TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Windshield

Eric Etkin

Beautiful weekend. Took the brand new 2012 Cobra out for a drive Saturday to do a photo shoot for a local upcoming car show. Had a rock smack me right in the windshield .. Got a nice chunk of broken windshield now. Ugh!

Taking it to be hopefully repaired in the morning. Nix don't want to give up my stock windshield!

Mine got hit by a rock (thrown by another Mustang) on the way home from the purchase. I was so pissed. Repaired by Safe-lite, good as new.

Does the Safe-Lite replacement match the OEM windshield - Mustang and all? Mine's chipped and sandblasted pretty good and I'd like to replace it.

Sam

They just a did a windshield repair, the ding was at the very bottom of the passenger side. If I had to replace the windshield I'd probably go with the Ford unit if I could afford it due after market units not having have the Ford oval logo.

Sorry to hear that it suxs when it happens !! I used them 2x's great service the one time they helped me out with my dads car. Everytime I drove my dads car the fear of damage would make me sweat bullets. When my dad was in Duke university hospital in NC , I made the choice to bring his maxima down. So we can leave it at the hotel and not keep renting cars. My mom and siblings were taking bets if the car gets damaged on the way down. I'm in the car making great time but being on high alert and stay in the right lane. Well out of the corner of my I see this piece of crap car in the passing lane. He's a ahead by a car length and his car back fires and I see a fire and sparks midway under his car. I then see something heading my way so no way of jamming on the brakes but did do a quick slow down. This round disc of steel about 4in wide hits my windshield smack right in the middle of the windshield flat on. It made a perfect circle and pushed the glass in and if I didn't slow down who knows where it would have hit.

When, I showed up at the hotel they looked at it and they said only you !! My dad was in a coma and I still was nervous if he found out. I called safe-lite told them that we needed it fixed as soon as possible. I didn't want us getting stop down there with NY plates everytime we drove the car. Safe-lite was there that afternoon never had a leak problem.

Does the Safe-Lite replacement match the OEM windshield - Mustang and all? Mine's chipped and sandblasted pretty good and I'd like to replace it.

Sam

"NO", the Windshield Companies use a cheaper, thinner Windshield. Use an OEM Windshield.

"NO", the Windshield Companies use a cheaper, thinner Windshield. Use an OEM Windshield.

Safelite is the "Walmart" in the auto glass industry.

Ford does NOT make automotive glass.

The Mustang windshield is manufactured by Carlite.

Most Ford vehicles have Carlite glass.

2005-2012 Mustang have the same windshield part #.

Ford dealers get Carlite glass from the same distributor auto glass companies do.

All Ford dealers sub-contract an auto glass shop to replace windshields on vehicles.

The "PONY" logo windshield is only manufactured by Carlite.

The "NON-Pony" logo windshield is manufactured in China.

I took my car to Safelite this morning. They did a decent repair job. You can see a tiny spec where the rock hit, but nothing much. The little mark is nothing compared to what it was. Also won't spread a crack now.

Mine was also at the very bottom on the passenger side...

So, clarification about a having Ford do a replacement... Will they replace with OEM including Ford/Pony Decal?

According to Safelite's website, they will replace with OEM or OEE (Original Equipment Equivalent), so I guess you have to specify, or else go to Ford dealer or find another installer. In the past, I used Lee + Cates glass, (Northeast Florida, maybe elsewhere), and I remember I had to give detailed instructions on what glass to use or else they would put in the cheapest thing they could find, including used glass!

Sam

BTW, Since we're talking about windshields...

It's a good idea to get a layer of protection added by a good tint shop. It adds one more protection against shattering, and the good stuff blocks 98% of UV and doesn't interfere with electronics (radar detectors, cell phones, GPS, etc...).

I get Llumar Air Blue. Costs about $100 installed, and doesn't change visibility at all. Practically invisible. Helps with glare, too.

http://www.tintplus.com/default.cfm?source=car-window-tinting-air-blue

Jer

BTW, Since we're talking about windshields...

It's a good idea to get a layer of protection added by a good tint shop. It adds one more safeguard against shattering, and the good stuff blocks 98% of UV and doesn't interfere with electronics (radar detectors, cell phones, GPS, etc...).

