1335496456_thumb.jpg

post-28874-0-81545100-1335496431_thumb.jpg

post-28874-0-54627000-1335496456_thumb.jpg

Archived