TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Learned a lesson about driving in 40 degree weather, got VERY Lucky at the same time...............

William Rodgers

I was driving the Shelby around to put some miles on it, the weather is outstanding for February in New England. I pulled up to a light and a Challenger SRT pulled behind me. I took off regular and then when I hit 2nd I nailed it a little bit (Maybe more than a little), those tires were like they were on ice, Traction control kicked in for less than a second and then the car started going sideways. I ended up going into on coming traffic (thankfully no cars coming), just about hitting the curb on the other side of the road, then reacted to much and with in seconds I was heading towards the curb on my side of the road. Finally I got control.

Lesson learned for me, guy in the Challenger was probably laughing his ass off.

How I didn't wreck is just luck, honestly I absolutely should have.

Figured maybe my story would save someone else even if it does make me look like an ass.

I was driving the Shelby around to put some miles on it, the weather is outstanding for February in New England. I pulled up to a light and a Challenger SRT pulled behind me. I took off regular and then when I hit 2nd I nailed it a little bit (Maybe more than a little), those tires were like they were on ice, Traction control kicked in for less than a second and then the car started going sideways. I ended up going into on coming traffic (thankfully no cars coming), just about hitting the curb on the other side of the road, then reacted to much and with in seconds I was heading towards the curb on my side of the road. Finally I got control.

Lesson learned for me, guy in the Challenger was probably laughing his ass off.

How I didn't wreck is just luck, honestly I absolutely should have.

Figured maybe my story would save someone else even if it does make me look like an ass.

Good save. Been there..done that. Like you, I've learned. :rockon:

When I picked my car up from Tasca after the SC upgrade I had a similar experience. I was getting on the highway from an onramp. I was in 3rd gear. I gave it too much throttle and the car started to go sideways. I am still AMAZED at the power and torque you get from a supercharger.

Gosh, this thread scared me. I am glad you are okay.

Thank you, it is hard to explain how fast it happened, I let off the gas, but the thing was already out of control, I did not hit the brake, I have always been told not to in these situations. All I did was try to get control back and try to miss hitting the curb. Glad I did not hurt anyone else.

This is a common lesson to be learned with the factory Goodyears. I had a similar exchange of front to rear with both my Shelby GT/Sc and the Cobra. When I got my Ford GT I didn't even think about it - I swapped the Goodyear tires for sticky Bridgestones.

For the record, we're glad nothing bad happened but remember these cars come with a note about low temperatures. They mean it.

...I let off the gas, but the thing was already out of control, I did not hit the brake,

The phenomenon is known as a "lift off" event, or also known as (de)compression braking which results in oversteer. Another name is trailing throttle oversteer. Been there, done that. The Shelby GT/SC did it, but I could create it at will with the Cobra - just downshift from 3rd to 2nd to make a 90* left turn on cold pavement or on wet pavement.

Wow; scary thought. I'd have a heart rate over 300 by the end of that.

With a v6, the road is a little more forgiving, but I lose traction just the same as everyone else, but have to say: any pointers would be appriciated.

Also, who knows anything about the tire company 'Nexen'.

These were the tires that came with my car, and while I've seen good reviews online, they worry me a little as being low tier.

Once again, glad to see this isn't a junk yard story. I'm sure your driving skills were what saved you.

Yep had the GT500 out today temp was about 39 nailed it in 2nd and it started fish tailing, trick is not to oversteer and back off the gas half way and it will work out ok, and your right not to hit the brakes. Glad all is ok with you...dont fear the beast work with it.......

Are you still running the factory BF Goodrich tires? If not which tires?

No I have Nitto, but I think any High Performance tire would have done the same. I guess it just seemed Warm to me, in reality it was not. Not to mention the car had only been driven 5 miles or so prior so they were cold as can be.

I have to say these cars are seriously gorilla's and the wheel spin is out of control. You really have to feel the car to drive it right and I have read to many posts you have made....it was just one of those things that happened and thankfully you got it right at the last second.

