TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I must be one of the lucky ones

Ron

I must be one of the lucky ones. I have a Shelby GT-500. Just a few years after I graduated from high school, the Shelby Mustang hit the road. I wanted a 67 GT-350 so bad, but I was lucky to have enough money to buy gas for my "56" Pontiac. But I had a car, I was one of the lucky ones. When I got serious about buying a 67 Shelby I found it impossible to come up with the $25,000, but with two kids, a great wife, and a house, I was one of the lucky ones. When I found out in March 05 that the Shelbys were coming, I signed up for one. Not to be first. Just to be sure that I didn't miss the boat again. While some are complaining about ADM,s wheel hop, production numbers, GT500KRs, future value etc. etc. etc. I am enjoying mine!!!! I have waited 40 years for a Shelby. I,m not going to worry what's around the corner for muscle cars or Mustangs. Hell, we don't know what's around the corner for any of us! There is nothing Ford or Shelby can build that will make me like my car less. Sure there will be cars coming that I will like, but my GT500 will always be in my garage. I'm one of the lucky ones!

Yes. You are right. The one's who are carping are SPOILED BRATS. And I mean it.

Spot on. It couldn't be stated any better. Many of us were and are on the same page and enjoying every minute. A middle aged guy pulled up behind me at a red light today. I could see his face and read his lips in the rear view mirror as he looked at the Shelby and said, "Holy Sh**" That reaction will never go away for many of us in our lifetimes. I smiled and drove off feeling very lucky. Driving back to the neighborhood, a young 20 year old gent pulled me over and asked if he could look under the hood. Buying a GT500 equals MSRP + ADM. Owning a GT500 equals priceless.

I've enjoyed what little I've driven mine, picked up 03/01/07 and still about 86 miles on the clock. The most time I spent with it was changing out the axle-back.

I could care less about wheel hop or other factory short comings, I've modified every Mustang I've owned and this will be no different. I'm dying to drive it but I let it sit in the garage. Something about it makes me feel squishy inside just knowing it's mine. I just stare at it with a sense of awe.

The 03, however, being somewhat heavily modified is currently the workhorse and brute. :happy feet:

I must be one of the lucky ones. I have a Shelby GT-500. Just a few years after I graduated from high school, the Shelby Mustang hit the road. I wanted a 67 GT-350 so bad, but I was lucky to have enough money to buy gas for my "56" Pontiac. But I had a car, I was one of the lucky ones. When I got serious about buying a 67 Shelby I found it impossible to come up with the $25,000, but with two kids, a great wife, and a house, I was one of the lucky ones. When I found out in March 05 that the Shelbys were coming, I signed up for one. Not to be first. Just to be sure that I didn't miss the boat again. While some are complaining about ADM,s wheel hop, production numbers, GT500KRs, future value etc. etc. etc. I am enjoying mine!!!! I have waited 40 years for a Shelby. I,m not going to worry what's around the corner for muscle cars or Mustangs. Hell, we don't know what's around the corner for any of us! There is nothing Ford or Shelby can build that will make me like my car less. Sure there will be cars coming that I will like, but my GT500 will always be in my garage. I'm one of the lucky ones!

Could not agree more. + 1 :shift:

I'm not sure that lucky is quite enough.. I ordered mine in March of 2005 from my ford dealership, received it March 20 2007.. Installed Evo 4 and all the goodies. Definite traction problem. I think there is nothing Better than enjoying them for all they are worth. That is what they were designed for.. For lots of SMILES>>>>

I share your sentiments entirely. As previously mentioned by several others, we have traveled many of the same roads. In '69 when I got home from 'Nam' I had a chance to buy either a 68 500GT or a 69 Hemi Roadrunner. Yeah, I chose the "Bird". Not that it was a bad choice by today's standards. The bad choice was selling it when I did. I told my wife she could sell these when I die, but until then they're both keepers.

snakes018a.jpg

post-6193-1176347819_thumb.jpg

post-6193-1176347819_thumb.jpg

I share your sentiments entirely. As previously mentioned by several others, we have traveled many of the same roads. In '69 when I got home from 'Nam' I had a chance to buy either a 68 500GT or a 69 Hemi Roadrunner. Yeah, I chose the "Bird". Not that it was a bad choice by today's standards. The bad choice was selling it when I did. I told my wife she could sell these when I die, but until then they're both keepers.

snakes018a.jpg

Wow--talk about two sweet "Cobras"!

And I agree 100% with these posts. I remember riding my bike down to the local Ford dealer as a kid and seeing my 1st Shelby (1967), and from that moment on I dreamed of someday owning one--now I do! Likewise, I love my Harley for the therapy it provides, nothing like a ride through the country to take my mind off my troubles, but now I have two avenues to bliss. The only trouble is, I haven't been riding my Harley much lately; I just can't keep myself from sliding into the Shelby. I have 2010 miles on it now, and each as been a blast!

CC

I just installed Rear BMR lowering springs ( No ride penalty that I could see) Roads are salt covered but just could'nt resist it. This is truly a "Time machine" and an absolute BLAST to drive ! :shift: Ah...I'm going to pinch myself. :drool:

Bullseye! You're all saying the things I've been thinking when reading this forum and others while I waited for mine and now that I've been blessed with one there isn't anything that will cause me to like this '07 GT500 any less.

Bullittmansparts is right about the car being a time machine and he's the first I've heard mention it. This is as close to a time machine as we'll ever get. I realized it the other day while watching a documentary about the new Cobra 2-seater prototype that Ford developed with Carroll Shelby. The documentary is called Codename Daisy and if you get a chance you have to see it. It aired on the show "Rides" a few years ago. Anyway at the end of the development process Carroll has to certify the car and he takes it out to thrash it for a while, I'm sure like he did with all the cars he's been involved with.

At the beginning of his certification drive he's looking every day of his 80+ years. Pretty soon he's doing tire smoking launches and doughnuts and power slides and he's laughing and smiling and he looks like he's about 25 years old again. The same look he has in the video clip of his test drive of the '07 GT500 mule when he drives by and gives the thumbs up meaning this is one helluva car here and you better git one! Yes Sir. As close to a time machine as I'll ever get.

post-8291-1176402591_thumb.jpg

post-8291-1176402591_thumb.jpg

Ron,

My dad was the one who sparked the mustang/shelby bug in me when I was young, have'nt turned back since, by the way you live in western PA? I do, McKeesport near Pitts. grew up in Irwin. Sorry re-read your in n.east PA near Scranton, Poconos?

I'm just a little North and West of Scranton. The weather has been awful this week and snow is predicted for Sunday night. My Shelby waits in the garage for things to clear next week. Enjoy your car !!!!!

Ron

Archived