TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Robert, Why did you skip 1974-78 Mustangs

David Hawkins

I have often wondered this. I remember mine well....a good, reliable economical car that took me through my college years and well into my early career years....

FordMustangII19740056.jpg

Seeing your pic ilmor, I had a flashback to '79 when I was a young

father of two infants driving a Fairmont Z roof with a 2.3L auto.

The Fairmont. Another Pinto offspring. My friends called it the Barf-mont.

Went from a 74 Vette to that.

Seeing your pic ilmor, I had a flashback to '79 when I was a young

father of two infants driving a Fairmont Z roof with a 2.3L auto.

The Fairmont. Another Pinto offspring. My friends called it the Barf-mont.

Went from a 74 Vette to that.

Wasn't the Fairmont a Fox chassis. There is a guy with a shoebox Fairmont in Norcal Shelby Club with a 347, 5 speed , cobra wheels that rocks

Wasn't the Fairmont a Fox chassis. There is a guy with a shoebox Fairmont in Norcal Shelby Club with a 347, 5 speed , cobra wheels that rocks

+1. The Fairmont was the first Ford car to use the Fox chassis for the 1978 model year. The Mustang was introduced a year later with a version of that same chassis.

That's putting it politely. My response was "were those Mustangs?" NOT.

It was indeed a Mustang (I'm sure Ford Motor Co. would agree), a new generation of Mustang, and the car did very well for Ford. It was definitely the right car for me in those days.

Hey there ilmor - that was a sweet looking little Mustang and sporty wheels. I'd totally dig having that right now in pristine condition sitting in my corral. The body has a Javelin appearance to it actually. Very cool vintage picture! Dana

ilmor, I'm liking that old hatch too. Those 74-78 car are still not loved by many Mustang enthusiasts, but they did help save the Mustang for us to enjoy all these years later. The early Fox year Mustangs are really starting to pick up in values and interest most recently. I'm just not convinved the 74-78 will ever be loved much.

I dug up a couple of more vintage shots...I have one more but its not scanned yet...

fordmustang219740002.jpg

1974FordMustangIImythirdcar.jpg

That looks like a MACH 1. I am looking for a 1974-78 Hatch Back to play with. I perfer a T-Top Car.

I'm just not convinved the 74-78 will ever be loved much.

There are many reasons why, where would you like me to start... :stirpot:

But, in defense of the Mustang, that entire generation of the American automobile landscape wasn't much to write home about....that is why I drove a '76 German built and engineered V6 Mercury Capri in that time.

Of course, with Farrah Fawcett on the hood of the white with blue striped car..... :wub2:

That's putting it politely. My response was "were those Mustangs?" NOT.

Wrong. They very much are Mustangs, just as much as any other. They wore the pony & the snake up front and no excuses need to be made. Thanks to the Mustang II, the Mustang is the longest continuously produced American car (maybe in the world as well?). Not to mention the 1974 model year is STILL one of the top five model years sales-wise to this day. Unfortunately most are gone now and have actually been touted in some books as "sleepers" that are poised to go way up in value as time goes on and people catch on.

I owned two of them back when I was a teen. I had great fun in them. I actually blew away a monster police package Dodge Monaco on a twisty road driving my '76 Cobra II. Unfortunately it couldn't outrun Motorola. (Don't ask).

3rdCar-1976Cobra-1.jpg1stCar-1974Mustang.jpg

One argument that is often mentioned by fans of the Mustang II is how this car helped to "save" the Mustang during a tough rea for the automobile industry. Not sure how this argument can be made when you compare to GM's apporach during the same era. GM kept the second generation Camaro and Firebird in production all that time, and while these cars lost some power and popularity in the mid '70s, by the late '70s, they became quite popular once again and had gained some of their horsepower back. Late '70s Trans Am are actually becoming collectible, especially the rare versions such as the turbo V8. Ford coulds have done the same by updating the 71-73 Mustang platform; after all, the second gen Camaro/Firebird was introduced at roughly the same time and was kept in production for over a decade.

I agree that the Mustang II sold well when it was introduced, but so did the Chevy Citation, and I'm not sure anyone would call this one a great achievements of the american automobile industry. High sales numbers should not be confused with greatness.

I ordered a 78 mustang w/ralley pkg. 4speed 302 engine I had hooker headers on it and I would open them up sometimes. I could just sit and smoke the tires from light change to light change. I had the bolt that held the clutch,brake and gas pedal snap off so much that I had 3 sets and the rachet and wrench in the glove box!!!!! My best friend had a 65 Mercury Comet that was fiberglass from the factory. It had a plate in the glove box that said "this car has been built by the ford motor company for off road racing only. Boy did that car run!!!

Thanks to the Mustang II, the Mustang is the longest continuously produced American car (maybe in the world as well?).

The Corvette has been in continuous production since '53.

WRONG WRONG WRONG........there was NO 1983 Corvette. Bonneville would have had the Honors but they changed the Name to G8.

One argument that is often mentioned by fans of the Mustang II is how this car helped to "save" the Mustang during a tough rea for the automobile industry. Not sure how this argument can be made when you compare to GM's apporach during the same era. GM kept the second generation Camaro and Firebird in production all that time, and while these cars lost some power and popularity in the mid '70s, by the late '70s, they became quite popular once again and had gained some of their horsepower back. Late '70s Trans Am are actually becoming collectible, especially the rare versions such as the turbo V8. Ford coulds have done the same by updating the 71-73 Mustang platform; after all, the second gen Camaro/Firebird was introduced at roughly the same time and was kept in production for over a decade.

