TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1-2 Shift problems

This is a forum, many of you should be using the search part of this forum. I have had over 200 GT500's from 10-13 in my shop, including my own 10. I already posted the fix for those affected. I do get a kick out of the person that happened to NOT have a trans issue that started a thread with "13 GT500 transmission conclusion" !!! There is not conclusion, some have a synchro issue, while others do not.

Alex

I will search for your thread and see what you did. Searching yields a lot of results in many forums. I am looking for consistency's among he fixes. On forums everyone is an expert.... i didn't know you owned a shop and had first hand experience. Thank you

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a forum, many of you should be using the search part of this forum. I have had over 200 GT500's from 10-13 in my shop, including my own 10. I already posted the fix for those affected. I do get a kick out of the person that happened to NOT have a trans issue that started a thread with "13 GT500 transmission conclusion" !!! There is not conclusion, some have a synchro issue, while others do not.

Alex

Alex: I have a question. Could part of the problem with the transmissions on the the late model Shelby's be due to improper break-in procedures. I have noticed that a lot of forum members ignore Ford's recommendation to avoid performance/competition conditions until after 1,000 miles of operation. Some are even out racing their cars the day they pick them up. I thought someone with your experience may have some insight into this issue.

This is a forum, many of you should be using the search part of this forum. Alex

The search functions on this website and many more like it, SUCK. It is almost worthless. Rather than listing specific incidences of the search criteria and taking you to the exact post that your searching for, it dumps you on the first page of what could be a very long list of posts, Then you have to page through an enormous amount of data to get what you hope will be the answer to your quest. Some times is its just faster to post the question as a new topic. It is also your best chance of getting up to date information.

I think all post, topics etc that relate to the 1-2 grind should be in one pinned thread so it's easy to find because the search is not really that great. Also my transmission that was rebuilt by Ford, in America was fixed so I don't buy the Mexico does better work idea. Give anyone crap cheap parts and you get a crap cheap transmission that won't last. look at cars in the later 70s, most were junk. Never forget the Mustang II what a joke that was with a 4 banger in it and it really lasted long.

I did find vapors thread, but agree having everything 1-2 related would be helpful.

With so many manufactures having problems, and reading so many threads. It still seems strange how no one thing has corrected the problem on all of them. Some have rebuilt trannys and still have the grind while others its fixed, some fluid and mgw shifter fix while others it doesn't.

My transmission was rebuilt with the typical parts list about everyone else did, blocking ring, synchro, gear etc and after that Amsoil pure synthetic trans fluid went in, an MGW shifter and a transmission support brace that bolts the trans to the car frame so no more twisting and no more issues at all with anything. I don't know what the deal is with these transmissions other than sub-standard crap parts that should have been corrected by now. Even the 2013 has the grind. Way back in my 93 / 5.0 with the T5 Trans there were zero issues. Sounds like someone is trying to save a buck on not using quality parts and quality control. My service department along with Ford Corporate assist did a great job as well. Mine was one of the first as a 2010 and sat inside on a lift covered up waiting parts / repairs for 37 days. One would not think that of a $50K plus car.

Can you post up a picture of the "transmission support brace" so we can see the configuration. I have had the grind several times when shifting in full throttle situations. I will be doing a fluid change and MGW shifter over the winter also. I may first talk to my dealer to see what they have to offer in way of advice.

Going to take mine to Texas Motors Ford! Thanks for posting this, my 2012 has had Amsoil in it since 400 miles to try and fix the grind. Getting this fixed before I trade it in a couple of months for the dreaded ZL1 with a auto..

Going to take mine to Texas Motors Ford! Thanks for posting this, my 2012 has had Amsoil in it since 400 miles to try and fix the grind. Getting this fixed before I trade it in a couple of months for the dreaded ZL1 with a auto..

Texas Motors Ford fixed mine earlier this spring. Old Winn initially gave me some grief about how I couldn't shift properly. I think I was the first 1-2 grind issue. I took him for a drive and showed him the problem. After that, he and Santos took great care of me and my Shelby. Car shifts great. The only time I have had any slight issue since then was at a car show with it parked for several hours. I fired it up and got on it for a little departure show and it did grind. I make sure now to let it warm up and it never grinds. Prior to the fix, it didn't matter if it was warm. A high RPM shift was a guaranteed grind.

Ecrissman: The build thread in my signature on my 10 has all the parts Ford replaced. Hopefully this helps...

IngotSilverSnake: I really doubt it. I was easy on mine for the first 1000 miles, and it started grinding at 32 miles. I have had several customers also that have been easy on their cars too for the first 1000 miles and the same thing. I believe it is a Tremec thing, where certain transmissions just ended up with faulty parts.

Alex

Thanks Vapor, Usually I view the site on my mobile and it doesn't include anyone's signature, so I didn't realize that. I have since logged on with a "real" computer and went back and read all of your threads. Thank you for taking the time to detail out all the information.

Since I have only had the grind during heavy 1-2 shifts while melting the rubber off wheel spin, with a cold tranny I am not to worried about it. As long as the tires hook up regardless of rpm mine has never ground. The perfectionist in me keeps me involved with these grind threads.

