TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2012 to 2013 Trade-Up – A BIG Ask.

Madlock

Having ALREADY just eaten a chunk of short-cycle depreciation to trade my 2011 Coupe for a 2012, I’ve been eagerly awaiting the banks to reopen with the full intention of trading-forward since Ford went on-record with the 2013 specs.

Now, I’m not so sure. I find myself wondering whether or not I may be better-served by keeping my 2012 and waiting for the 2014, the S197’s last – which, of course, presumes there will actually BE a 2014 and that it will represent S197 in latest and greatest final form.

One reason I didn’t hesitate to trade from 2011 to 2012 is because nobody knew what, or if, Ford planned anything significant before the 50th Anniversary car on a new platform with EcoBoost or 5.0 L-derived powertrains. I also liked what 2012 had to offer and had no way of knowing whether I’d actually prefer the 2013 car at the time.

Fortunately, I like just about everything the 2013 has to offer and its ONLY negatives (to me) are cosmetic - the lack of the narrow two-tone SVTPP stripes (which I VERY-much prefer), the more ornate SVTPP wheels and the new grille treatment to accommodate greater airflow. 2 of the 3 are VERY easily (if not cheaply) remedied.

I could take or leave the new tail light treatment – which I think was done MORE to impress the V6/GT crowd to “butch up” the styling versus the cartoonish, yet inexplicably popular, Camaro. Otherwise, the new 5.8L’s out-of-the-box power potential, new in-dash computer, adjustable suspension, launch control, Torsen differential and everything else is all very exciting.

But…

Except for launch control, in-dash-computer and the switch-selectable suspension, there’s not a whole lot that can’t be accomplished through FRPP – all the way to 750HP. If I don’t mind setting-up each of the dampers manually, even the suspension can be made adjustable too. While Ford Racing is likely to eventually offer some insane supercharger options, the existing Whipple and 5.4 L is a known quantity that’s pretty tough to beat. Besides, there’s no guarantee that the 5.8L will put-out its 650HP any more rewardingly than the 5.4L does with the 2.9L Whipple – or that Ford Racing’s solution for the 5.8L will be dramatically more powerful than the 5.4L’s 750 (or even 800 or more with Kenne Bell).

I’ve also got an entire parts department sitting in my garage that I’d intended to install on my 2011, then my 2012 – and now the 2013. I’d love to give them a good run-in on the 2012, but that would mean reinvesting all over again for the 2013 or 2014. It ALSO presumes that the 2014 won’t change in ways I DON’T want.

Fortunately, I’m in a position where I can pretty-much pursue any option I choose. But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t smart in the wallet whenever I do. My 2013 is already “in the pipe”, but I’d love to know if anybody else has had similar thoughts about waiting for 2014 – and whether they think waiting might have more benefits than risks given how closely Ford has played its cards close to the vest.

While highly unlikely, even with the 2013, it’s entirely possible that Ford Racing may decide the stock 5.8L has more than enough power and not offer anything further. This is just one of the unforeseen contingencies I’m trying to anticipate and hedge against.

I’d love to hear where others’ thought processes are.

Madlock,

I too have wrestled with the issues you raise. I upgraded from a 2010 to the 2011 SVTPP for the obvious reasons. I've been impressed with the same jump in performance of the 2013 vs 11/12's, not withstanding similar reservations concerning the questionable cosmetic changes (what was FoMoCo thinking?). Because of the expected hysteria and related ADM's likely attached to the 2013, my strategy has focused as well on the 2014 final blowout of the S197 platform. I don't think there is a question about that happening and I base that on the history of the Boss. As the 1971 Boss 351 followed two years of the Boss 302, I fully expect that Ford will produce a 2014 Boss 351 as the 5.8L is right on the money in NA trim. In the event the 2014 gets major un-welcomed changes (not likely heading into a platform transition) or doesn't happen at all (which is unimaginable), I would follow the same path with FRPP or Whipple power upgrades. The good news is, we already have a great stock Shelby. On the other hand, if the planets line up just right, I may just be driving a 2014 sometime next summer...

Just my 2 cents, I absolutely love your color combination, to me the $25k price difference between what you would get and what you would pay is absolutely ridiculous. Who cares about the 650HP, you can get well beyond that with what you have, plus when is it to much??? I for one do not understand people that want 7-800 HP unless they go to the Drag Strip, otherwise what is the point.

I absolutely LOVE my Shelby, but I will tell you a car is much more fun to drive when you can push it to its limits and not kill yourself or anyone else and stay out of jail.

