TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Corrosion

Blotto

I have a 2008 GT500, performance white with ebony stripes. My baby's got 16,000 miles and it's been garaged everyday. About a month ago I noticed that the paint had some tiny bubbling on top just at the back edge. Looked almost like a minor contaminate (maybe small bits of dust) under the paint. Today I found more on the front edge. Lifted the hood and found plenty of the same all along the under side edges. One of the spots, about the size of a quarter, flaked off. I'm looking at pure aluminum oxide! I'm pissed. Now before anyone tells me that I should by a Venum/SS hood (and I might), I would like to keep all the parts that make it original. I know the 5/60 warranty says that the corrosion has to be through the panel, but at that point the hood could be toast. Aluminum isn't just like steel. Anyone have this issue yet? Before I go and start the battle at my dealer, I would love to have some backup. Still have 14 months to go under warranty.

I was in the same boat as you, I had the same issue with my hood and wanted to keep the original look. I had the same issue on the outside and under the hood along the crease. It is covered under warrenty so bring it in. I went to the dealership with a bunch of copies from the internet and didn't even need it.

Here are some links.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/56713-hood-corrosion/

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/95583-2005-mustang-hood-paint-bubbling.html

photo-3.jpg

I will be going to the dealership this week and will let you all know how it turns out. I'm sure the salt air here has a lot to do with it. I have an old chevy crank (from my old days, I've learned since then) in my backyard that got so badly rusted from just the rain that it snapped in half. I would hate to have to store my 500 in a air tight bag every time I take it out.

The salt is a huuuuge killer. The salt can essentially begin degredation with slow bonding to the metal (veeery slow) and tearing off microscopic sized peiced of metal. Same thing happens to concrete driveways in the winter around areas that have salt constantly on the roads.

In fact, my car has a slight corrosion identical to yours above the back driver side tire. Luckily, it is very small (was the last owner when it occured) but I still wish I could fix it.

• 8 months later...

Just reading this post. Apparently there is a Ford TSB about aluminum corroding due to contaminants in the metal prior to painting. Many Mustangs involved. Ive found dozens of threads on other sites about this.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/aluminum-hood-oxidation.838384/

http://www.stangnet.com/images/stories/docs/s197_TSBs/06-25-15.pdf

My hood had to be repainted (2 in long 1/4 in wide dent from a 5mph crash caused that) and when it was removed they found that the underside of the aluminum hood was corroding. The insurance company would not pay for that so I had to kick in an extra $200. (By the way my 5mph accident cost over $15k to fix!!! :drop: )

Anyway the other major point here is that I live about 200 yards, uphill, from the ocean near Half Moon Bay. I had an old Pontiac, 79, that sat outside for 2 years and when I had it towed away the entire body collapsed unto the frame and they had to take it away in several rusted-out pieces. My 2007 GT500 SVT#12 is in a car tent and that has really seemed to help with the rust problem. Since mine is #12 in the entire production run it will be a great test for corrosion resistance. So far the hood was the only problem and we only noticed that when the padding under the hood was removed. (By the way the car tent is being replaced this weekend, because of rusted galvanized poles and ripped tarp, after 7 years and two mustangs called it home.)

I have been under my GT500 many times and there is rust on some of the exposed/non-painted metal surfaces but it appears to be mostly cosmetic.

So until something falls off due to rust I would say the corrosion resistance is quite good on these cars....My third clutch (RXT McLeod this time) is another story as after 8K miles is has started slipping...SIGH.. :banghead: .

Best "Close to the Ocean and Tons of Salt Air" Regards,

Mark / MSB Mustang

PS - I'll bet that Grabber has no rust at all on the underside of both of his GT500's!...and I am also certain I have more miles on mine then are on both his and Mrs. Grabber's GT500's added together. Wonder if anyone wants to buy SVT#12 before it rusts away? Someone told me once that Edsel Ford received SVT#7 when they first came out? Not sure if that is true or not?

Mark,

I was amazed that James Ford left their new 2009 KR on a display stand near Hwy 1 exposed to the salty HMB weather for months on end. Last time I saw it, it was showing significant pitting and rust damage on many parts, except the Plasan hood...

• 4 months later...

I brought in my Shelby on Tuesday for a slight corrision problem, about the size of a quarter. The body shop took a photo sent it back to FORD and the response this morning to fix it is to replace the hood with a new one. I was surprised they were replacing the entire hood. I suspect they found other deteoriating areas.... It's always garaged with a cover on it, don't drive it in rain, but I guess they have been having issues with them. I just hope the paint matches and the fit is perfect like it is now....

We have an 09 Ford Flex that started rusting on the lower edge of the drivers door within 6 months of owning it so we took it into the Ford dealer and they repaired it and now 1.5 years later the rust has come back and is worse than ever I would guess another 3 years and the entire bottom edge of the door will be rusted through. I plan on contacting Ford directly about this.

Archived