I agree that the Mustang II sold well when it was introduced, but so did the Chevy Citation, and I'm not sure anyone would call this one a great achievements of the american automobile industry. High sales numbers should not be confused with greatness.

Wouldn't High Sales mean that a LOT of People really like the Car? To Me, that means it IS a Great Car.

Coulda woulda shoulda, hindsight is always 20/20. Fact is that Mustang sales were lagging badly and the Mustang II turned the sales around entirely and was a success for Ford. It was also a good car. Comparison to the Citation is apples and oranges, and lets not forget that eventually the Mustang killed the Camaro.

The 1983 Corvette does not exist. They did not make any. Also, even though GM hung in there a bit longer, by the end of the '70s the Trans Am & Camaro were quite weak as well.

The 1979 Trans Am V8 selections only ran from 140 to 220 hp. In 1980 it was worse with the turbo verson only making 210 hp. These cars were heavier than the nimble Mustang II as well.

I suppose it also deserves mention that the Mustang II front suspension is a favorite of many hot rodders. They are holding up the front ends of many hot rods!

There is no 1983 model year, but the '82 MY was an extended run until the '84 began production very early in '83. So, continuously produced since '53.

Wouldn't High Sales mean that a LOT of People really like the Car? To Me, that means it IS a Great Car.

I have to respectufully disagree with this argument. It's basically like saying that the biggest blockbuster movie or the best selling album of the year is necessarily the best, because the most people liked it. While some popular movies and albums stand the test of time, others don't. Conversely, some that are now viewed as classics did not necessarily do so well at the box office or on the charts when they were first introduced.

The same argument can apply to cars, or to any product for that matter. Great sales can be attributed to a lot of factors. The quality of the product is obviously one possible factor, but certainly not the only one. Good marketing, brand loyalty, the size and quality of the dealer network are also very important; however, none of these have anything to do with the intrinsic value of a particular product. Pricing is also an extremely important aspect, and if my memory serves me well, the Mustang II was priced very attractively compared to the '71-73 generation. Ford had similar initial sales success when it downsized and reduced the price of the Thunderbird in 1977. The fact that those cars were more affordable than the ones they replaced and found new customers because of it does not necessarity make them better products.

If we were to use sales as the sole indicator of greatness, we must then assume that Shelbys are among the worst Mustangs ever.

I have to respectufully disagree with this argument. It's basically like saying that the biggest blockbuster movie or the best selling album of the year is necessarily the best, because the most people liked it. While some popular movies and albums stand the test of time, others don't. Conversely, some that are now viewed as classics did not necessarily do so well at the box office or on the charts when they were first introduced.

The same argument can apply to cars, or to any product for that matter. Great sales can be attributed to a lot of factors. The quality of the product is obviously one possible factor, but certainly not the only one. Good marketing, brand loyalty, the size and quality of the dealer network are also very important; however, none of these have anything to do with the intrinsic value of a particular product. Pricing is also an extremely important aspect, and if my memory serves me well, the Mustang II was priced very attractively compared to the '71-73 generation. Ford had similar initial sales success when it downsized and reduced the price of the Thunderbird in 1977. The fact that those cars were more affordable than the ones they replaced and found new customers because of it does not necessarity make them better products.

If we were to use sales as the sole indicator of greatness, we must then assume that Shelbys are among the worst Mustangs ever.

With as many Magazines doing Reviews on Cars I would think that if Bad Reviews were writen the sells would not have been that great and that goes with if the Cars WERE bad, word would have spread and sells would not have been that great. Look at the new Camaro, the First Year sells were way UP until word starting getting out about the problems the Car has then they fell. The Mustang II was one of the Top Selling Cars. Ford would not have sold so many if the Car was a bomb. For that era, the Mustang II was the best deal on the Road. It had the Looks, the Ride, the Comfort and the Gas Mileage.

Plus: Look at the sells of the 1971-73 Mustangs, a lot of people did not like them because they were huge. As far as Shelby's are concerned they can't be compared because they were made in a very Limited Number and never ment to be mass produced like a regular Mustang.

With as many Magazines doing Reviews on Cars I would think that if Bad Reviews were writen the sells would not have been that great and that goes with if the Cars WERE bad, word would have spread and sells would not have been that great. Look at the new Camaro, the First Year sells were way UP until word starting getting out about the problems the Car has then they fell. The Mustang II was one of the Top Selling Cars. Ford would not have sold so many if the Car was a bomb. For that era, the Mustang II was the best deal on the Road. It had the Looks, the Ride, the Comfort and the Gas Mileage.

Plus: Look at the sells of the 1971-73 Mustangs, a lot of people did not like them because they were huge. As far as Shelby's are concerned they can't be compared because they were made in a very Limited Number and never ment to be mass produced like a regular Mustang.

I'm not saying the Mustang II were bad (certainly not a bomb), although most car enthusiast would agree that the mid '70s were not the best era for cars in general, not just the Mustang II. All I was saying is that a huge jump on sales can be attributed to a lot of factors; how good is the product is obviously one potential factor, but not the only one. You are actually making my point by using the current Camaro as an example. I don't have the stats in front of me, but my recollection is that the first production year of the Mustang II was by far its best selling year, which would, according to your argument, demonstrate that people then realized that the car was not as great as they initially thought. Having said that, I may be wrong about the sales stats for the Mustang II.

Is it a Mustang? Yes! Popularity has nothing to do with - like it or not! (Technically, however, Ford called it a Mustang II.)

Note that there's a lot of Mustang Twos out there - in the front ends of MANY project/kit cars!

Sam

Archived