Madlock,

I too have wrestled with the issues you raise. I upgraded from a 2010 to the 2011 SVTPP for the obvious reasons. I've been impressed with the same jump in performance of the 2013 vs 11/12's, not withstanding similar reservations concerning the questionable cosmetic changes (what was FoMoCo thinking?). Because of the expected hysteria and related ADM's likely attached to the 2013, my strategy has focused as well on the 2014 final blowout of the S197 platform. I don't think there is a question about that happening and I base that on the history of the Boss. As the 1971 Boss 351 followed two years of the Boss 302, I fully expect that Ford will produce a 2014 Boss 351 as the 5.8L is right on the money in NA trim. In the event the 2014 gets major un-welcomed changes (not likely heading into a platform transition) or doesn't happen at all (which is unimaginable), I would follow the same path with FRPP or Whipple power upgrades. The good news is, we already have a great stock Shelby. On the other hand, if the planets line up just right, I may just be driving a 2014 sometime next summer...

I do not think the Boss 351 will come, the 5.8 is not capable of out-performing the Coyote with-out a Supercharger. The 5.0 is a much more advanced engine.

I would not wait for a 2014 and would stick with the 2013 because I like the current body + the 650hp. IMO, there won't be a 2014, it will be a 2014-1/2 for the 50th anniversary. The body will change and include IRS, not sure on the platform. Engine will most likely not change until 2015-2016. Usually there is a life cycle which equates to set number of units to produce which allows for the tooling & R&D payback. Besides, Ford will have their hands full with the body, interior, and suspension changes over the next 1-1/2 years.

Not intending to highjack your thread here (as it is somewhat related)... Will the 2014 be on the S197 platform or will that platform be retired with the MY 2013 and the 2014 shows up on a new platform?

Is 2014 when the "Ford One plan" affects the Mustang?

-Pockdog

2013 and 2014 GT500 will be the same car. Expect to see the 2015 with an all new platform and engine combo sporting an IRS. The Shelby GT500 name is currently not planed be carried to the 2015 either. I fully expect a derivative of the current 5.0 coyote to be the top dog in the performance version of the next gen Mustang.....possibly a turbo charged application. I also think it likely we'll see the return of the "COBRA" moniker.

I have a similar question as well and after negotiation with two dealerships I come to the following conclusions.

1) I have a 2011 SVTPP Convertible that I've put the 14" Baer brakes on all 4 corners, CDC roll bar, windscreen, dead pedal, hood struts. Also added a JL Audio Stealthbox Subwoofer, Pulley, Tune, Air intake baffle eliminator, Nitto Invo Tires on Vossen 1" wider wheels and clear bra over the front of the car. Total investment of around $12k over the $59k I paid for it to be one of the first on the block with a 2011. Facts show they only made 950 convertible GT500's in 2011 which in my opinion is keeping it on the rare side.

2) I HATE THE TRANSMISSION IN MY 2011. Forget the 'grind' issue, which I have managed to avoid, but I don't like the combination of a 2.97 first gear and the 3.73 rear ratio. Upgrading to the new transmission will also require you to have a one piece driveshaft made for the car as the new transmission employs a more typical slip yoke. I completely believe that the close ratio transmission and drop to 3.31 rear ratio will solve most of the problems associated with the reported 'problems'.

3) Launch Control is an absolute necessity in my opinion.

4) I understand, but don't like the fact that you won't be able to get the track pack on the 2013 convertible, but if I trade up, it will be for a coupe this time. Nothing against my Convertible, but I think the Track Pack is the way to go as I have heat soaked my car once on a track day.

5) The 'delta' for me is calculated at taking $59K, adding $12k given a $71k investment in the current car. Dealerships are offering $42,600 and $45,000 for my trade in with the higher offer being at a dealership 600 miles away from me. That means about a $22K delta including taxes etc and that is a hard pill to swallow especially with the additional investment in the mods on my 2011. In order to keep my place in line I have to make a decision within the next couple of day.

6) I can recover the wheels/tires/pulley/programmer/subwoofer/hood struts/dead pedal/air intake but of course not all of those parts will be compatible with the new car.

I like to "DRIVE" my car and from day one, the biggest negative has been the transmission ratios and shifting perils.

Anyone that would like to chime in on this........................I welcome your thoughts.

