TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Yes the 2013 will rock, but will it have a functional oil pressure gauge?

KEYSTONE

I've seen several videos and screen shots of the "track apps" dash display. I see it has nifty video-based gauges for boost and other engine parameters, but the only time I've seen a screen shot for the oil pressure gauge was when the car was off and it just read "LOW" instead of the numeric value of 0 psi.

I am still pretty pissed that my 2011 has the equivalent of an "idiot light with a needle", in that the oil pressure gauge is either "normal" or "low", with none of the normal variation (due to oil temp and engine RPM) that a real gauge portrays. From my initial rant on this topic back in 2010, I was told that Ford decided that people did not know how to interpret a true oil pressure gauge. Apparently folks would freak out if oil pressure at idle in a car at normal operating temp is (correctly) lower than the idle oil pressure when the engine is cold started. Really Ford? There are about 300+ "WARNINGS" and "CAUTIONS" in the owners manual. How about you give me a real oil pressure gauge and just include a "WARNING" that oil pressure decreases as oil temp increases.....

So, can someone tell me if the 2013 has a real sending unit to send true pressure readings to the Track Apps screen, or does it have a 1940's era binary normal/low sending unit? One of my cost justifications for considering a trade-in of my 2011 for a 2013 is that by going with the 2013 I can offset the cost of adding a gauge pod to the dash of my 2011, similar to the one on the Boss LS. I'd appreciate it if someone can track down this info for me and/or post a link to a video of the Track Apps display with the engine running and showing a numeric oil pressure reading (example "47 psi") instead of a f#$%^ng "Normal" reading....

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this back up to see if anyone has had the chance to observe the oil pressure reading on the '13 dash with the engine running. I've saved more than one engine from total grenading by observing variations (on the low side) from prior oil pressure readings, so I want the utility of a real gauge....

On a side note, my local dealer has two (2) 2012 Boss cars on the lot, both are non-LS versions. Their dashes don't even have the make-believe oil pressure gauge found in the Shelby. So, maybe I should feel lucky with a faux gauge after all....

• 3 weeks later...

Archived