TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1-2 Shift problems

My brother has a Camaro RS 2SS (nobody's perfect :D) and it comes with the same Tremec gearbox.

I drove it today again.

The locking of the 2nd gear is also a two "clic clic" thing but overall, the shifting is smooth like butter...

So I am sure the GT500 shifting problem has to do with the trans all right, but also with the shifter and also with the movement of the engine and trans relative to the car's chassis (unibody).

It's not a one item problem.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm joining the crowd. I've had the grind since day 1 but have waited the 2.5 years to see how this would all shake out. We've been asking for a TSB or recall since day 1 and there has never been traction, even people reporting that one was forthcoming.

I took mine into the dealer and their tech confirmed the grind. They are also going to tear into the rear end for a significant whine that has come about over the last 3 months. Since I live in MN we're going to wait till Oct so I can enjoy the last month of driving before winter. The Ford tech called the hotline and gave the list of parts and info he read on this forum and what I provided. He told me the hotline said they were not aware of any TSB (existing or upcoming). He said he saw this before with the Mach 1 previous bodystyle and they never did a TSB, that he replaced his shifter with an aftermarket unit and it fixed it.

He thinks the shifter is causing the grinding which then damages the clutch and transmission. He said he'll know for sure once they start going into it. They're also going to start by ordering parts now to get them in time and then return them if they are not necessary. But that if we do all this and don't switch the shifter, that odds are it'll happen again.

I'm debating what to do because I don't necessarily want the extra vibration from the MGW unit. This is a daily driver for me (in the summer) and then a fun stop light or on-ramp accelerator.

My opinion, (i drive a few hundred miles a year) unless a TSB comes out leave it alone. If mines hot it will not grind. If its cold it will. Retrain yourself to pause before cracking 2nd gear. I never say never but considering how long this has been going on I just dont see a TSB coming. Its almost laughable reading OLD complaints and people talked about a TSB coming or.. "they fixed the grind in the 11's, 12's and let us not forget the 13 doesn't have it. I mean none of us know how to shift, that's why it grinds. "Sigh". Hey on the bright side the car is good looking. I hope I am wrong and they do issue a TSB, even if they did I wouldn't trust my local ford deal to work on it. Gosh they wouldn't even fix a leaking bead on my car when it was brand new. I paid a local tire shop out of my own pocket.

I'm debating what to do because I don't necessarily want the extra vibration from the MGW unit. This is a daily driver for me (in the summer) and then a fun stop light or on-ramp accelerator.

I have a MGW in my car and I get zero vibration or noise. The Kit comes with a ton of dampener material. Use it. Use it all !

So I've decided to get the MGW shifter and change the transmission oil to Amsoil at the same time. It will be a day project for me some weekend at the nearby base auto hobby shop where I can use a lift. Until then I will have fun but no high RPM shifting just as a precaution.

My opinion, (i drive a few hundred miles a year) unless a TSB comes out leave it alone. If mines hot it will not grind. If its cold it will. Retrain yourself to pause before cracking 2nd gear. I never say never but considering how long this has been going on I just dont see a TSB coming. Its almost laughable reading OLD complaints and people talked about a TSB coming or.. "they fixed the grind in the 11's, 12's and let us not forget the 13 doesn't have it. I mean none of us know how to shift, that's why it grinds. "Sigh". Hey on the bright side the car is good looking. I hope I am wrong and they do issue a TSB, even if they did I wouldn't trust my local ford deal to work on it. Gosh they wouldn't even fix a leaking bead on my car when it was brand new. I paid a local tire shop out of my own pocket.

+ 1 - I have CAREFULLY broken in my 2012 and the stock shifter just keeps getting better as I near 1,000 miles. I have had no problems so far with the transmission, shifter or anything else with the car. I will be changing the transmission fluid to Mobil 1 ATF soon. From what I have been reading this should make it shift even better. Could not agree more with your statement " Retrain yourself to pause before cracking 2nd gear." All the early reviews I read on the car before I bought it indicate that this will prevent any problems. Surprised they did not fix the leaking bead on your tire. I had the same problem with the left front and they fixed it without any issue.

I dont know if anyone has compared the 1-2 shift in earlier models('07-'09) to the supposedly "improved" later models. My '09, which is bone-stock except for a FRPP handle/ball, shifts perfectly thru every gear. However, my '11 has that damn 1-2 "click-click"....but it only happens "sometimes", and not just when cold or at high rpm's. Although I think the stock shifter/handle has alot to do with the problem, I'm going to try "Mobil 1 syn atf" first, only because I've personally had good luck in the past with a simple fluid change. I'm just wondering why a 2011 doesnt shift as well(or better) than a 2009??

Yep, I'm getting the let us tear into it and change the synchros, your car has the new TSB parts (flywheel and clutch) so we'll have to disassemble and diagnose the problem and then report to the ford engineers our findings. BS.... order the 13 clutch, shifter and 1-2 & 4-5 sychros... OR issue a TSB. They're not touching my car. I'm done with these people.

I'll change to Amsoil and MGW.

Love my car but Ford Eng and the dealers are pitiful. Ford Customer care... what a joke!!!!

I Guess I'm fortunate its never grinded, Its notchy and will occasionaly lock me out under hard accel but no grind....... you would think with all the testing they do they would have fixed the baby before they released it to the public.... Nope sell it.... for 50 - 60 K.... sell it now and hope they dont notice...... What was that slogan,,,,,, Quality is JOB 1.

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously thinking of going after legal remedy. Anyone know of a really good lawyer in the NW Fla Panhandle area.

I honestly can't believe it hasn't already been done. Maybe the "TSB is going to be available" they has been talked about has/had everyone just waiting. I know this.. people have reported this TSB for years and it still hasn't been released. Some who have had the repair still grind.

