TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Spare tires for GT500KR

Don Breech

Did all the KRs come without a spare tire? I had need to look for the spare and the well was empty. Are the F1 Supercar tires from Goodyear run-flat tires? I guess that would be a good reason, but what if you changed tire brands to something better than the Goodyears???? Can anyone say "Nitto"? And, if we got a spare, which size would it be....or perhaps a compromise 275x40x18?????? Seems weird not to have a spare tire. Especially with instructions on changing tire in the manual. Thinking of changing out to 20 inch rims. Anybody have any input (pro or con) on this? Would put 285x30s on rear and 255x35s on front with FR500 20" rims. Should look good but will it perform well? Would use Nitto INVO tires.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Don

Hey there, Don.

1) No spare - just the little inflation kit.

2) They're not run-flats.

3) I was wondering about a good replacement, too.

4) 20's looks good, if you like that look... I'll stick with the 18's. 20" wheels are awfully HEAVY.

Lighter is better... :)

Duane

I changed my wheels for the Alcoa 20s. I must admit that I did that mainly for the look. As oldlugs said, 18s are lighter and likely a better choice from a pure performance standpoint. That being said, I do not intend to track the car and preferred the look of the initial KR porototype which used the Alcoa 20s.

20" rims will be a larger/heavier rotational mass. Tougher on brakes. You'll have to go to less sidewall to make them fit, so hookup will be more challenged. Yes, they look great! So from a performance standpoint, you'll have to take a hit for the looks.

• 1 month later...

Problem we have is clearing the big brembos upfront. With that in mind, you only need a spare that will fit the rear. If you get a front flat, simply take the rear tire and mount it on the front, then mount the spare on the rear. You can then drive the car to a shop or home where you can fix it.

Archived