The financial "hit" has me concerned. I had a 2011 SVTPP coupe, I loved the car, but the trans sucked. I bought the car for $500 above invoice and sold it for the mid 40's. Lost about $5000.00 on the deal, but had the car over a year and enjoyed having the Shelby. I have a friend of mine that bought a "Brand New" 2012 SVTPP coupe and paid less than $49K Out the Door. He was going to wait for 2013 but the price hike pushed him over to the 2012 model. I want a 2013 but the price increase has me second guessing my decision. The car I want is about $63K. I would keep your car and wait a little longer and wait for the "ADM" craze to settle before making a decision. Good Luck!!!

I had to max my budget just to get my well beloved '11. The depreciation hit and the price jump would financially cripple me. There will always be something better out there, so I have to enjoy what I have.

Madlock, you keep changing cars every year just for a couple of options. It seems that you are not finding what you want and modifying is apparently out of the question. Are you sure doing this over and over again is wise? You sent me a PM in the past stating something about my car's color not being very rare *shrug*. Perhaps you need to set your sights on something a bit more exotic? Or maybe leasing may end the annual trepidation of "should I upgrade or not?".

:shrug:

I like the extra power and speed of the '13, but the changes that I really want are the transmission and final drive gearing changes, along with the launch control. It would be nice to be able to reliably launch from a dig without blowing the tires off. Yes, I probably suck at driving, but still... :)

...but I think the Track Pack is the way to go as I have heat soaked my car once on a track day...

How is the track pack going to do anything for engine/supercharger heatsoak? Is the engine oil cooler going to do anything for you there? I wouldn't think so?

At any rate, from what I can figure out the TP is not a good option for a weekend fun car that only sees a few thousand miles a year. You'll just have a harder time getting the engine oil, transmission and differential fluids up to operating temp, which can't be a good thing? I don't think I'd get the track pack unless I were buying a dedicated track car.

Edit: Someone posted in another thread that the engine oil and differential fluid coolers have thermostats to keep the oil/fluid from flowing until a certain temp is met. So my concerns above are groundless.

I have been talking to my Ford saleman and he tells me they will only be getting one GT500 for 2013 they have already placed the order, it will be white with black strips, he asked me if I was interested in trading my 2012 GT500 for the 2013. My answer was no and my reason was that it has a lot of new features that need to have the bugs worked out by being on the road for at least a year. One of my other concerns is that in 2014 they will change the body style in a negative way. The saleman said he did not know what the 2014 would look like but he also hoped it would not be changed for the worst as he has sold a lot of Mustangs. He also told me that the number of Boss 302 they used to get has also been cut. He was not telling me this as a sales ploy as they have sold all of the 2012 Boss and GT500 they had very early, they do not add on any extra charges as do some dealers in the area. I will hold on to my 2012 and see what 2014 may bring....I think.. but I do buy things on a whim and that makes my wife crazy.

Everything I have ever driven has had its performance upgraded with mixed results. I have been around long enough to recognize how desirable and over the top a 650 (factory) HP (convertible in my case) will be. Buy it, drive it and consider that it may be a keeper.

What makes a car a keeper is outlandish performance followed by an economic downturn that makes such car a high point for a long time in the future.

The 1930's and the 1960's are historic examples. In the 1930's Duesenberg more than DOUBLED the power of its Model J to 265 HP versus the most powerful car of the era, the Chrysler Imperial at 112 HP. The Great Depression ended that era of automotive excellence. And remember, this car was offered after the crash of 1929. Product cycles were much longer than today.

In 1969 the Camaro ZL1 offered 500 HP. The 1970's were an economic nightmare. Sounding familiar.

Unless you can afford a Veyron, grab a piece of history. It doesn't come around very often. Somewhere through this period of time is a slam dunk to repeat as one of the greatest ever for automobiles.

If you have the funds and can handle the hit you will take by all means get the 2013 as it has many improvements. I personally can't handle the raping I would take for the trade so it's a measley 550 HP and my poor slow 2012 for me.....LOL, the 10s,11s, and 12s are plenty for 99% of the drivers including me.

I have a 2011 w/ the 2.9L Ford Racing Package, and am thinking seriously of getting a 2013.

The suspension upgrades, gearing, and launch control are definitely attractive.

Plus the '11 is Grabber Blue w/ white stripes, and it gets a little TOO much attention sometimes...

I have a 2011 w/ the 2.9L Ford Racing Package, and am thinking seriously of getting a 2013.

The suspension upgrades, gearing, and launch control are definitely attractive.

Plus the '11 is Grabber Blue w/ white stripes, and it gets a little TOO much attention sometimes...

I'd wait for the reviews of the 2013 to come out before I'd sell your car. That's a beast of a machine as it is.

If I were you I'd wait for reviews.

Archived