I am curious about the dual clutch fluid I have been reading about on other forums. Seems ford is using it for those who complain about it being difficult to get into gear when cold. People that have made the swap say it made things better.

Dual Clutch, Fluid, Amsoil ATF, WOT, MGW Shifter, I think those mask the issue. from what I understand its a multi faceted issue, the 2013 Clutch, Blocker rings, syncros' and MGW shifter seem to eliminate the problem.

spectre500 ... what dealer did you take yours to? I just got my '11 this past June and have been having the issue. Even moreso when it's cold. The guy I got it from was not a "fast shift" kind of driver so didn't have the issue more than once or twice. For me it's got me scared to even shift to 2nd on the cooler morning we're having lately. I go from 1st to 3rd bringing the reves up a bit in 1st and going straight to 3rd (used to have a T-56 and this was a very common practive for them). I'd really like to get thih fixed if at all possible.

Thanks.

I dont know if anyone has compared the 1-2 shift in earlier models('07-'09) to the supposedly "improved" later models. My '09, which is bone-stock except for a FRPP handle/ball, shifts perfectly thru every gear. However, my '11 has that damn 1-2 "click-click"....but it only happens "sometimes", and not just when cold or at high rpm's. Although I think the stock shifter/handle has alot to do with the problem, I'm going to try "Mobil 1 syn atf" first, only because I've personally had good luck in the past with a simple fluid change. I'm just wondering why a 2011 doesnt shift as well(or better) than a 2009??

My 07 GT500 did it but can't for the life of me figure out why it's still doing it 6 years later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried AMSOIL and an MGW shifter. Here are my thoughts after driving the car for 1.5 years.

Summary: I grind a lot less than I did when I first got the car.

1) Minimal if any change using the AMSOIL.

2) MGW shifter is very nice, although I IMMEDIATELY noticed an increase in noise...I might try to add more sound mat and padding sometime. But if you put it together like the instructions say, you will hear a lot of noise especially 1 and 2nd.

Basically, I have learned how to drive the car with time. The key is a very small pause. I have gotten so I don't even have to think about the pause anymore...here's how.

The MGW shifter is very stiff and precise....more so than the stock one which is cushy by comparison. This means that shifter motions are exact every time and you can use that to your advantage.

When shifting from 1st to 2nd, I simultaneously hit the clutch to the floor and pull the shifter to the LEFT. This leftward movement is JUST ENOUGH DELAY so that when you pull it back into 2nd, it does not grind. Works almost every time. Just think "L" shape shift, or a Knight in Chess. Now it has become second nature.

Now for drag racing, maybe it's a different story...but I don't do that.

I tried AMSOIL and an MGW shifter. Here are my thoughts after driving the car for 1.5 years.

Summary: I grind a lot less than I did when I first got the car.

1) Minimal if any change using the AMSOIL.

2) MGW shifter is very nice, although I IMMEDIATELY noticed an increase in noise...I might try to add more sound mat and padding sometime. But if you put it together like the instructions say, you will hear a lot of noise especially 1 and 2nd.

Basically, I have learned how to drive the car with time. The key is a very small pause. I have gotten so I don't even have to think about the pause anymore...here's how.

The MGW shifter is very stiff and precise....more so than the stock one which is cushy by comparison. This means that shifter motions are exact every time and you can use that to your advantage.

When shifting from 1st to 2nd, I simultaneously hit the clutch to the floor and pull the shifter to the LEFT. This leftward movement is JUST ENOUGH DELAY so that when you pull it back into 2nd, it does not grind. Works almost every time. Just think "L" shape shift, or a Knight in Chess. Now it has become second nature.

Now for drag racing, maybe it's a different story...but I don't do that.

I think the problem with all of these cars is that they have a hydrolic clutch and due to the size of the hydrolic line there is a slight delay, if you used a larger line I think it would cure this problem. In the old days they had manual clutches and you could shift very fast.

I was thinking of ordering the 60 dollar line. Hey, Black Friday, only 54!

If you do intall the larger line please let me know if my thoughts on this problem are correct.

I was thinking of ordering the 60 dollar line. Hey, Black Friday, only 54!

Where from? I remember seeing a braided SS line someone posted way back but lost all of my bookmarks in a HD reload.

I think it might have been Ford Racing but I can't find one on the FRPP site.

Phill

I dont know about the 1-2 but occasionally I have issues trying to put the car into Reverse.. cant figure out why

Reverse lock-out solenoid.

I had a problem with mine. It locked me out of Reverse. I had to pull it off and unstick it.

Phill

• 2 months later...

Just wondering if there's any recent news from anyone for a TSB still potentially being issued for this problem?

I think last I heard, it was looking more and more that one might be coming out for Jan 2013 based on what I read on another thread. I'll be taking mine out of storage in a couple months I hope up here in Canada and sure be nice to get the car in earlier than later to have this looked at.

I realize sometimes the one behind the wheel could be part of the problem too, but I had an 88 GT 5.0 from new and used to quickly get it into second gear without a grind; even back then at 225 HP, it was quite a fast car. I don't think that I've changed my driving habits and yet after letting the car break in for awhile before attempting any higher rev shifts, I've had the 1-2 grind about a dozen times now and about 10000 km's on the car. I simply don't do the higher rev shifts now in fear of feeling that grind again, so either a lower rev quick shift and no problems there or a higher rev shift with a pause and of course that works too. I just think that these being performance vehicles, one should be able to do that quick shift and not have to come up with ways to avoid the grind and that takes a little bit of fun out of things, that's all.

Thx everyone.

Rob

Archived