TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Revell 25th scale '08 Super Snake custom build.

NICE job!

I used to build a lot of plastic models when I was a kid and have the talent to make highly detailed models but somewhere along the line I lost the patience!

My step-dad worked for Revell in the early/mid '60's when we lived in Venice CA so I got a LOT of free models and a couple that were proto-types (along with much of my slot-car stuff).

My wife bought me the Revell large scale 2010 GT500 for Christmas and Amazon screwed up and sent two. Actually, the USPS delivered the first one to the wrong address, Amazon over-nighted her a replacement and then the mail carrier dropped the first one my front porch a few days later (I assume the people it got delivered to got it back to him and he realized the mistake). So anyway, I have two but I have yet to even open the box on one of them! I figure I can either keep one boxed up in the original box (for "collector value") and build the other one, or use the second one for extra parts so I can 'modify' them (make a Super Snake hood, etc.).

I just don't have the patience to even START one let alone finish it, which is why I didn't buy one myself when they came out (and told her so!).

That and I'm just too F*ck*ng 'anal'. It has to be PERFECT or I do it over. And I'm a detail freak too. So what would take most people a day, takes me three....

Again, NICE WORK.

Phill

Thanks for the comments Phil. I had stopped building for a few years during college and in my early twenties. Eventually I missed making my own versions of all the Mustangs/Shelby's/Cobra's/etc. Every time I wanted to buy a new 1:1 car, I'd try to build a model of it to squash the thoughts (that didn't really work). Ultimately I'd like to build a car for every year of the Mustang but lately I've been in a Shelby phase. How cool was that to have your stepdad work at Revell! If I had a large supply of kits to build as a kid I may never have left my desk/room. I haven't even considered that large scale GT500. That thing is huge! Besdie I have a hard enough time with 25th scale. I've never had much patience but somehow I have a lot more when I build a kit. Typically there is always something that I don't like with every kit I've built. Once in a blue moon I've got to strip the paint and start over or find a replacement part or two, but for the most part I've got this process down to a science. Now if only I could make my own decals....

You remind me of me......

If you want it done RIGHT, do it yourself 'cause ain't nobody gonna do it as well as YOU (or I) want it done.

Phill

That is so true. Being a perfectionist has it's faults.....

I am impressed that even the bare metal axle tubes look "correct", as found on the 2007-2010 GT500's..............again, Very Cool!!

Much easier to do with spray on a plastic model axle, than to rust remove and duplicate in the "real world" for the correct original look.........

0019-1.jpg

...........but in the end, it is all about the detail.......

R

It really helps that these new kits are so well engraved with details. Most of my work is in detail painting. The toughest part is sourcing good pictures to replicate. PS very nice job on that axle. I'm sure that took hours and hours of work to get rid of the surface rust. I've gone underneath and removed a few parts to paint / clean up but never as far as removing the whole axle. That's a true passion for your car. NICE!

Here's another picture with the body painted & polished with and some of the moldings painted. My eyesight is starting to loose it's sharpness so the detailing is not quite as crisp as I'd like it to be.

post-31184-0-51672700-1365030942_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-51672700-1365030942_thumb.jpg

I could be swayed to build one, but it would not be cheap. They do take a lot of time and effort to get them right. It's a labor of love as they say.

A diecast version would be nice to see. I don't understand why they passed it up.

Thanks!

Rich - I would be interested in a 2008 Red Coupe. Is there an option to modify the blower to look more KB and polished? and I guess the sway bars could be red instead of blue for Eibach?

R

Rich - I would be interested in a 2008 Red Coupe. Is there an option to modify the blower to look more KB and polished? and I guess the sway bars could be red instead of blue for Eibach?

R

That's a big compliment...thank you! I've never built a kit for anyone other than a close friend. Changing the color of the sways bars or other parts is easy. Creating parts that don't exist, not so much. The base kit was the Revell GT500KR. It only has the base supercharger as shown on my build. Unfortunately there are no options for upgrading to the KB supercharger in this or any other kits out there. It would be very difficult to duplicate it as well as the different shaped air tube and air filter. For my build I made / created two custom changes. The first was creating the dash gauge pod. The second was altering the hood to add the rear indents at the cowl, eliminating the splitter in the air scoop, and tweaking the outside shape of the air scoop. While time consuming they were relatively simple changes. Here's a picture of those two parts.

post-31184-0-98647100-1365040932_thumb.jpg

I did some more detailing including tinted the headlights, turn signals, and fog light lenses. For the rear taillights I foiled the backing and smoke tinted both it and the lenses. I had custom made decal from Keith Marks made for the Super Snake. Since I built the GO convertible before they were done, I masked and sprayed the top stripes. They took a few hours to get centered and straight but came out perfect. For the Coupe I tried the decals for the top stripes. They went on quicker but are not quite as nice as the painted stripes.

I did some searching on ebay and found an aftermarket resin caster that has the KB supercharger. It's not plated but at least the part exists.

post-31184-0-37353100-1365180213_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-43192300-1365180271_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-37353100-1365180213_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-43192300-1365180271_thumb.jpg

I did some more detailing including tinted the headlights, turn signals, and fog light lenses. For the rear taillights I foiled the backing and smoke tinted both it and the lenses. I had custom made decal from Keith Marks made for the Super Snake. Since I built the GO convertible before they were done, I masked and sprayed the top stripes. They took a few hours to get centered and straight but came out perfect. For the Coupe I tried the decals for the top stripes. They went on quicker but are not quite as nice as the painted stripes.

I did some searching on ebay and found an aftermarket resin caster that has the KB supercharger. It's not plated but at least the part exists.

Cool!!

Looks (and sounds) good!

R

Thanks for the positive comments guys...I assembled the body to the chassis/interior last night. Had time to finish up the engine compartment with all the decals (emblems and logo caps). Now I'm in a holding pattern until I can find better tires. The kit tires are too tall and have a squared off sidewall. They just don't look right to me. There's a national model show in 2 weeks up north in Wayne, NJ (NNL East) that might have some "aftermarket" tires to help me get this finished up. If not I have to make some call to get them from a friend. I need to wrap this up so I can get back to my full size cars. Show season is coming up quickly.

post-31184-0-29217800-1365378082_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-29217800-1365378082_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well it's just about done. I couldn't find the ultra low profile tires I wanted but, these are not a bad alternative and way better than the kit tires. I just need to ad a rear plate. Hope you guys like it.

post-31184-0-48234000-1368300992_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-57042500-1368301006_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-48234000-1368300992_thumb.jpg

post-31184-0-57042500-1368301006_thumb.jpg

Both are beauties! Your patience & attention to detail are Awesome! Am a bit partial to the GO SS 'Vert!! LOL! God Bless

Thanks for the compliment. I'm glad you like them.

Archived