TEAM SHELBY FORUM

ZL1 Track Days covered under warranty, will Ford do the same?

bpmurr

Coming from Al O himself. Very impressed that GM is willing to support the car like this. It's always the one thing that has bothered me about GT500 ownership. You got this high powered car that you can't really use properly unless your on the track but then it voids the warranty. Hopefully Ford does the same with the 2013 GT500.

Coming from Al O himself. Very impressed that GM is willing to support the car like this. It's always the one thing that has bothered me about GT500 ownership. You got this high powered car that you can't really use properly unless your on the track but then it voids the warranty. Hopefully Ford does the same with the 2013 GT500.

Excuse my ignorance, but how would the manufacturer know if a car was run around the track a few times? I can see heavy track use being clearly detectable, but would a few runs just to open it up be something they can see on the computer? Where's the line that we shouldn't cross?

I've owned a lot of GM performance cars, and have not been nit picked yet. I drag race/autocross/road race all my fun cars, but they are NEVER abused. I over maintain, and I use common sense. When I brake rear gears while running slicks, that one is on my dollar, etc. Karma is a bitch. Anyway, Not only Al, but also Scott Settlemire has posted online that yes, if you are a guy like one of US and do a track day once in a while and something lets go, you will be covered. If you race it every weekend in a racing series, then no. If you just abuse the hell out of the car trying to kill something, then no. Just like on the street.

Compare this to Nissan (I own an Xterra). They built the GT-R, gave it launch control so all the car mags would use it to report super fast times, but told all owners, "If YOU use it, just one time, your warranty will be VOID". If you take it on a track, warranty void. Pure Chicken Shit.

Autoweek had a story where Mitsubishi was using online searches to match up entry lists to SCCA autocrosses to owner databases and voiding powertrain warranties.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20040705/FREE/407050725

Ironically, that same article has THIS to say about Ford and SVT:

One rare exception is track day events organized, sponsored and sanctioned by the national Ford SVT Owners’ Association and local Ford/SVT dealers. Owners bring their cars, and the association and participating dealers agree to cover any mechanical failures brought on by normal track use.

"Owners can participate in the instructional days without automatically voiding their warranties," says Ford Performance Vehicles spokesman Alan Hall. "Obviously if they abuse it [the car] on the track, or there’s a part that breaks due to aggressive driving, that will not be covered under warranty. But your warranty will not be voided across the board by just participating in that event. We don’t automatically void a warranty unless above-normal abuse is shown on a vehicle."

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20040705/FREE/407050725/#ixzz1o1nrA1M5

Archived