Wow.

PS: Just got my car back from paint and new 20" Black with machined face CS40's (yes again)......it looks wet just standing there in the garage. Drool.

OK, Back on topic.

I have to say these cars are seriously gorilla's and the wheel spin is out of control. You really have to feel the car to drive it right and I have read to many posts you have made....it was just one of those things that happened and thankfully you got it right at the last second.

Wow.

PS: Just got my car back from paint and new 20" Black with machined face CS40's (yes again)......it looks wet just standing there in the garage. Drool.

OK, Back on topic.

Any pictures of car and wheels?

John Walker (former director of sales of SAI) once told me (before my SGT/SC was shipped to me from SAI)" If you bury your foot in it in 2nd geer, make sure there is nothing in front of you, nothing in back of you, and nothing on the sides because it is going to want to rip the tires off the rims"

John was right.

Hmmm maybe its actually a good thing that I can't plunk down the money for a GT/SC!!

I had a somewhat similar situation years ago w/ my then new 1986 RX-7. I went around a circular exit ramp a little too quickly in cold weather and spun around and ended up sideways in the middle of the one-lane-wide ramp. Fortunately, no one was behind me. That's when I learned my lesson about cold weather traction. I also learned a lot about lack of traction when I SCCA raced in the rain!

Glad to hear all turned out well Carnut!

Supercharger creates a whole new beast! Supercharger + cold weather + summer tires (Nitto 555) = ANOTHER new beast! Plenty of extra power available with cold, dense air - I'm amazed how quickly the rear end breaks loose in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and beyond!

Good lesson for all, glad you and your SGT weren't injured! (except for your pride!)

Sam

No I have Nitto, but I think any High Performance tire would have done the same. I guess it just seemed Warm to me, in reality it was not. Not to mention the car had only been driven 5 miles or so prior so they were cold as can be.

Cold tires will make you a believer real quick like....Glad you and your car are OK. These things are beasts. I was initially running the SGT brakes and had a guy cut smack in front of me from slow lane to fast lane (no turn signal, nothing) as I was getting on it and man I thought for a second I might rear end him trying to get that thing slowed down. These cars are truly amazing vehicles...Cheers!

In a situation like that I might have just done that. I replaced my calipers and brake pads in the front, but the back needs work. That, and these Nexen tires are somewhat a mystery, but from the people I've asked they aren't anything to trust in an all out 'smashing the brakes' stop. So much work to do over the summer.

To think that's only a v6, and not a high horsepower v6. You guys are lucky (and skilled) to have not had anything bad happen. Wow.

NHRA Pro Stock guys have a phrase for this (when a car gets "squirrelly"): "PUSH IN THE CLUTCH". GAME OVER.

As a lifetime New Englander, I know how it feels. You are now a pawn in an ice hockey game.

Jer

imagine how bad that could be for someone that has a SC and a built engine with lots more HP. Mine's not a GT/SC yet but it will be in a couple of months after I get it to Tasca. I appreciate the story. BTW - what ever happend to John Walker? He was always great to me when I was dealing with him.

Cold tires will make you a believer real quick like....Glad you and your car are OK. These things are beasts. I was initially running the SGT brakes and had a guy cut smack in front of me from slow lane to fast lane (no turn signal, nothing) as I was getting on it and man I thought for a second I might rear end him trying to get that thing slowed down. These cars are truly amazing vehicles...Cheers!

Thank you, this was one of the first times I nailed second like I did. I have done it in 3rd many times, thankfully I was only in 2nd so the car was not going as fast, if I was in 3rd it would not have ended the way it did.

Agreed these are Amazing Vehicles, honestly I do not know what people do with more power than this??? I get it if you go to the the strip, but other than that what does having 700-800 HP do besides spin tires?

Wow.

PS: Just got my car back from paint and inew 20" Black with machined face CS40's (yes again)......it looks wet just standing there in the garage. Drool.

OK, Back on topic.

Archived