TEAM SHELBY FORUM

info needed on dropping the rear

olaf427

Well guys I finally found my 2009 white Shelby convertible and it's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now for my first mod I would like to drop the rear of the car so it sits even with the front. I have searched this subject and have found several vague answers but nothing direct. Whats the best way to achieve this? Thanks Olaf

Just did my 09' this past weekend. Roush spring part # 401295. Used an adjustable panhard bar and panhard bar brace from UPR Products. Both are really nice chrome moly pieces. I bought the springs from Summit Racing.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-pro-series-adjustable-pan-hard-bar-05.html

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-pan-hard-brace-05.html

thank you for the links. Since I'm new to this pardon my questions, is the reason your changing out the two bars because when the back of the car drops it changes the pinion angle of the rear? If so how do you make sure the panbar is adjusted correctly after the drop? Thanks for your help. Olaf

thank you for the links. Since I'm new to this pardon my questions, is the reason your changing out the two bars because when the back of the car drops it changes the pinion angle of the rear? If so how do you make sure the panbar is adjusted correctly after the drop? Thanks for your help. Olaf

In a rear suspension set up like the mustang, as the suspension compresses, (or you lower it's static height through different springs) the axle will move left in relation to the chassis. The panhard bar is attached to the body on the right, axle on the left.. body drops, axle shifts left. After lowering, depending on how much it’s lowered, and where in the allowable tolerances the car was sent off the assembly line with.. the axle will almost always be off set to the left.. And adjustable panhard par is used to correct this and re center the axle.

The brace is added, to better support the chassis mounting location, which can flex under hard loads.

A few years ago I installed the frpp lowering springs (back only), and the rear end ended up moving over about 5mm.

You can tape some string with a weight on the end (home made plumb bob) onto the outer wheel wells, and measure from the plumb string to the wheel or tire to determine how much it is off center.

I installed an adjustable panhard bar, and that allowed me to center the rear axle again.

• 1 year later...

If you drop the back an inch or two, the rear axle won't hardly move over much at all. Problem is it isn't centered to start with, so when you lower it will be more noticeable and you will want to get it perfect. Adj Panhard does that.

That is a beautiful color combination, I hope you got wise rears on that show car

Archived