TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2015 Mustang?

39Mustang

Guest markham51

The Mustang name is iconic yet Ford has yet to leverage it in the increasingly important world market.

Time for Ford to "up the Sexy" on the 2015. More knife, less hammer. Aston like sexiness with Mustang visual cues and a modern sports car suspension will prepare it for a "world car" role and the inevitable power-train changes that higher gas prices will dictate. Caution...if they do this it can't be half measure...it has to be a stunner!

The Mustang name is iconic yet Ford has yet to leverage it in the increasingly important world market.

Time for Ford to "up the Sexy" on the 2015. More knife, less hammer. Aston like sexiness with Mustang visual cues and a modern sports car suspension will prepare it for a "world car" role and the inevitable power-train changes that higher gas prices will dictate. Caution...if they do this it can't be half measure...it has to be a stunner!

Mustang was never ment to be SEXY. It was originally designed to be a Secretary's Car or for the Stay at Home Mom or as a second Car. Then different models were added for Muscle and Racing but still not for Sexy. The Mustang was never ment to be a Suit & Tie Car but the BMW's and Astons were.

Guest markham51

Mustang was never ment to be SEXY. It was originally designed to be a Secretary's Car or for the Stay at Home Mom or as a second Car. Then different models were added for Muscle and Racing but still not for Sexy. The Mustang was never ment to be a Suit & Tie Car but the BMW's and Astons were.

I recently attended the Detroit show.

My conclusion...I was impressed by the improvement in exterior design from all manufacturers. I could wander into any area and find something I liked. Can't say that has ever been the case.

I was particularly impressed by what Ford has done with the 2013 Fusion, and the Lincoln MKZ concept. They dramatically "upped the sexy" on both of these cars and I would happily drive either one today whereas existing models are far more conservatively designed and neither would find their way into my garage.

...in my opinion I believe it is time to make some big changes in the Mustang particularly if they are serious about selling it world-wide. Time to "up the sexy".....I am PERSONALLY not interested in another tweaked version of the Mustang, not that i dislike what Ford has done with it. For me...it's just time for a change...time for Ford to flaunt it's newly proven design skills. Mustang is Ford's halo car...that is where they should be bold.

What the heck is with the sexy comment? No disrespect, but it's a muscle car, or at least it is for now. I'm with Dennis and few others here. The Mustang should stay a muscle car, plain and simple. The Mustang should stay an affordable and aggressive performance car!

Doesn't everyone remember what Ford did to the Cougar? It started out mean and eventually turned into a FWD economy car. Or how about when Ford almost turned the Mustang into a modified Probe? What a mess that was. If Ford wants to dramatically change the Mustang, then call it something else. The Fusion, Focus and it's Lincoln derivaties are selling fine. Honestly, it's not all about fuel economy. It's about the enjoyment of driving the car.

Guest markham51

What the heck is with the sexy comment? No disrespect, but it's a muscle car, or at least it is for now. I'm with Dennis and few others here. The Mustang should stay a muscle car, plain and simple. The Mustang should stay an affordable and aggressive performance car!

Doesn't everyone remember what Ford did to the Cougar? It started out mean and eventually turned into a FWD economy car. Or how about when Ford almost turned the Mustang into a modified Probe? What a mess that was. If Ford wants to dramatically change the Mustang, then call it something else. The Fusion, Focus and it's Lincoln derivaties are selling fine. Honestly, it's not all about fuel economy. It's about the enjoyment of driving the car.

Actually I was hoping for something like the Juke-R! Now that would be a real machine!

I think that Ford has to walk a fine line here. Their task is not easy. On one hand, they want to attract more buyers (after all, they're in the business of selling cars) as well as achieving better fuel economy. On the other hand, if they change the car too much, they will loose those buyers like me who like a Mustang that looks and feels like a Mustang. If I want a BMW or an Audi, I'll buy a BMW or an Audi, not a Mustang trying to look and feel like a BMW 3 series coupe or an Audi S5. Make no mistake, I love European cars (my daily driver is an Audi), but I like the Mustang for what it is; not as a substitute for a European car. While the car has to make some improvement from a fuel economy standpoint to help meet the CAFE standards and could also add some level of sophistication (IRS is long overdue), the look shall still scream Mustang and a big V8 shall remain a part of the option list.

