TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Unsold '11 & '12 Convertibles

melford

Hey guys, I'm really feeling torn at this point whether to buy the 2013 or look for a screaming deal on a 2011 or 2012 convertible growing dust on a dealers lot.

I've seen on here that the 'vert production numbers are MUCH lower than the coupes...that's why i'm wondering how many may be left when the '13's come out and everyone is salivating for one.

Pros for the 2013 are obvious, but then again I've seen a bunch of guys say they think there will be a $10K + price bump.

Excuse a total newbie question that's prob been asked on here a million times... How much can I do to a new GT 500 without voiding the warranty? If they install a whipple at the dealership am I sh!t outta luck on the warranty?

Obviously the 100 more ponies and 90 more lb/ft of twist are the evil that is drawing me towards the 2013...but can I get a 2012 there with a warranty and save a fat chunk 'o cash???

Again, my apologies for the total noob line of questioning, but you guys are the pros and I want the straight scoop.

Thanks- Melford

Trust me you'll be happy waiting on a 2013 instead of settling on something less than you want. You can't keep the manufacturer warranty by having a whipple put on at the dealership but the dealership itself may warranty the work.

The 2013 isn't just 100 more horse, it is a much more balanced car from the carbonfiber driveshaft to the improved intercooler to the improved engine internals, gearing, and transmission internals. Really just watch these two videos and ask yourself if you want to settle for less.

Car:

Engine:

Depending on how patient you are I guarantee you'll be able to get a 2013 convertible at MSRP at very least, if not a few thousand off. Convertibles have more profit for a dealership than coupes, and depending on how you option it there is plenty of room for a dealership to make $$$ by giving you a break from MSRP. There will be 13's sitting on showroom floors just like 11s and 12s.

Thanks Ezareth - you keep dragging me to the darkside!!!

I'm like a little kid about this 2013-hopping on forums, buying magazines...my wife is getting a kick out of it!

Honestly the decision is made if there's nothing I can do to boost a 2012 without voiding the warranty.

I'm one of those guys that been dreaming of owning a 650hp Droptop for 25 yrs (seriously, since high school)...now to get it with a warranty, wohoo!

Thanks again, Melford

Thanks Ezareth - you keep dragging me to the darkside!!!

I'm like a little kid about this 2013-hopping on forums, buying magazines...my wife is getting a kick out of it!

Honestly the decision is made if there's nothing I can do to boost a 2012 without voiding the warranty.

I'm one of those guys that been dreaming of owning a 650hp Droptop for 25 yrs (seriously, since high school)...now to get it with a warranty, wohoo!

Thanks again, Melford

If I lived in a state where my convertible was able to be driven for more than 80 days out of the year I wouldn't hesitate selling her and taking the plunge on a '13. If you are going to toss away a large chunk of cash on a dream, you had better not do it with ANY regrets or you'll never be able to forget it and it will ruin the whole experience. Go all the way if you can afford it!

Like Melford, several months ago I could not believe my eyes that I could have a 650 HP convertible that is world class in so many ways (for less than $120K?) without extensive mods. I have modded every vehicle I have ever have had, including a Hayabusa. Finally, a manufacturer, and an American one at that, is offering a no holds barred over the top beast, right off the showroom floor.

Who cares if this may not be the ultimate peak in factory HP. I have studied the financial markets and the accompanying social phenomena going back to when automobiles were invented. This is a Duesenberg man. Get one.

I'm a Floridian which means a convertible can literally be a daily driver. I have a GT convertible now and the top is up so seldom, I barely remember what color it is, hahahah!

i'm sold, now I just have to be patient and wait for the guys who "have to have the first one" to get thru screwing up the prices.

Any guess when I'll be able to buy one at a "reasonable" price? Hopefully within a 1000 miles of Sarasota Florida?

I too was stuck between whether to get the 2013 vs 2010 through 2012 model. After seeing the huge discount I could get on a 12, I could not pass it up. I would of sold my Supra to get the 13. Now I can keep it along with my Shelby and have money left over to mod both. That was enough for me to go for the 12 over the 13 and I am as happy as can be. If money isn't a factor, then absolutely go with the 13. Can't beat 650 horses under warranty plus the nice suspension upgrades.

I'm a Floridian which means a convertible can literally be a daily driver. I have a GT convertible now and the top is up so seldom, I barely remember what color it is, hahahah!

i'm sold, now I just have to be patient and wait for the guys who "have to have the first one" to get thru screwing up the prices.

