TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Burning Rubber Smell, need some ideas

Hi guys. My car has a burning rubber smell that I can notice with the windows up and the recirculate air button pushed, though I only notice it when I slow down or stop. I first noticed it this morning pulling into work. Thought it was the truck in front of me. Noticed it again backing into the garage when I got home. The smell filled the garage. Like hot rubber or melted plastic. Seems to be external. I opened the hood and my nose told me it wasn't coming from the engine compartment. Stuck my face right in there, and smelled nothing. Hoses and rubber parts look ok. Did a quick visual on each brake, and saw nothing unusual. I do not remember it handling oddly either, but we had some killer wind today, so maybe I wouldn't have noticed. Tried to look under the car, but you know how low it sits, and I saw nothing funny at all, using just a work light. I'm a little mechanically inclined, but I'm no mechanic. I'm concerned to continue driving the car, so I need some ideas. Where to look? What to look for? Suggestions? When should I break down and take it in? I hate our local Ford Dealers and haven't found a local independent shop that I trust yet. Maybe I'll have to. Thanks for your input.

Hi guys. My car has a burning rubber smell that I can notice with the windows up and the recirculate air button pushed, though I only notice it when I slow down or stop. I first noticed it this morning pulling into work. Thought it was the truck in front of me. Noticed it again backing into the garage when I got home. The smell filled the garage. Like hot rubber or melted plastic. Seems to be external. I opened the hood and my nose told me it wasn't coming from the engine compartment. Stuck my face right in there, and smelled nothing. Hoses and rubber parts look ok. Did a quick visual on each brake, and saw nothing unusual. I do not remember it handling oddly either, but we had some killer wind today, so maybe I wouldn't have noticed. Tried to look under the car, but you know how low it sits, and I saw nothing funny at all, using just a work light. I'm a little mechanically inclined, but I'm no mechanic. I'm concerned to continue driving the car, so I need some ideas. Where to look? What to look for? Suggestions? When should I break down and take it in? I hate our local Ford Dealers and haven't found a local independent shop that I trust yet. Maybe I'll have to. Thanks for your input.

Breakdown and take it to a shop or dealer its possible a plastic bag can cause that problem on the exhaust

An organic clutch? Didn't know they existed. Hope that's not a "green" thing. I don't think it's the original. The dealer repaired the transmission with the grinding 3rd gear TSB back in early '09. They had it a month because the mechanic was so particular about how it shifted. He says he rebuilt/reinstalled it several times. Wasn't aware that Ford just let them play with stuff that long. I haven't noticed the clutch acting funny, but I'll keep that issue in mind. Supposed to have a snow shower tomorrow, so will drive my truck to work. Maybe drive the Shelby around the block a few times to check it out again. I would think a plastic bag would be burned up pretty quickly. This smell seems "bigger". Worth checking out, though. Thanks!

The first thing I would do is examine the exhaust fully from heads to muffler to make certain that nothing is touching.

I don't think he should do that if he says he is not mechincally inclined !! Unless he has proper jack stands and a safe jack to lift the car.

Thanks for considering my safety, RacerX. I do have a good floor jack and stands, if it comes to that. I don't get much opportunity for performance driving. Mostly side streets with traffic. I sure wasn't out trying to burn rubber, no pun intended, and I don't tend to ride the clutch. I'll check underneath again, maybe take it for a quick spin. Maybe just let it sit and warm up in the driveway. If it smells, it isn't the clutch, if I aint even moving, right? Didn't drive it today. Will let ya know when I find something. Thanks again!

I don't think he should do that if he says he is not mechincally inclined !! Unless he has proper jack stands and a safe jack to lift the car.

Of course, safety comes first and goes w/out saying and no implication was made otherwise. He did state that he was a little mechanically inclined.

I'm wondering if something has become loose and is close to (or touching) one of the cat converters, and I'm thinking that it needs to go on a lift to be examined properly.

Parking brake not fully disengaged will smell like that.

I agree with this as a possible solution. I know, it's not very likely. However, I had a friend who had the same circumstance occur with his car; in this case it was in fact a parking brake malfunction.

Since you are noticing this through the vents is there any chance this is an electrical burning smell rather than burning rubber? You could have a short with the insulation of the wiring burning off.

Good point on that thought !!! I always look over my cars electrical system one bad wire can cause havoc on the pockets.

Of course, safety comes first and goes w/out saying and no implication was made otherwise. He did state that he was a little mechanically inclined.

