TEAM SHELBY FORUM

EVAP system HELP!!!!!!!!

The car started throwing a trouble code of P0446 and said there was an EVAP problem with the car. I checked the gas cap and cleared the code but it came right back. Went to go fill up the car a couple days later and it took forever. It seemed like the gas just wouldn't go in (Maybe back pressure). Also noticed the car was very hard to restart after running for 10-15 minutes. I'm not under the factory warranty so I cannot expect Ford to fix it. Just looking for some advice about trouble shooting the problem. I started having the problem when I installed an aftermarket x-pipe with no cats. Since then I've reinstalled the stock x-pipe and the car is still having the problem. After reinstalling the factory cats I retuned the car back to where it was before the problem. Called Ford and they have the EVAP canister vent soleniod for $100 or the entire canister unit for $360. Before I start throwing money at parts has anybody ever had this problem and if so what was the solution. Any help would be appreciated. The car is a 2008 with 19,000 miles.

Interesting problem. The fuel not wanting to go into the tank seems like a pressure issue; almost as if the fuel pump is working against a collapsed fuel line. I do know that too high or too low fuel tank pressures can throw an EVAP code. I would check for crushed or bent fuel lines, including the evap lines. The canister rarely go bad. How does the car run?

I had a similar fueling problem with my 07 GT500. I couldn't get gas in the tank when filling up at a service station. The problem turned out to be damage to the fill hose that connects the fuel tank to the fill tube. A blistered section had developed on the inside of the hose. The inside layer of the hose had delaminated and blocked about 3/4 of the opening. From the outside the hose looked normal. The problem was caused by excessive heat from the exhaust system thanks to a crappy Evolution tune. You can inspect for this damage by removing the fill tube assembly. Disconnect it at the hose clamp on top of the tank. The hose section connects the metal fill tube assembly with the fuel tank. Look down the rubber hose with a flashlight. My damage was very obvious. If you are running an aftermarket tune and/or an aftermarket exhaust, you may be running excessive exhaust temperatures. If you routed the exhaust too close to any other rubber parts, you may have damaged them. I would check all the rubber hoses before I fired the parts cannon and just started shooting parts at the car. This stuff is not that hard to get at. You can do it yourself and don't need a dealer as long as you jack the car up safely.

The clue is the exhaust work. I'll bet that the vapor recovery hose has melted against the passenger side exhaust pipe where it goes over the axle. It's a black plastic tube that runs from the tank to the cannister under the spare tire well where it becomes a rubber hose. It's been a problem forever.

Steve

Thanks guys for the responses. I'm going to check the tank as well as the exhaust but Steve brings up a good point. When I put the aftermarket x-pipe in the exhaust was really close to the vapor recovery hose on the passenger side and I just didn't think anything about it since there was a very small exhaust shield covering the pipe.

Steve, can you just replace the rubber hose?

Brett

can you just replace the rubber hose?

Brett

Brett,

It's probably the plastic tube that melted. The whole assembly (plastic tube and rubber hose) is about $23 from Silver State or Tousley. While you're waiting for the part, you can cut out the melted part and use a rubber hose temporary repair. When you fix it, use liberal amounts of zip ties to eliminate the problem.

Steve

I'm not sure. Mine was just plastic and rubber, no metal. I've got a 2008 also, but it's a coupe. Maybe there's a difference. Anyway, glad you found it.

Steve

I went back and reread your post. I think maybe you took apart the other half of what I did. I removed it from the quick connect above the exhaust pipe down to the rubber hose on the cannister under the spare tire well. That piece was about $23. Now I just looked at the picture again. It does look like you have metal where I don't. I fixed mine a few years ago, so I'll get under there tomorrow and look around.

OK. I climbed under and clarified the parts situation. There are actually two plastic tubes that run side by side for a short distance. We each melted a different tube. I looked at www.fordparts.com and I'm not sure, but it looks like you melted the part called "fuel hose". The callout number, which is the middle section of the part number (and all they divulge) is 9E325. The diagram is under "air and fuel delivery/fuel storage".

I hope that helps.

Steve

Archived