I get Llumar Air Blue. Costs about $100 installed, and doesn't change visibility at all. Practically invisible. Helps with glare, too.

http://www.tintplus....inting-air-blue

Jer

Ford does NOT make automotive glass.

The Mustang windshield is manufactured by Carlite.

Most Ford vehicles have Carlite glass.

Ya sure about that? My aunt used to work at Libby Owens Ford, aka LOF. They made automotive glass for......yep, you guessed it. Ford.

I haven't looked to see if the LOF logo is on my newer Ford vehicles but I know it used to be on every single one I ever saw. Perhaps LOF went out of business or something but they USED to be the largest mfgr. of automotive glass in the country (if not the world).

Phill

Was disco popular when your aunt worked @ LOF??? LOL

Pilkington aquired "LOF" in 1986.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libbey%E2%80%93Owens%E2%80%93Ford

The "F" in LOF really stood for Funding/Finance.

Pilkington now manufactures one factory OEM windshield for the Ford, Lincoln, Mercury line = Lincoln LS.

http://www.pilkington.com/pilkington-information/about+pilkington/company+history/1950+-+1999.htm

Carlite is the #1 primary glass manufacturer for Ford in North America, however, Carlite does produce automotive glass for other automotive manufacturers.

http://carlite.com

So I repeat, Ford does not manufacturer automotive glass.

Was disco popular when your aunt worked @ LOF??? LOL

She worked for LOF LONNNNNNG before Disco. Hmm, somewhere around 1962-64 if I remember right.

And if the "F" stood for Funding/Finance, the employees never knew about it because she always said she worked for Libby Ownens Ford (NOT, "LOF").

Regardless, I assume LOF is no more?

Phill

She worked for LOF LONNNNNNG before Disco. Hmm, somewhere around 1962-64 if I remember right.

And if the "F" stood for Funding/Finance, the employees never knew about it because she always said she worked for Libby Ownens Ford (NOT, "LOF").

Regardless, I assume LOF is no more?

Phill

Phill,

Stick by your guns! You were correct from the get go... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libbey%E2%80%93Owens%E2%80%93Ford

Libbey–Owens–Ford

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

The Libbey–Owens–Ford Company (LOF) was a producer of flat glass for the automotive and building products industries both for original equipment manufacturers and for replacement use. The company's headquarters and main factories were located in Toledo, Ohio, with large float glass plants in Rossford, Ohio, Laurinburg, North Carolina, Ottawa, Illinois, and Lathrop, California. The company was formed by the merger of Libbey-Owens' flat-glass operation with the Edward Ford Plate Glass Company, both located in Toledo, in 1930.[1]

In the spring of 1916, Michael Owens and Edward Drummond Libbey, both manufacturers of sheet glass, merged their respective companies to form Libbey-Owens. In June 1916, the new Libbey-Owens bought Graham Glass along with the Graham brothers' patents for their glass bottle-making machine, allowing them to diversify into consumer products. In 1928, LOF (then Libbey Owens) was the first company to produce automotive laminated safety glass and won a contract to supply the Ford Motor Company with windshields for the Model A. The success of this relationship was the impetus for a merger that created LOF.[2]

In April 1986, LOF sold its glass business and name to the Pilkington Group, a multinational glass manufacturer headquartered in the United Kingdom. The remaining three business units of the company, Aeroquip, Vickers, and Sterling, were retained and the holding company was renamed TRINOVA Corporation. The Sterling business was later sold and in the late 1990s, the company adopted its two leading business unit names, and continued as Aeroquip-Vickers, Inc., until being absorbed by Eaton Corporation in 1999.

As part of the Pilkington Group, the company retained the LOF name. However, in June 2006, Pilkington was acquired by Nippon Sheet Glass, and the LOF name was abandoned in an effort to rebrand globally under the Pilkington name.

If they can't get you the OEM windshield, try another glass shop. I broke my windshield when the car was a week old. I asked for OEM and they were able to get the Carlite windshield. It was identical with the running horse and all. My car was so new at the time, the factory windshield sealant was still not dry. I was not too happy about having to replace the windshield, but they did a good job and you cannot tell the difference.

Archived