TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Life is short...enjoy it while you can

My business neighbour Walter was an avid car, truck and bike guy, hard worker. family man and all around good egg.

Three weeks ago, he received the horrific news he had cancer and this morning he lost that battle..he was 59 years old.

He had a white 65 Mustang, a Grabber blue shade of AMC Javlin a nice Harley and within the last month or so bought a new loaded up GMC diesel 4x4 and loved them all but working six and sometimes seven days a week didn't leave much time for the toys.

He, like many others work hard their whole lives for the chance at a good retirement but for him, that is something he will never realize.

I'm only posting this as a reminder to all that there are no guarantees in life at all and this could be anyone of us on any given day.

So enjoy life to the fullest, enjoy your Family, kids and friends and your toys because when that day finally arrives there are no second chances or doo-overs...

Yea, so sad. Sorry about your friend. I had a neighbor that taught me the same lesson. He died at the same age from cancer. While he worked really hard, he did play just as hard. Really changed my outlook on life in many ways. Yes, prepare for your future, but live every day like it's also your last. There's a happy medium in there somewhere. Enjoy all those around you, and do what makes you happy. Work hard, love hard, play even harder!

This is sad. So sad. Thank you for posting this powerful message. Indeed, there is no reboot, reset, or restarts.

Your last sentence is very good advice....thank you again....

I agree that it is sad. Sad for his loved ones that will miss him dearly. Sad that he does not have anymore time here on this earth with his loved ones.

Anytime someone dies that I do not know, I wonder if they knew the Lord and accepted Him as there personal Savior. Sometimes someone will tell me that they did know the Lord and it puts a smile on my face because I know that they are at the right hand of the Father and that the "do over" is incredible. Sometimes I'm told that they did not.....and that makes me very sad, because there truly is no do over.

th_heroo.jpg

WOW, just a 3 week notice. That is not fare. My Prayers go out to his Family. I think thats why I have been trying to do all I can, working on fulfilling my Dreams and Goals. Life is to short and when you hit 50, it really starts to sink in, especially when you keep hearing about someone passing at such young ages (55 to 80), it really makes you think about all the things you wished you had done and can't now.

My business neighbour Walter was an avid car, truck and bike guy, hard worker. family man and all around good egg.

Three weeks ago, he received the horrific news he had cancer and this morning he lost that battle..he was 59 years old.

He had a white 65 Mustang, a Grabber blue shade of AMC Javlin a nice Harley and within the last month or so bought a new loaded up GMC diesel 4x4 and loved them all but working six and sometimes seven days a week didn't leave much time for the toys.

He, like many others work hard their whole lives for the chance at a good retirement but for him, that is something he will never realize.

I'm only posting this as a reminder to all that there are no guarantees in life at all and this could be anyone of us on any given day.

So enjoy life to the fullest, enjoy your Family, kids and friends and your toys because when that day finally arrives there are no second chances or doo-overs...

Sorry to hear about your friend...I agree enjoy while we can because there may be no tomorrow...I retired 3 years ago at 50 at

that time I didn't think it was the right thing to do...After working my tail off since I was 15 to me there was no other way to live but

my love of my life wifey said enough so I sold my half of the company and looking back it;s the best thing I ever done.

Sorry to hear your news. My next door neighbor's wife went thru the same thing. A litle over 3 weeks from her diagnosis to her funeral. :cry: You just never know.

I was diagnosed with cancer at 59, 18 months ago. I beat it and been in full remission for over 400 days now. Cancer really does change our outlook on life. I do cherish every day now. I have become a nicer person to other people and am not as self centered as I used to be. I have counciled several men who were also diagnosed, at the request of my doctor. I am not fortunate enough to be able to retire yet but I make the most of my job and my free time, now.

Sorry to hear about your neighbor that's sad. I've had firsthand experience with losing, not just 1 but 2 immediate family members. My Mother passed away at just 48 years old from Cancer, took me many years to get over the hurt from losing my best friend, then I was just bouncing back and I lost my 38 year old baby Sister unexpectedly just 3 years ago still trying to get over that hurt. My last 12 years have had some rough roads but at the same time has taught me Life is very short, the days and years are flying by therefore we shouldn't take anyone for granted and remain close to the ones you Love, especially the people that mean the most to you. :wub: I have my Dad and wonderful Son and I'm grateful but I did lose my 2 dearest female friends as well. :angel: :angel:

Sorry to hear your news. My next door neighbor's wife went thru the same thing. A litle over 3 weeks from her diagnosis to her funeral. :cry: You just never know.

I was diagnosed with cancer at 59, 18 months ago. I beat it and been in full remission for over 400 days now. Cancer really does change our outlook on life. I do cherish every day now. I have become a nicer person to other people and am not as self centered as I used to be. I have counciled several men who were also diagnosed, at the request of my doctor. I am not fortunate enough to be able to retire yet but I make the most of my job and my free time, now.