Well here's my uneducated WAG on my particular situation and solution. I feel part of the problem was I tended to pull the gear shift handle slightly to the left when shifting from first to second and in doing so caused the shifter to bind/hangup until I eased off enough for the shifter to move slightly to the right and move straight back. The rubber isolation bushing in the handle gets sloppy after a while and doesn't help. I replaced the stock shifter with a Barton shifter and it is considerable more beefy and more sturdy as well as not having the rubber bushing.

The shifter does not have the same play as the stock shifter but transmits a little more vibration and noise if you keep your hand on the shifter, Solution --- Keep your damn hand off the shifter if not shifting (LOL). I'm very satisfied with my new Barton Indrustries GT-500 Shifter.

http://www.bartonind...0-PRODUCTS.html

Here is the site where I got the brace. CHE Performance.

http://www.cheperfor...om/prod-208.htm

What is your opinion of the brace as far as increased noise and vibration?

It's to bad that no one makes a replacement rear shifter bracket that mounts to the transmission rather than body, I think that it would eliminate a lot of the shifter related problems not caused by defective internal transmission parts.

IDK why some people say there is zero NVH difference from stock to MGW. There is a difference its impossible forr their not to be with all the rubber the stock one has. So far the only solution I have read is going to best buy and getting some dynamat to dampen the sound of the MGW.

The shifter does not have the same play as the stock shifter but transmits a little more vibration and noise if you keep your hand on the shifter, Solution --- Keep your damn hand off the shifter if not shifting (LOL).

When I first got my '10 I kept hearing a gear clicking noise coming from the transmission when I was in 2nd gear.

I finally figured out that I was resting my hand on the shifter and pulling it slightly back/left without realizing it. Solution: Remove hand, no more noise.

Real simple solution, real dumb-ass driver.

Phill

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd share my parts list as I got my car back yesterday.

1 AR3Z*7107*A Ring - Synchronizer

1 7R3Z*7107*C Ring - 5th speed synchro. Bloc

1 AR3Z*7102*AB Gear - Mainshaft 2nd Speed

1 AR3Z*7025*A Kit - Bearing

1 4R3Z*7B340*AA Nut - Connecting

17R3Z*7A082*A Kit - Transm Control Selector

2 AR3Z*7B096*A Pin - Roll

2 1R3Z*&L082*AA Insert - Gear Change Fork

1 CR3Z*7B546*A Clutch Asy

1 AR3Z*7400*B Control Asy - Gear Shift

6 *N808969*S100 Bolt

3 4R3Z*4B496*AA Bolt

4 *W506434*S439 Bolt

4 *W710432*S300 Spacer

1 Ar3Z*7124*AA Synchronizer Asy - 1st and 2nd

This was what the Tech sent to Ford under 'cause'...

"Test drove last summer with customer and verified concern. Retested and found condition has worsened, second gear is unobtainable under High RPM shifts. Ran Oasis and found no applicable messages. Contacted hotline, returned upcoming TSB to be released. Advised replacement of clutch assy, shifter assy, and repair of all related internal transmission damage. Removed trandmission and dissassembled for inspection. Found second gear synchro slider and speed gear dog teeth severely damaged. Noted reverse blocking rings heat damaged. Contacted hotline regarding reverse concern, stated no known concern. Noted bearings showing scoring from debris in fluid. Quoted all required components and performed cost cap analysis. Repair authorized. Ordered all required components. Rebuilt tranmission with required components, bearings and seals. Removed and replaced clutch assy, extra time needed locating special clutch alignment tool not in stock. Removed and replaced shifter assy. Reassembled and reinstalled trans. Allowed engine to warm and performed neutral misfire profile relearn procedure. Bled clutch hydraulic system. Test drove and verified proper operation at this time. Advised customer break clutch in with 500mi of easy driving. Informed adviser".

The new Ford shifter is in trunk as I had them install the MGW. Car shifts dramatically different.

Steve

"Test drove last summer with customer and verified concern. Retested and found condition has worsened, second gear is unobtainable under High RPM shifts. Ran Oasis and found no applicable messages. Contacted hotline, returned upcoming TSB to be released. Advised replacement of clutch assy, shifter assy, and repair of all related internal transmission damage. Removed trandmission and dissassembled for inspection. Found second gear synchro slider and speed gear dog teeth severely damaged. Noted reverse blocking rings heat damaged. Contacted hotline regarding reverse concern, stated no known concern. Noted bearings showing scoring from debris in fluid. Quoted all required components and performed cost cap analysis. Repair authorized. Ordered all required components. Rebuilt tranmission with required components, bearings and seals. Removed and replaced clutch assy, extra time needed locating special clutch alignment tool not in stock. Removed and replaced shifter assy. Reassembled and reinstalled trans. Allowed engine to warm and performed neutral misfire profile relearn procedure. Bled clutch hydraulic system. Test drove and verified proper operation at this time. Advised customer break clutch in with 500mi of easy driving. Informed adviser".

THIS...is a good Tech! Well done.

This is how you document a failure to the extent that the factory has to cover the warranty repair. Even his extra time to get a input shaft tool is documented (it adds time to his pay).

