TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Should we drive em????

Redlinetoys

I drive mine as much as possible. I'll be driving it until it's unrepairable or I can't drive anymore. I don't drive it in the winter though, michigan roads are bad to begin with, there's not way I'd even try to go out once the plows had their way with them - pot holes everywhere!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We left for the 50th Bash with 9,600 miles, and returned one week later with 2,940 additionals miles-

Best trip ever- I vote to DRIVE IT !!!!!

Though not a daily driver I hit 10000 miles during the bash. I drove it out to LA, back to Vegas and to Paharump 2 days. I take it out when ever the weather permits, even on a clear day in the dead of winter, though I just don't stomp on it. As Carroll says, they're ment to be driven. Keep Driving em Like You Stole them.

If a person has only one vehicle it, obviously, must be a daily driver. If you can afford to make it a garage queen, and take exquisite pride in such, it is your choice. But many on this site do not live in areas of snow and ice and it is easy to say just drive it. And it is not the snow and ice per se but the elevated probability of being involved in an accident. And even worse is the accompanying road salt. The road salt and slush splash underneath everywhere and destroy a vehicle from the inside. And the cold takes it toll on the welds, suspension, engine, clutch, transmission, carpeting, etc. And the road salt spray/slush eats the chrome/polished wheels. And we already know that Ford left the differential unfinished (rusty butt!) so you can only imagine what additional salt spray will do. I could be wrong but I doubt if even CS would tell us to drive that rear wheel drive, light rear end, in snow and ice.

drive them yes. where is the fun if you don't. lol just drove 235 to vegas and back and my boss drove the convertible.

as well drove them from orlando back home when i got them. it is so cool the stares and conversations that get started by driving them...

We don't drive in the winter on the SD roads but the last month the weather has been beautiful and roads dry so have been driving 90 miles a day to work. Awesome vehicle and love the people pointing and the looks when I go by-especially the teenagers! A couple young boys walked by the station when I was getting gas and asked how much the car cost=I told them and one says he's gonna buy one when he gets older. The other one tells him "you're going to have to mow a lot of lawns to afford that! Priceless.

SGT is a nice weather driver. I bought an 2006 Legend Lime GT Coupe last summer and will drive it alot more often. However, during the brutal Iowa winters they will both be parked. I have a 93 Buick Park Ave that is my snow plow vehicle.

th_096.jpg

SGT is a nice weather driver. I bought an 2006 Legend Lime GT Coupe last summer and will drive it alot more often. However, during the brutal Iowa winters they will both be parked. I have a 93 Buick Park Ave that is my snow plow vehicle.

th_096.jpg

what is a snow plow? :hysterical2: Dave, you need to move south where we can pretty much drive year round!

Still not driving mine enough...now that winter is over, we seem to be entering that phase of the year where is rains only on weekends....

Still not driving mine enough...now that winter is over, we seem to be entering that phase of the year where is rains only on weekends....

Same here in PA, gotta love it!

• 3 weeks later...

Mine sits for 2 weeks at a time without getting driven due to my job. So it might get 150 miles a month put on it. My dad and I took a road trip to Road Atlanta in it last Sept, and had a blast. This weekend Im taking a 500+ mile roundtrip to go to a BBQ in Abilene KS.

Mine sits in the garage 90% of the time.......

But I do drive her, in a little over 4 years I just clicked over 22,000 miles on my trip to Va. Beach last weekend to meet up with Dig-It . I drove over 400 miles, everyone of them put a smile on my face....

For the most part, mine is a weekend driver with the exception of trips to car related events like the Woodward Dream Cruise, the Pony's on the Parkway, many trips to VIR and local cruise-ins.

I use the 2012 as a daily driver---putting too many miles on the Rator. The Raptor is worth a lot more and the Mustang at least the new ones don't hold value any better than any other vehicle. Go and try and trade one in around here and you are in for a big suprize.

Being retired helps with the daily driver question. I drive the T bird around town and the Boss and GT-H to special events. My wife's HHR is the work horse and tow vehicle behind the Motorhome. Not to much snow in Atlanta to worry about. Drive em all year long.

post-9597-0-28450100-1335201384_thumb.jpg

post-9597-0-28450100-1335201384_thumb.jpg

I agree with most folks that they are made to be driven. Mine is a 2008 and a daily driver, bought it this January and have put about 4K on her since then, lots of back and forth and a couple out of state trips. I do have access to a couple SUVs when I need them; this past weekend I made a round trip to D.C., Va beach and back to N.C. in my Explorer. I am trying to find the balance between driving her and keeping miles low.

• 4 weeks later...

Drive 'em all day, every day, 24/7. My 07SGT has over 65k on the clock. It and my '70 fastback are the only cars I own since my ex totaled my Escape. SGT's are pretty good in the snow.

RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!! IT KILLS ME TO SEE HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE SCARED TO DRIVE THEIR CARS. WHY EVEN HAVE THEM? SO YOU CAN TELL YOUR FRIENDS? HAMMER DOWN, SON!!

If I wanted something pretty for my wall I woulda bought a picture of a Shelby. My baby's gettin driven!

RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!! IT KILLS ME TO SEE HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE SCARED TO DRIVE THEIR CARS. WHY EVEN HAVE THEM? SO YOU CAN TELL YOUR FRIENDS? HAMMER DOWN, SON!!

Short story.

We'd decided to donate the first SGT at BJ for the Foundation. Carroll was scheduled to be at the auction but couldn't make it (and we were alerted, and Jenni did a wonderful job).

After the car crossed the block we were at the "outside" for the photo session and Scott Black came up with his phone and said "Carroll would like to talk to you". Oops. Caught me off guard. After the thanks for the donation I told him I'd bought a Cobra. His words were "You're going to drive it aren't you?" My words were "absolutely" and I did. As I will with the FGT.

Every time I hear someone say they're going to buy a car an put it up on blocks I remember the words in this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oRtMIhyTgI

"But if it doesn't win, you may as well hang it in an art gallery".

I bought this on DVD and share it with friends. Everyone thinks it is masterful film making.

Thanks for sharing this. I just ordered the DVD.

That's the problem with having multiple cars I guess - if i have a choice of commuting to work in my DD in lieu of the SGT, and avoiding the risk of damage, dirt, dings, scratches, etc., there is a natural tendency to take the DD!! Then, when the weekend comes, and its raining or other sloppy weather - take the DD!! If its snowing and winter - take the DD!!!

So, as a result, less than 9K miles on the SGT after 5 years...

Some of us have the option of having a DD and a Shelby. But I can tell you the miles I put on the Shelby put a smile on my face like you wouldn't believe and when I feel it wearing off I take the Shelby to the Track ,Strip or around town and put that smile right back where it belongs. Just got back from the 1/4 mile tonight did 5 runs best was 14.44 @100mph I know not the best but not bad for a stock 2007 SGT..............I had a BLAST.

Archived