I'm wondering if something has become loose and is close to (or touching) one of the cat converters, and I'm thinking that it needs to go on a lift to be examined properly.

Actually you guys know my track record on safety which brings me to saying my new safety lesson. Never wear a wired stereo headset while you buff out your car with a high speed buffer. I will leave it to your imagination but it was painful

Yes, the smell could be hot wiring. I pulled it out into the driveway this evening, and let it get completely warmed up without any movement in the transmission. I just barely noticed the smell. Extremely faint. Nothing like the overpowering smell I noticed yesterday. I couldn't notice it under the car at all, but just caught really faint whiffs in the engine compartment and inside the car. Then I took it for a ride around the block a few times and came home. Same thing, very faint inside and under the hood, but nothing like yesterday. I'm going to try driving tomorrow. Supposed to be a pretty day. I'll take the dealer's number with me in case I smell it strongly again. Was reading the manual. Drivetrain has 5/60 warranty on it. Didn't see it specifically, but it suggested that the clutch wasn't covered. Do I have that right? I've only got 21k miles on it.

Yes, the smell could be hot wiring. I pulled it out into the driveway this evening, and let it get completely warmed up without any movement in the transmission. I just barely noticed the smell. Extremely faint. Nothing like the overpowering smell I noticed yesterday. I couldn't notice it under the car at all, but just caught really faint whiffs in the engine compartment and inside the car. Then I took it for a ride around the block a few times and came home. Same thing, very faint inside and under the hood, but nothing like yesterday. I'm going to try driving tomorrow. Supposed to be a pretty day. I'll take the dealer's number with me in case I smell it strongly again. Was reading the manual. Drivetrain has 5/60 warranty on it. Didn't see it specifically, but it suggested that the clutch wasn't covered. Do I have that right? I've only got 21k miles on it.

Take a fire extingusher and socket to disconnect battery those 2 should always be with you in a kit.

I get an occasional whiff of ozone (usually associated with electrical arcing) at the end of a fully-warmed-up drive in my coupe. Once I made the drive end at a dealer, but none of the service guys could smell it. It doesn't happen with any pattern or regularity I can determine. I just keep my Auto Club card handy.

First noticed it after treating the underhood rubber products with Turtle Wax ICE (works good!), but that was years ago, and can't possibly be the explanation now, can it?

Drivetrain has 5/60 warranty on it. Didn't see it specifically, but it suggested that the clutch wasn't covered. Do I have that right? I've only got 21k miles on it.

If the clutch is the problem, if Ford covers it under warranty you'll be lucky. Typically clutches are not covered. They did, however, cover mine, but it was a problem w/in 2 weeks after I bought my car.

I had the rear pads hanging up a little bit on mine and it caused a similar smell, but it turned the rotors bluish almost immediately. The dealer repaired it and then it did it again. They repaired it a second time under warranty but charged me this time for the pads (which is a little stupid even though they are considered a "wear item". I went along, but probably shouldn't have.

I have run over a plastic bag in my 55 Bel Air and it actually melted to one of the headers almost instantly creating a stink that hung around every time I drove the car for a LONG time. Even after I climbed under the car upon returning home and tried to pick away what I could, that stuff just sort of has to burn off at that point.

I had the rear pads hanging up a little bit on mine and it caused a similar smell, but it turned the rotors bluish almost immediately. The dealer repaired it and then it did it again. They repaired it a second time under warranty but charged me this time for the pads (which is a little stupid even though they are considered a "wear item". I went along, but probably shouldn't have.

I have run over a plastic bag in my 55 Bel Air and it actually melted to one of the headers almost instantly creating a stink that hung around every time I drove the car for a LONG time. Even after I climbed under the car upon returning home and tried to pick away what I could, that stuff just sort of has to burn off at that point.

I see a plastic bag in the roadway and its combat driving mode !!! I hate that smell a major pain in the butt

Car is not undercoated. I've been driving it the last several days, and the odor has pretty much disappeared. I occasionally get the tiniest whiff for just a second, then it's gone. Nothing like the overpowering smell that originally filled my garage. I'm keeping an eye (nose?) on it, but it seems to have resolved itself, so maybe the plastic bag on the exhaust theory could have been true, even though I never saw anything. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. Hopefully this will be the end of it, without a trip to a professional. Thanks.

it even could have been some tar from the roadway on the exhaust. So figure you pull into your garage the smell is heated so its looking to go up. From the tunnel up into the engine compartment and if the tar was more to the back it would get trapped and the smell would be hanging around longer.

Archived