TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Changing tyre sizes on a 2007 Shelby...

Reaper69ZA

Yo...

I need to change the original tyres on my car but I am having a real problem finding the original sizes especially for the rear tyres. (285/40R18)

What would be the impact or difference if I were to substitute that with a more common size like 275/45R18 or 275/40R18? And which of the two would be more suitable?

Alternatively, I was thinking about changing the rim as well to solve this problem. I really like the 2011 rim but what 'side effects' can I expect? (19" front and 20" rear)

Will the new rims fit and do I have to use the original tyre size for that as well or can that be changed too?

Do I have to modify anything on the car to make it work?

I have been searching for a really long time now and I am reaching a desperate stage, so all help will be greatly appreciated...

Ps. I live in Dubai so references to stores in USA wont really be applicable...

Thank you...

What would be the impact or difference if I were to substitute that with a more common size like 275/45R18 or 275/40R18? And which of the two would be more suitable?

Both sizes would work fine. Each is approx. 12mm taller or 12mm shorter than the original. This will slightly change the overall effective gear ratio of the axle, and the speedometer will be slightly off too. An aftermarket tuner could be used to adjust the tire sizes, such as the SCT x3 tuner. Tire Rack sells both the Goodyear Eagle and Continental Sport tires in the STOCK size.

Alternatively, I was thinking about changing the rim as well to solve this problem. I really like the 2011 rim but what 'side effects' can I expect? (19" front and 20" rear)

Will the new rims fit and do I have to use the original tyre size for that as well or can that be changed too?

Do I have to modify anything on the car to make it work?

I believe the stock 2011 wheels and tires will mount up without any problems. Also, many cars have used larger diameters wheels on the rear. The only side effect I can think of is that the ride may be stiffer as there will be less sidewall. There may also be a slight increase in unsprung weight from the heavier wheel, but that's not a big concern. Personally though, I don't care for the staggered wheel look.

Archived