TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Battery Shutoff Switch

Wow. No power outlets? Seems that may be a weekend project. However, I do have a battery disconnect on the F-250. It's mainly a tow vehicle, which is why I installed it. Factory alarms and modern electronics are notorious for drawing current even when parked. It takes about a minute for the truck to make a few adjustments, but runs fine after that.

• 2 weeks later...

I am certainly not trying to be smart-aleck, but if you are looking to keep the battery from draining why not use a heavy duty outdoor extension cord to the garage/barn and use a trickle charger. Keeping a battery fully charged constantly will maintain the battery much longer than a disconnect. I was also wondering if you were trying to develop some type of auto theft deterrent but if it is only to keep the battery from draining then the trickle charger is the best.

I am certainly not trying to be smart-aleck, but if you are looking to keep the battery from draining why not use a heavy duty outdoor extension cord to the garage/barn and use a trickle charger. Keeping a battery fully charged constantly will maintain the battery much longer than a disconnect. I was also wondering if you were trying to develop some type of auto theft deterrent but if it is only to keep the battery from draining then the trickle charger is the best.

I live in an apartment, so there's no way to use an extension cord unless I want to put one out my balcony and about 800 ft across the parking lot. Landlord probably wouldn't appreciate that. I am moving in a couple months so hopefully my next place will have a garage with outlets or I will probably install them if I end up buying instead of renting.

It is going to reset the ECU and some radio functions every time you disconnect it. I use a trickle chargers instead

You used to be able to buy a "battery back-up" that used a 9v transistor battery and a cigarette plug to keep the memories alive in cars when we disconnected the battery. It was for short term use and I've never tried to see how long a 9v batt. would last but I suppose if you got a small 12v motorcycle battery you could do the same thing with it. Put it in a plastic tub with wires leading up to the ciggie lighter and disconnect the main battery for as long as it takes to drain a MC battery.

Just a thought,

Phill

Archived