TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Actual horsepower

I know the Shelby GT's are rated at 319hp, but mine feels much stronger than that. I have a 94 Cobra with 300hp and 3.73 rear gears and the Shelby is noticeably faster. The Shelby is a heavier car with higher gears so I figured the Cobra should be about equal to it but it doesn't even seem close. Is 319hp correct or are these cars conservetively rated?

• 1 month later...

Curious, how do you know its about 329 hp? You could have used a 15% factor and gotten 322, or 13.9% to get the advertised 319. I don't know the real answer, I am just wondering.

.....I realized that today when I posted on another thread. I had been told the correction was 15% that should have come out to the 329. Lately I was told the correction is 12% which equals the advertised 319. If there was any confusion I am sorry for bad or misinformation. I should say I don't know either. In july, after I have a few miles on mine I am going to have my car dynoed, headers and maybe 3.73 installed, and then tuned. I will ask an actual tech the scoop. I am sure somebody on here will educate us in the meantime......

• 3 weeks later...
.....I realized that today when I posted on another thread. I had been told the correction was 15% that should have come out to the 329. Lately I was told the correction is 12% which equals the advertised 319. If there was any confusion I am sorry for bad or misinformation. I should say I don't know either. In july, after I have a few miles on mine I am going to have my car dynoed, headers and maybe 3.73 installed, and then tuned. I will ask an actual tech the scoop. I am sure somebody on here will educate us in the meantime......

I went down to Realspeed to speak to SICK DAVE ( LI NY realspeedautomotive.com) to install upgrades, while I was there we installed Steeda elbow and SCT2 tuner. I set up a date July 9th to install Steeda motion deletes, under drive pulleys and BBK long tube headers/off road X pipe. When all said done it will be dynoed and soon as it's done I will post for everyone to see. Three days ago I installed FOMOCO 4.10s dam what a difference Smoking!! I am thinking maybe 4.30 not a bad idea!! Black SGT CSM 2749

post-8960-1180664160_thumb.jpg

post-8960-1180664160_thumb.jpg

I know the Shelby GT's are rated at 319hp, but mine feels much stronger than that. I have a 94 Cobra with 300hp and 3.73 rear gears and the Shelby is noticeably faster. The Shelby is a heavier car with higher gears so I figured the Cobra should be about equal to it but it doesn't even seem close. Is 319hp correct or are these cars conservetively rated?

A Dyno run I saw on another forum seems to bear out that the 319 is appoximately correct, depending on the % factor one applies to the rear-wheel results.

I went down to Realspeed to speak to SICK DAVE ( LI NY realspeedautomotive.com) to install upgrades, while I was there we installed Steeda elbow and SCT2 tuner. I set up a date July 9th to install Steeda motion deletes, under drive pulleys and BBK long tube headers/off road X pipe. When all said done it will be dynoed and soon as it's done I will post for everyone to see. Three days ago I installed FOMOCO 4.10s dam what a difference Smoking!! I am thinking maybe 4.30 not a bad idea!! Black SGT CSM 2749

Welcome to the board Louie!

The dyno results of 281 RWHP using 88% efficiency gives 319 hp at the crank which is in the Shelby GT manual. However, the measure RW torque of 301 lb-ft results in 342 lb-ft at the crank (assuming the torque efficiency scales like the horsepower), not 333 lb-ft as reported in the Shelby GT manual. You can really feel the torque! Also as compared to my Chevelle, the torque curve is fairly flat over the RPM range. I've observed that my SGT is noticably quicker than my 70 Chevelle SS396 (stock).

My guess is there i a bit of conservation but not much. One reason your new SGT seems and most likely is faster (maybe Quicker is more appropriate) is the S197 platform is way better than the Fox bodied Mustangs, The balance and chassis geometry makes the car much more efficient with respect to transfer of power to the ground

Shelby GT…Awesome ride

• 3 weeks later...

When Shelby autos EPA tested the engine at the crank, it came out at 319. They ran the test again and it came out at 320. So there really isn't a need to figure out the HP at the crank. The EPA test has already determined HP at the crank.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpost.php...p;postcount=213

I'm aware of 2 separate dyno runs for stock manual SGTs. One came out at 279 and the other at 281. So that comes out to a 40hp loss through the manual drivetrain or 12.22%.

Archived