TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need advice/ help once again

texaggie

Well even though many people stated that I should have just taken the money and traded in the gt500 after the lady backed into me, I still went ahead and sent it in to be repaired. Now I did ask for advice on who to send it to and did take the advice from some people on this forum. I brought it to Bill Fogle in Katy. I brought in the new bumper cover and new HID light to replace the damaged parts. They asked me to let them repair the original, and stated that they could fix to look just like new.

Well a week later and I still do not have the car back because they did not even come close to fixing the bumper cover properly. There were dents and paint problems on the bumper cover when I inspected it today. On the inside of the engine bay, the bumper cover still had major warping, which I specifically asked about before I allowed them to repair it; because I knew that it would be almost impossible to flatten out. They told me that they pulled out the radiator support, but it was still in the same position and the cold air filter was still bunched up against the front of the intake box. They aslo, had not replaced the stripes, which has over spray on them now. When I asked why, they told me it was because the stripe guy had to re-order the stripes because the ones they tried to use did not match so they had to go ahead and order the "Ford" stripes. Why did they not just order the proper stripes to begin with?

Now that I have seen it and expressed my dissatisfaction with their work and attention to detail, they are asking me to make it right, but what they want to do will 1, change the shape of the bumper cover (they tried to tell me that they could buff out a divit in the bumper cover that is about 1/8th of an inch deep. I believe that it is too deep to buff and would create a large flat spot or even larger dent.) 2, should have already been done, and 3 when not repaired properly, should have been caught by the tech or at least by someone in charge of inspecting the work.

When I asked him why they didn't just use the bumper cover I sent them, they had no response. When I asked them if it would have been easier and faster to do they said yes, but they wanted to repair it. They had also

Now I am still without my car and have absolutely no confidence in them being able to reair and paint a kids wagon, much less my car, and I know that there is about to be a battle about this. I know that some people are going to jump at the sue them idea, but I think that it would mean 6 to 8 months before I could either see my car again if that was true or it would be another 6 to 8 months before I would see my money again.

Any ideas are welcome.

Any people in the Houston area that know these guys that could help me would also be appreciated.

Talk to your Insurance Company and see what they have to say. You should Tell the Body Shop to stop screwing with the Bumper Cover and install the New One you gave them as I have NEVER seen a Bumper Cover repaired correctly, and by all means do not pay them for the time they spent on the messed up Bumper Cover. Find a Mustang or Shelby in your Body Style and Measure from the Fire Wall to the Radiator Support on both Drivers Side and Passenger Side and then go Measure Yours and let them know just how bad they are off. If it comes down to it, Take your Car and Sue them in Small Claims Court and take your Car with you to Court, along with lots of Photos and Documentation. The minute their Lawyer trys to debunk your Photos, tell the Judge that you have the Shelby in question out side for his viewing pleasure. Good Luck.

I agree with Tesgt350 talk to your insurance company and I would have never brought it back. You brought them the bumper cover and they did not use it for the reason they are not making money on the cover. Also they did a crap job on purpose due to you bringing your own parts unless you are best buddys with a auto shop or body shop. You can get away with it on gears or other things but a body shop is very touchy with stuff like that if its a crash job. I made that mistake in my teens my stang front bumper and hood got crashed and brought my own parts and they did a crap job. The bad part it was my neighbor who did the work his body shop puts out incredible work. I showed the work to him he said just bring it back. I smart enough not too and this was coming out of my pocket so ended up telling him. You can get the money from my dad since my dad loves to crash his car anyway. My father was the worst driver no car went uncrashed !!! He started to tell my mom it was me who crashed the car.

As most car guys would say is its just as hard to find a good body shop like a good dentist. I never found a good dentist but found a great bodyshop. It's located 2hrs away and have driven to them a couple of times with my old cars the good thing my family lives close by. But they do awesome work to the point that on a trade in the dealer body guy could not find the damaged side and the paint work. . There body shop is located in a place were no white man without 2 guns would drive too.

But it comes down to you asking around and finding out the hard way. My buddy owns a body shop close to the one, I use and trust me its hard to drive past his shop. But he did my sisters car and couldn't match the paint so we said it was fine. Since it was my kid sister, I ended up taking it to the other guy and paying for it myself. Now, I am retired so doing my own work.

But remember its not worth screaming at them just take it some where else notify the insurance company that he did a crap job again. Then leave it up to the courts

Good luck

Just my two cents from the North East. This Bill Fogle appears to be a DRP shop. These shops contract with insurance companies and work at reduced rates in exchange for higher volume. Rewarded to the lowest bidder!!! DRP shops and Dealerships in general are the worst place to have body work done. It's always best to find family run independent body shop. They have a reputation to protect. Do your research, ask for previous customers to contact. I've been painting & repairing light collision for 20 years as a hobby and from what i've seen (repaired) at these types of shops is scary. My work is guaranteed for 5 years. If a shop can't provide references & a warrantee, go to someone who can. It's bothers the hell out of me to hear of people getting a poor repair job, especially on a car they take a lot of pride in.

Just my two cents from the North East. This Bill Fogle appears to be a DRP shop. These shops contract with insurance companies and work at reduced rates in exchange for higher volume. Rewarded to the lowest bidder!!! DRP shops and Dealerships in general are the worst place to have body work done. It's always best to find family run independent body shop. They have a reputation to protect. Do your research, ask for previous customers to contact. I've been painting & repairing light collision for 20 years as a hobby and from what i've seen (repaired) at these types of shops is scary. My work is guaranteed for 5 years. If a shop can't provide references & a warrantee, go to someone who can. It's bothers the hell out of me to hear of people getting a poor repair job, especially on a car they take a lot of pride in.

Hey we spoke of bad body shops before but my favorite is when people bring there cars to the dealer to get body repair. They think my car is being fix as if it never got hit. Plus its all new factory parts !! Meanwhile bacl at the ranch the car gets sent to 2 guys on a street corner with a big buket of bondo. I use to laugh when they come to get there car and it looks like a 5yr old fixed it. I have seen where they painted over bondo that wasn't even sanded. But you can't change that person mind they think the dealership does there own work. I wasn't lieing about the guy on the corner. I had my dads car and of course the car had a big dent in the door but went to brooklyn and these 2 guido's. They stop me and I see a big can of bondo they were hey guy park your car will fix that like new. I told them thank but don't need anymore headaches. That was in the 80's and you can think of the money you could have made off my dad. You would have 3 Shelby's by now !!

Archived