Any guess when I'll be able to buy one at a "reasonable" price? Hopefully within a 1000 miles of Sarasota Florida?

Were I in your shoes I'd wait on on pricing and decide what options you wanted, work out the MSRP. Usually within a couple weeks of releasing public pricing the invoice pricing will get leaked by some as well as the holdback. When I went in to make a deal with my dealer I had a paper that showed MSRP, and invoice on everything as well as dealer profit. I decided on a minimum that I had to have off and wouldn't go back. Several dealers I spoke with wouldn't even touch anything under MSRP so I thanked them for their time and left. Your best bet at getting good pricing is finding a decent-sized dealership with their SVT license (they pay 2K every year to certify and be able to sell them). These dealerships typically get 2 cars or more a year and they don't want to two of them sitting on their lot.

The second "wave" of orders is when you typically (but not always) find the best deals. When I thought I had a steal at $3500 off MSRP in May a couple of weeks later someone got one at invoice. Just don't think of settling for more than you want to pay without talking to EVERY dealer on the phone that is within your range. I almost bought mine from a dealer in Wisconsin about 10 hours away when I found one that would take the same deal 3 hours away.

Also if you call within a week of them releasing pricing they're going to know you're dying to get one and probably will be less inclined to deal with you. I had a couple dealers trying to tell me "ohh the pricing just came out I'm not sure what it is" two months after it was released!

You really just have to ask you is a few thousand dollars worth waiting for a few more months? For me I knew if I waited until November I'd get a much better deal for mine but since I live in Ohio it would have went from the dealership straight to storage.

Ohh and don't feel bad for posting 2013 stuff here. I think it is kind of lame that they separate the forums every couple model years. It isn't like these forums are bursting with posts every day. Consolidating all of the GT500 posts would be nice and would avoid a lot of repeat posts on various things Shelby.

For me I could chase HP figures forever it's the name of the game. HP is great but it doesn't mean it's useable as we already know. Every car maker is going to 1 up the other. 2013 it's 650hp what's 2014 going to bring and by what company. For me $51000.00 for a loaded 2012 was a good buy, who knows future will hold? if it's like most things I get bored and buy something different from brand X. If you want the largest horsepower of 2013 by ford then wait, if you want the FASTEST car under $100,000.00 you have choices.

For me I could chase HP figures forever it's the name of the game. HP is great but it doesn't mean it's useable as we already know.

I was going to make a similar point (though I'm a GT500 n00b as well, so take it for what it's worth). The '10-'12 GT500 already has issues making getting its 500-550HP to the ground, so while 650 is a glorious number to speak in reference to one's car, as a practical matter it may not set the car that far apart from its slightly older brethren.

As I understand it, you can get 40-50HP out of the '10-'12 engines with just a pulley swap and a tune (about $700 including the handheld tuner). On a '12 that gets you into the 600HP (flywheel) range. So long as you get the stock-look pulley, that leaves you with two options when a problem arises: leave the mods on the car and assume the dealer isn't going to measure the diameter of the pulley, or swap back to the stock pulley and tune before going to the shop.

As for the other '13 improvements - what would you be able to buy with the $10K-ish that you save by getting an '11 or '12? I'm talking driveshafts, intercoolers, and so on - things that are less likely to void the warranty.

I'm sorta glad I hadn't yet heard all the press about the 2013 when I went shopping for a '12 - I'd be in the same boat you're in right now! What to do, what to do? :headscratch:

If your not impatient and want the best of the best wait and buy the 2013, gives you the bragging rights and mine is bigger than yours. Depends whats important to you, you know one thing for sure though it wont be long and it like everything else it will be replaced with bigger and better.

While I would love to have a 2013 I'm quite happy with my 2011. I bought it used with only 320 miles and $10k less than it stickered for...I've got warranty from bumper to bumper for 60 miles so, I'll run worry free with 550HP that like someone else said can barely be put to the ground. I've played the mod game and the buy one every two years to keep up.. It gets old after awhile and I've blown ALOT of money doing it.... So not sure what I'd do but, i guess if money is no object and you can wait..wait. If not I dont think you would be disappointed with a 2012 and some extra cash in your hand!

That said....I'm tempted to switch out my front grill and splitter to the 2013 one. That looks pretty cool!

Honestly, I think I'll make the final call when the '13's hit the lot.

I'll drive both and decide if the extra loot is REALLY worth it.

Getting a "lightly" used '11 or '12 for $20ish K less would certainly make my wife happy... Which you guys know makes EVERYONE happy!!!

Archived