TEAM SHELBY FORUM

5W-20/5W-30 or both?

Just curious. Many people swear by 5W-20 for the unmodified SGT and probably just as many swear by (or at) the 5W-30. Since the SGT holds 6 quarts I was just wondering what 3 quarts of each would do. It would be 5W-25. Thoughts?

I've been researching for what to use in my '68, and from everything I've read, you want to use the lightest oil you can that still provides normal oil pressure. "Normal" has been defined as 10psi per 1000 rpm's. Not sure if that's a standard for all types of engines or not, but bottom line (to me) is that Ford built the engine for 5w20, so I'm gonna stick with it until I blow it up and have to build the bottom end on it.

Good luck, there are tooooo many opinions on what oil to use on the internet!!!

Well, the purpose of this post was to encourage discussion. And I agree we know there are many diverse opinions on not only the weight of oil but also the brand. I was told Ford has switched from 5W-20 back to 5W-30 on some engines. I have not confirmed this but I was told the eco boost turbo 4 has now gone back to the 5W-30. Obviously Ford switched to 5W-20, at least in part, for EPA mileage. But I think most of us on this site are most concerned with engine longevity. Thoughts?

dont mix oil. its a bad idea. from everything ive read use w20 if your going to beat on it occationaly. if your heavily modified and beat on your car like a red headed step child then w30 isnt a bad idea. local climate plays a role in oil selection as well. cold oil is thick oil.

I would agree you would not want to mix Mobil 1, Redline, Motorcraft Synthetic Blend, Amsoil, Pennzoil, and Quaker State. But I would not see a problem with 3 qts of 5W-20 and 5W-30 Motorcraft Synthetic Blend. It would easily mix. 5W-25?

I run 5W30. That's what my F150 ecoboost takes also, so there is some truth to what you are saying about Ford switching imo. You used to be able to get 5W20 in the 5 gallon jug, but you can't anymore. Wal-Mart, Oreily's, and Autozone all used to carry it in the 5 gallon jug, but not anymore.

OK, re all of the above. But 5W-25? 3 qts each of Motorcraft (or whatever) 5W-20 and 3 qts of 5W-30?

I also doubt it works that way-

If you really need to know post your question here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

----------------

Actually it required little down time, just ongoing thoughtful analysis. It is a compromise. As long as the two oils are the same I assume there should be problem mixing the two, IMO. Most oils, including synthetic blend and full synthetic state they can be mixed with other types of oils.

Archived