TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Want to Paint Stripes, any recommendations in or Near Westerm MA???????????????

1st time on the black sgt I paid $3,000 for all stripes and rockers and lettering..... second time with the white sgt I went somewhere else ( cause 1st guy closed up shop) I paid $1,500 ....

The $3,000 was definetely better.

The biggest thing to decide is wether to clear whole car or only clear stripes and if only clearing stripes to leave a hard edge so they are like vinyl or a tappered smooth edge. I went with the hard edge both times, I wanted to let it look like raised vinyl.

The other thing is I painted the stripes through the well for the license plate instead of around it ( like the vinyl)

Satin Silver Paint code is M7049A Sherwin Williams #63454 SHELBY GT lettering is Myriad Pro Bold Italic 163 pt.

web.jpg

web.jpg

I did mine myself the hardest part is making sure the lines are straight and bought my paint gun set up from homedepot. They were made by Husky and if you guys have been watching the speed channel. They give a lot great pointers and they have been pushing the Dupli-color ready to spray Lacquer paint. I have used it and it comes out really nice and easy to work with and easy to buff out.

1st time on the black sgt I paid $3,000 for all stripes and rockers adn lettering..... second time with the white sgt I went somewhere else ( cause 1st guy closed up shop) I paid $1,500 ....

The biggest thing to decide is wether to clear whole car or only clear stripes and if only clearing stripes to leave a hard edge so they are like vinyl or a tappered smooth edge. I went with the hard edge both times, I wanted to let it look like raised vinyl.

The other thing is I painted the stripes through the well for the license plate instead of around it ( like the vinyl)

Satin Silver Paint code is M7049A Sherwin Williams #63454 SHELBY GT lettering is Myriad Pro Bold Italic 163 pt.

web.jpg

web.jpg

Great Information, I was thinking it would cost around $2K or so. I am still not sure if I would want the raised or not. I agree I would do it like you did on the back.

Looks Great

My Stripes are not bad, I just want Paint eventually so why not do it now, I am sure close up it looks MUCH better than stickers.

1st time on the black sgt I paid $3,000 for all stripes and rockers and lettering..... second time with the white sgt I went somewhere else ( cause 1st guy closed up shop) I paid $1,500 ....

web.jpg

web.jpg

I clear over my stipes but have met guys that didn't and all they did was wet sand the edge's at an angle. Like when you sharpen a knife to get razor edge. But the clear with protect them long and of course easy to fix a chip or scratch on clear than color.

I would also be interested in a recommendation for somebody to paint on the silver stripes. I live in Southern NH, on the MASS border.

I can and have painted stripes on many cars and would highly recommend applying clear coat over them. I recently spoke with another TS member in NH (SGT0767) about his painted stripe application. I live in Central CT, about 2-1/2 hours from Southern N.H. I can go into great detail on refinish work but I'll try to keep it short. For best results and longevity, wet sand the entire panel with 1200 grit paper. Mask off the stripe and spray it with base coat. Remove tape after 30 min. and apply 2 coats of clear to the entire panel surface. Lights & bumper covers must be removed after tape lines are established and painted off the car. Typical cost is around $1600 for "Over the Top" stripes in any color depending on stripe design. Painted rocker stripes will almost triple in cost because the entire car will now be painted. Materials I use are RM Diamont which are expensive. A 1/2 pint of Race Red (code PQ) base coat is $76.00. These are the top shelf products that can be used in a natural cure environment. The same company also has the Glasurit line, the best paint available, which is designed for production and requires a bake or UV cure. Time frame for the car is 9 days because I do this work at my home on the side. References available. PM me if interested.

GT350 where in CT do you live? I am right over the border in Southwick, MA.

I would probably just do over the top because like you said the sides hit all panels and those stickers stay in good shape and you can not even tell they are stickers unless your right next to them.

GT350 where in CT do you live? I am right over the border in Southwick, MA.

I would probably just do over the top because like you said the sides hit all panels and those stickers stay in good shape and you can not even tell they are stickers unless your right next to them.

Burlington - Zip Code 06013. 1 mile from the Bristol /Farmington town line.

I posted this up in the stripes thread, but I'll repeat just for informational purposes:

Yesterday, I ran into John Luft after the Amelia Concours while they were loading the 50th Anniversary GT350 and GTS on the trailer. John said that the GT350, GTS, and other cars are being offered with either PAINTED or "PAINT ON VINYL" stripes. I asked if the "paint on vinyl" stripes were the Flex Paint product and he gave an affirmative answer!

Elsewhere on the forum, John Farmer (mrfarmdog - Stuck On You Graphics) mentioned this Flex Paint product as well.

Anyway, point being, there is a somewhat cheaper alternative to paint available, and my understanding is this product behaves and can be treated just like paint.

Sam

I posted this up in the stripes thread, but I'll repeat just for informational purposes:

Yesterday, I ran into John Luft after the Amelia Concours while they were loading the 50th Anniversary GT350 and GTS on the trailer. John said that the GT350, GTS, and other cars are being offered with either PAINTED or "PAINT ON VINYL" stripes. I asked if the "paint on vinyl" stripes were the Flex Paint product and he gave an affirmative answer!

Elsewhere on the forum, John Farmer (mrfarmdog - Stuck On You Graphics) mentioned this Flex Paint product as well.

Anyway, point being, there is a somewhat cheaper alternative to paint available, and my understanding is this product behaves and can be treated just like paint.

Sam

These types of decals are produced from "Enamel Receptive Vinyl". Usually comes in white or clear and once the decal is cut, it can be painted with automotive grade paint products. The primary use was to have a decal applied to a surface which could then be clear coated with good adhesion properties. Standard grade vinyl can also curl when clear coated because the solvents soften the adhesion compound. It's a good alternative if a custom color is desired, but it's still a decal.

Archived