TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Road Trip Report (Got Her Shoes and Skirt Dirty)!!!

stpracer43

Hey Gang,

Just completed the drive from FL to AZ and thought I'd give a few observations...

First, after taking a couple hundred pics of my car and putting just over 2200 miles on her in the last 12 days, there is only ONE view of any GT500 that really matters... :shift: !!!!P4072696.JPG

By no means is this car a "touring" car (I think we all know that already). The suspension made the ride absolutely fine as long as the road was in good shape. But, if the road was roughed up or had seams in the concrete sections it got pretty bumpy. Hell on a full bladder for sure! Also, if the big rigs had rutted the surface significantly, the car tended to wabble and hunt for a groove alot. Remarkably the tire road noise was pretty quiet on asphalt, but got the typical whine on the concrete. With the Shaker 1000 I could easily block out the road noise and even the exhaust when cruising in 5th/6th gears.

The driver's seat was actually very comfortable and I made good use of the inflatable lumbar support. Having a water bottle or drink cup in the center console cup holder created a few shifting problems early on, but I learned to work around it. The multi-color lighting on the instrument cluster was pretty cool! I settled on the "Red/White/Blue" setting. The Message Center proved quite useful with it's mutliple displays. I used the "Miles to Empty" and "Gallons Used" setting most often and each was very accurate in it's reading.

Gas mileage performance was pretty good overall. Averaged 20+ MPG on most tanks while cruising at 80+ MPH most of the time. Did a few interesting things to avoid the extended time at same RPM (as noted in the manual). Made best use of any opportunity for heavy acceleration (on ramps), moderate acceleration (passing) and then just RPM changes by cruising in 5th gear for awhile. And occasionally when the road was clear of traffic I'd take a run at the high side of 125 MPH.

Encountered heavy rain, sleet, and snow and ice in the Texas hill country (see pics). The front tires DO NOT like any kind of standing water... Almost lost it a couple times due to severe hydroplaning. Thankfully had both hands on the wheel, but going slower was the only real solution. Interesting phenomenon occurred in the very cold, moist night air as well... While stopped for gas I noticed steam coming out of the hood air extractors and from the front grill!!! Quickly checked the engine instruments and popped the hood to have a look, everything was normal and no funny colored liquids were leaking from the car thankfully. Just the combination of warm engine/radiator and cold night air. I missed taking a photo of the effect though...

Naturally, this car gets lots of attention going down the road! I was followed into a gas stop by a Z06 and a Mustang GT - ended up having a 30 minute conversation, got lots of thumbs up from HOG riders and other Mustang/Ford owners. Only saw one other GT500 along the way (Alloy coupe in west Louisiana).

Overall, A great driving experience! And I even managed to avoid getting any speeding tickets. Did catch a rock on the stripe right at front of the hood lip... very tiny, but not bad for 1600 miles. Gives me an excuse for re-striping later on. Had to spend most of today getting her cleaned up again (lots of brake dust on front wheels and good film of road grime on the back bumper). 5 coats of Zaino's before leaving FL made the job a bit easier though. Will drive her here in AZ for next couple of months then into storage for 2 years while overseas to Korea.

There You have it, for what it's worth...

Keith

P4082700.JPG

P4082705.JPG

P4072696.JPG

P4082700.JPG

P4082705.JPG

Congratulations on your car !

Sounds like a great road trip .... what dealership in florida did u get the car from ?

Congratulations on your car !

Sounds like a great road trip .... what dealership in florida did u get the car from ?

Actually ordered the car from Treadwell Ford in Mobile, Alabama. Local dealer in Ft Walton Beach, FL wants $80K for the Red/White coupe (no interior upgrade, Shaker 500) he has in showroom... Guess he'll be keeping it.

Keith

Good job on the trip!! Sounds it went well over all. You mentioned an issue with the front wheels and water. How about the traction in the rear, considering you were driving through on some slick roads?

I have just over 200 miles on my car and found a tiny rock chip on the leading edge of one of my hood stripes as well. I was wondering if a white marker would be good enough to hide it...

Good job on the trip!! Sounds it went well over all. You mentioned an issue with the front wheels and water. How about the traction in the rear, considering you were driving through on some slick roads?

I have just over 200 miles on my car and found a tiny rock chip on the leading edge of one of my hood stripes as well. I was wondering if a white marker would be good enough to hide it...

Never had an issue with rear wheel traction at all. Just the no-kidding, very serious tendency to Hydroplane the front wheels in standing water. All cars will do that of course, but it just caught me a little by surprise.

Not sure about the white marker for stone chip...might give it a try.

Keith

stpracer43,

nice story. thanks for sharing. damn stone chips. i picked one up today on the front driver side of the hood. immediately took it in to the dealer and they were good about touching it up for me and polishing it out. the body shop mgr even told me to come back in a month and they would give it another coat and buff it out more. he charged me nothing and sent me on my way with a barely noticeable blemish.

btw, the steam you mentioned coming from the heat extractors is the normal hissing affect...my baby does the same thing especially when she's pissed off. enjoy your driving days before your 2 year trip and stay safe.

Archived