TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Camshaft recommendation

I know this has been beat to death but I'd appriciate your input. I'm looking for personal experencies between the Hot Rod and Comp Mutha Thumpa cam or anyother cams you have used.sucessfully. My warranty expires soon and I'm ready to do this.

I don't have any near future plans to add the supercharger but I did add the 4.10 gears.

I'm not really sure how much help I will be in making a decision, but here it goes. I have the Hot Rod cams because I had heard them before and then couldn't live without them. I also chose the Hot Rods because they were a Ford Racing part (I always feel better when I know it's a ford part - in some form - in the car). I can't really refute not getting the Thumprs, I haven't heard anything bad about them. Personally I'd go with the Hot Rods because of personal preference and because I've never had a problem with Ford Racing when I've purchased a defective part, but if you're looking for the "cheaper" part the Thumprs are $80 less. That wasn't enough to sway me away from the Hot Rods, but if that's a factor then I see no problem going with them. Good luck with your decision!

I have the Hot Rod cams. Love the sound. Now when I first put them in, I actually lost quite a bit of time in the quarter mile, but gained a ton of top end speed. So on an automatic car, it takes a bit too much bottom end torque for me. Gained really nice on the top, but lost quite a bit on the bottom. With a 5 speed car, it wouldn't be nearly as noticable. They are probably hurting me more now that I'm supercharged, but hoping with the new gears, throttle body, converter, 2.6 pulley, and a few other things that a good local tune will get the most out of them as possible. Heck, I'd happily give up some bottom end to keep the sound of the cams. They are awesome! Hopefully with the new changes, I should have plenty of bottom end now. I've heard a couple cars with the mutha thumpers also and they sound amazing. One reason I stayed with the Hot Rods is the fact of not needing to change springs, or the cam phazer limiters. It really depends on what you are looking to get out of them.

I also went with the Hot Rod cams, like jeff said they are designed to work with the stock springs and cam phazers. I also agree with JT93 and felt better putting something made by ford racing in my engine then someone else's parts. As far as losing bottom end, If your running 4:10's now then you won'tt even notice it. I noticed a slight drop in the bottom end with the 3:55's but like you I'm upgradeing to 4:10's over the summer.

Jeff

I also went with the Hot Rod cams, like jeff said they are designed to work with the stock springs and cam phazers. I also agree with JT93 and felt better putting something made by ford racing in my engine then someone else's parts. As far as losing bottom end, If your running 4:10's now then you won'tt even notice it. I noticed a slight drop in the bottom end with the 3:55's but like you I'm upgradeing to 4:10's over the summer.

Jeff

Was their a specfic part number you used?

I got mine from American Muscle over the summer with the new cam phaser bolts and did the install with a friend. It looks like AM's price went up on the cams though cause I didn't pay that much. I don't remember the exact price then since I got the Ford racing valvle covers at the same time. I figured theere going to be off anyway might as well swap em now. It think it all came to $1000 for cams, phaser bolts and the new valve covers. Like Andrew posted above looks like Late model might have the best deal right now.

Keep us posted on what you decide. Either way I'm sure you'll love the sound and the rocking of the car.

Jeff

personaly i feel the mutha thumprs are a more powerful cam. i have them and love them to death but they arnt without there downside. they dont create much vacuum so powering the brakes at idle is a problem. i have a aux vacuum tank on mine and it helps alot. since i road race mine i do need more vacuum though. im going to be installing a vacuum pump in a few weeks after i get my car running again. honesty though the way they sound is just amazing.

personaly i feel the mutha thumprs are a more powerful cam. i have them and love them to death but they arnt without there downside. they dont create much vacuum so powering the brakes at idle is a problem. i have a aux vacuum tank on mine and it helps alot. since i road race mine i do need more vacuum though. im going to be installing a vacuum pump in a few weeks after i get my car running again. honesty though the way they sound is just amazing.

Hotrod cams sound like a hotrod of the old days !!!

Archived