Outstanding news and great advice................ :happy feet:

At least he had three weeks to get his affairs in order...........................very sad.

At least he had three weeks to get his affairs in order...........................very sad.

storm,

Good point, but sometimes you don't even get that much notice.

My father was struck and killed in a crosswalk while out on his morning walk eleven some odd years ago. It was a heck of a way for a former fighter pilot to pass when you consider he flew 6 sorties on D-Day and had 2 planes shot out from underneath him over the following months. Had to evade the Nazis in France the first time and ditch in the English Channel on the second.

That said, lots of good advice here. Live every day as if it was your last. Don't put off for tomorrow what you can do today when it comes to family and friends. Tell them you love them!!! Each day is a gift and tomorrow is a promise to no one...

Powerful stories here, sorry to see hear the news about your neighbor. Seen it too many times where I where work, folks wishing they had more time but laying on their death bed (at times with all the money in the world) they tell me their stories and they hit home. We can not turn the clocks back, I am not saying to live life a recklessly but in way at times we live life backwards, we try to make the $ so when we are older we can go travel or do things we always wanted to but when we are older (now a days most will work well into their 50's and 60's to retire) and when some are older they are plagued by illnesses or disabilities that they can no longer take those vacations to say go see the great wall of China or go climb a mountain. I have fought in Iraq and made it back home with all of my limbs intact and for that I thank the Lord and that it took such an event for me to open my eyes that my life could've been taken in a moment's instance. So one night I promised myself that when I get back home I will appreciate all the small things as dumb as it may seem, my warm bed at night and a hot shower everyday are amongst the small things that puts a smile on my face. I don't have a huge bank acct. but my wife and I make due with what we have. Go out there and live a little, most of us own a Shelby vehicle in which other folks around the globe can only read about it so go and lay some rubber down smile :peelout:

Very Sad, Like Grabber I hope he knew the lord and was saved. I can't even Imagine living life just like we all are right now and thinking everything is fine. Going to the doctor and finding out you have weeks to live. My heart goes out to his family and friends that are greeving. Very scary

Powerful stories here, sorry to see hear the news about your neighbor. Seen it too many times where I where work, folks wishing they had more time but laying on their death bed (at times with all the money in the world) they tell me their stories and they hit home. We can not turn the clocks back, I am not saying to live life a recklessly but in way at times we live life backwards, we try to make the $ so when we are older we can go travel or do things we always wanted to but when we are older (now a days most will work well into their 50's and 60's to retire) and when some are older they are plagued by illnesses or disabilities that they can no longer take those vacations to say go see the great wall of China or go climb a mountain. I have fought in Iraq and made it back home with all of my limbs intact and for that I thank the Lord and that it took such an event for me to open my eyes that my life could've been taken in a moment's instance. So one night I promised myself that when I get back home I will appreciate all the small things as dumb as it may seem, my warm bed at night and a hot shower everyday are amongst the small things that puts a smile on my face. I don't have a huge bank acct. but my wife and I make due with what we have. Go out there and live a little, most of us own a Shelby vehicle in which other folks around the globe can only read about it so go and lay some rubber down smile :peelout:

Well said FordRocks. As the saying goes "Life is the dash between the dates"

Too many times I have seen people put away acorns they planned to eat later. Lots of acorns. Later never came. There needs to be a balance. My wife and I live like we could die at any time. As I grow older I am slowing down. I am glad I had a great time while I still had the energy to do so.

Sorry for your loss.

Thanks to all for the prayers and kind words..

Walter was laid to rest yesterday with his big Harley parked out front of the church

which his Son rode in his memory...many had a tough time fighting back the tears..

I also found out that his little 4 year old Granddaughter has also been fighting cancer since last year..

That news was so heart wrenching I could barely swallow...

Sometimes the world just seems to cruel...

Thank you all again..

How much can this poor family take. Makes you wonder why, they are in my prayers. I hope the lord gives them the strength, I can't imagine having one of my children diagnosed with cancer. It's alot for that family to bear.

Thanks to all for the prayers and kind words..

Walter was laid to rest yesterday with his big Harley parked out front of the church

which his Son rode in his memory...many had a tough time fighting back the tears..

I also found out that his little 4 year old Granddaughter has also been fighting cancer since last year..

That news was so heart wrenching I could barely swallow...

Sometimes the world just seems to cruel...

Thank you all again..

My prayers going to the Family during this very tough and impossible time.

very powerful stories indeed...

my prayers go out to those who are suffering the loss of loved ones, friends and neighbors......

sometimes I wonder if I can afford to do the things I plan to do..........then threads like this make me wonder if I can afford not to.......

Archived