Two things struck me though. The replacement of the shifter assy for one and the "Allowed engine to warm and performed neutral misfire profile relearn procedure" comment.

I know what a relearn procedure is but I don't know what a "Neutral Misfire Profile" relearn is. Never heard of it but have been out of the field for some time now.

Does anyone have any documentation on that procedure?

I also see that it mentions a "upcoming TSB to be released". The shifter replacement and the possibility of a TSB on this is intriguing.

TIA,

Phill

The mechanic who did my car is their transmission guy, all he does is transmissions specifically those in the Shelby and 5.0. He is a real good guy too. As far as the neutral misfire test I have no idea what it is or why its done as I didn't even read the comments of the repair until I put it on here so obviously I couldn't ask him. Maybe I'll stop in while at work tomorrow and ask him why that is done.

Posting up what I put on SVT

Last night I went to the shop, help move some stuff around and help finish off Prelude stuck on the lift...(parts) and got Roxy up and ready for her upgrade.

Now a couple of things happened earlier that prompted me to move forward. I had a escalation in with Ford customer service about the 1~2 shift issue. Now mind you, I have not had it happen a lot, just at the track a few times.....But hey might as well get a fix if one is there for it. I met with the Ford rep, and a engineer from Ford(surprised) and we spoke about the issue in debt.

What I found is that my car/build actually had the newer parts they are replacing in some models about the shift issue. (He had a list and it matched up with several list people have shown on the nets) Long story short he basically said its the shifter, and in not so many words he was like use a nice aftermarket if you do not want to wait for Ford to retro fit the new 13 to the 11~12's. Even people with the new tranny parts could experience the issue from 1~2 or even 4~5 at high speeds because of the shifter. (I have actually had the 4~5 thing happen once).

So after some more talk about 13's and me trying to get info on the new 15....(No success) I went away feeling ok....well lets see what happens next. The install by the by was NOT as pain free as the video made it out to be....I had to take my drive-shaft down for more room.....I am not a small guy, and my hand were contorted in all kind of weird shapes getting up in there. In the end I got her done.

Now....for the goods. With my MGW set to 5 turns, I went and tested on a few back streets by the college.....I tried and tried to get it to grind...NO GRIND. The shifter feels ROCK SOLID. In gear the stick does not shake like the OEM one....I was hammering the hell out of it and swore I heard it giiggle with *What are you trying to do you girly man ?...* I truly know when I hit a gear under *spirited driving* as the Ford guy put it.....I am hitting that gear !

So there it is. I'll be hitting the track again soon, so we'll see how that goes, but as for now, yeah the MGW shifter is truly a mod worth getting. Yeah it may be $350, but the quality and build of it is far superior than what I seen out of another Shifter(Stee.....) that I help put in my buds 2010GT500. No re-use this, or take this out and put it in this...nope. All new quality stuff.

But heh, I am not saying anything that people with this shifter already do not know.

Well hopefully, a actual TSB will be issued so we can finally get this fixed. I like you have only had it happen a few times, but might as well get it fixed if a repair is available.

Hopefully Ford issues a TSB for this and fixes the problems in the transmission internally. I've had the 1-2 shift problem in my 2010 since it was new on some occasions. I've had it to the dealership with the same response as many of you, "no issue found". This spring I installed a MGW shifter and it does make the 1-2 shift no problem when the engine and transmission are at proper operating temperature. I've notice when the engine and transmission are cold the problems internally in the transmission are amplified by the shifter, especially the 1-2 resistance. Will a current warranty be needed to get the TSB work done if one is issued or will it cover all cars regardless of a valid warranty?

Took the Shelby to the dealer today and told them about missing the 1-2 shift when under hard acceleration. Had a couple other issues under warranty too but main point of the visit was to get them to confirm its either me or the car on missing the shift. They called me late in the day and their resident transmission expert confirmed its the transmission and not me. They are raising the issue up to the regional level. More to follow tomorrow on resolution.

Update: Day 2 (Tuesday): Transmission to be dropped out tomorrow where they are to take measurements and follow guidance of Ford Tech on the replacement parts. Plan will be to put in recommended new parts on Thursday and delivery back to me on Friday.

Took the Shelby to the dealer today and told them about missing the 1-2 shift when under hard acceleration. Had a couple other issues under warranty too but main point of the visit was to get them to confirm its either me or the car on missing the shift. They called me late in the day and their resident transmission expert confirmed its the transmission and not me. They are raising the issue up to the regional level. More to follow tomorrow on resolution.

I'm glad to see that shops (dealers) are now starting to recognize, or admit that there *is* a 1-2 shift problem on some of these cars.

Prior results were rather discouraging.

Phill

Day 4: Didn't receive a call from Ford service technician today. Will follow up tomorrow. Transmission was to have been dropped out yesterday and disassembled today. I gave my advisor a copy of a previous finding from a fellow poster. Earliest I get it back is mid next week. Just hope they find what is wrong.

Those that have installed MGW shifter, did the dealer install without issue? Seems they might not want to do this nor warranty it.

Archived