In general, I'm all for Ford's new single design philosophy where the same cas is sold around the globe (Fiesta, Focus, and soon, the new Fusion and Escape). While its a good idea for the mainstream models, there are vehicles that have a specific appeal to the North American market and that should stay true to their heritage. The Mustang and the F150 are 2 products for which Ford shouldn't compromise to appeal to a worldwide audience. Often, when you try to please everybody, you end up pleasing no one.

There is so much goodwill attached to the Mustang name that Ford simply cannot afford to drop the ball. Over the years, Ford took some great nameplates and ran them to the ground by changing their position in the marketplace. Cougar is a great exemple that was already mentionned, Thunderbird is another nameplate that lost its luster over the years due to poor product decisions being made.Lets hope the Mustang is not the next one to suffer this fate.

Fords Mustang model out sold chevy and dodge mucle cars in 2011 so a lot of people must like the way they look now, but as history has shown us sometimes the designers think they can do better and just destroy the whole look of the car.

I think that Ford has to walk a fine line here. Their task is not easy. On one hand, they want to attract more buyers (after all, they're in the business of selling cars) as well as achieving better fuel economy. On the other hand, if they change the car too much, they will loose those buyers like me who like a Mustang that looks and feels like a Mustang. If I want a BMW or an Audi, I'll buy a BMW or an Audi, not a Mustang trying to look and feel like a BMW 3 series coupe or an Audi S5. Make no mistake, I love European cars (my daily driver is an Audi), but I like the Mustang for what it is; not as a substitute for a European car. While the car has to make some improvement from a fuel economy standpoint to help meet the CAFE standards and could also add some level of sophistication (IRS is long overdue), the look shall still scream Mustang and a big V8 shall remain a part of the option list.

In general, I'm all for Ford's new single design philosophy where the same cas is sold around the globe (Fiesta, Focus, and soon, the new Fusion and Escape). While its a good idea for the mainstream models, there are vehicles that have a specific appeal to the North American market and that should stay true to their heritage. The Mustang and the F150 are 2 products for which Ford shouldn't compromise to appeal to a worldwide audience. Often, when you try to please everybody, you end up pleasing no one.

There is so much goodwill attached to the Mustang name that Ford simply cannot afford to drop the ball. Over the years, Ford took some great nameplates and ran them to the ground by changing their position in the marketplace. Cougar is a great exemple that was already mentionned, Thunderbird is another nameplate that lost its luster over the years due to poor product decisions being made.Lets hope the Mustang is not the next one to suffer this fate.

Well said. I like your point about the Mustang and F-150. And you are right about the Thunderbird also.

• 9 months later...

today, "Autoweek" released this picture of the 2015 Mustang, and they claim it will have independent rear suspension. Several engine choices including an Eco Boost choice. it could also be just a test mule trying out different suspension options or engine trans configurations. But this is their picture and i thought I would share it with you.

2015Mustang.jpg

2015Mustang.jpg

That's definitely a mule not a new pony. Interesting look to the headlights though.

The EVO design is growing on me but I think it's place is more as a Fusion coupe than a Mustang. Also I struggle to see how it would become a convertible whilst retaining its lines.

That's definitely a mule not a new pony. Interesting look to the headlights though.

The EVO design is growing on me but I think it's place is more as a Fusion coupe than a Mustang. Also I struggle to see how it would become a convertible whilst retaining its lines.

They made a Vert out of a Chrysler Cross Fire & PT Cruiser and a Nissan 360/370 Z. I don't like how they look, but they did it.

why cant we have it for a sexy hom mom/ secretary?

i still think its going to look like an aston. im split on it. i love the aston, i would love to own one. that said its not a mustang.

Archived