TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Mustang Billet Aluminum Antenna - Install Notes

Boidster

This is just FYI for other 2012 owners (possibly also 2011?). Phill has this antenna on his 2010 and didn't have the same issues.

My first official "upgrade" was a Shelby Mustang Billet Antenna.

S10M-18813-U-2T.jpg

Although this isn't the "shorty" antenna, it is very short; maybe 2/3 as tall as the stock antenna. Installation wasn't quite perfect, so I wanted to write down a couple of notes, in case anybody comes searching through here later.

On the need for the special retaining nut tool: If you have a pair of small needle-nose pliers, preferably curved ones as shown below, you won't need the special tool. The retaining nut has four little notches in its rim, and the tips of the pliers fit perfectly and the nut came out easily and without damage. Same for re-install.

19856_300.jpg

Fitment of the OEM rubber gasket: There are two small problems with reusing the OEM rubber gasket on the billet base. 1) The billet part isn't exactly the same shape as the OEM base, on the outboard side of the base. The slope of the OEM base lines up exactly with the little lip that the rubber gasket fits into. The billet base, however, slopes past the lip. What this means is that when the gasket is in place and the base is secure on the vehicle, the outboard edge of the base hangs over the gasket by a millimeter or two. Need to take care when washing around this area that you don't cut your hand on the sharp-ish edge of the base.

Also, the OEM gasket has a little bump on its inner edge that lines up with a little cutout in the OEM base. The billet base does not have the cutout. A little X-Acto knife work could remove the bump from the gasket, but I chose to just install it as is; you can't really tell that the gasket is very slightly bulged at that point.

Depth of threads on antenna: You can't see it in the picture above, but the antenna and its upper housing are actually two pieces (so there are 3 pieces total to the kit). The antenna is what screws into the OEM antenna receiver (the part that is inside the fender, and is not moved/changed during install), and it just slots into that upper housing and the whole thing is clamped together by the antenna.

Well, on the part I got anyway, the antenna would not screw down far enough to clamp everything together. The base is held on by the special retaining nut (the thing you have to remove with the special tool or with needle-nose pliers), but the upper housing was just rattling around after I had screwed the antenna in as far as it would go (using vise-grips and a towel). So you will need some type of spacer to put over the threaded antenna shaft, between the bottom of the shaft and the upper housing. I used a 1/2" or so piece of very small zip tie, bent into a circle and pushed into the hole in the upper housing where the antenna fits. This causes the antenna to sit maybe 3/16" higher in its housing, but it all clamps down tightly now, and it looks fine.

Alignment of base and upper housing: The upper housing uses a chamfer edge to self-center on the billet base, but it's not very aggressive about it. That is, unless the upper housing is pretty much centered already, the little chamfer they put into the mounting surface really isn't going to overcome much misalignment. What this meant for me is loosening up the antenna a bit, then manhandling the upper housing into correct position (so its sides matched smoothly with the sides of the base) and then tightening the antenna again. It takes 3 hands, but somehow I did it with 2.

After all was said and done, I think it looks really good. Nothing above is a deal-killer and I don't regret the purchase. Just a few quirks to work around during installation.

Pictures coming, so that all that makes more sense. :headscratch:

The only one at Shelby Performance Parts is the brushed aluminum color, but there are other billet antennas available in different colors. For example, this one from UPR appears to re-use the stock (plastic) base, so you don't even have to remove the retaining nut. More expensive than the all-billet SPP part, though.

Thank you for posting this. Do you know if this comes in Black?

I know I've seen a identical item in black. I thought it was on SPP but I just checked and it isn't. This is a Scott Drake item so I may have seen it on Drake's site. Google it and you can find his site and check there...

I have the SPP Aluminum antenna on my 2010 and I didn't run into any problem at all with installation.

Phill

post-26522-0-44149900-1328914713_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-44149900-1328914713_thumb.jpg

I have the SPP Aluminum antenna on my 2010 and I didn't run into any problem at all with installation.

Interesting. The instructions only mentioned the 2010, but I just chalked that up to a manufacture date in 2010. From what I can see in your picture, though, your base doesn't hang over the gasket at all. Either they changed the gasket for the 2012 or my base is different from yours. Do you recall if your gasket had the little alignment bump on the inside edge, and did your base have an associated notch? If the answer is no on both, then I'm pretty sure they changed it on the 2012.

I'll post some pics so you can tell me if mine looks different.

I already have a BBR screw in that uses the existing base, a UPR, and have asked American Muscle when they will have one in black. Thanks for all the info thus far. The SPP Billet Aluminum antenna is very nice looking.

Interesting. The instructions only mentioned the 2010, but I just chalked that up to a manufacture date in 2010. From what I can see in your picture, though, your base doesn't hang over the gasket at all. Either they changed the gasket for the 2012 or my base is different from yours. Do you recall if your gasket had the little alignment bump on the inside edge, and did your base have an associated notch? If the answer is no on both, then I'm pretty sure they changed it on the 2012.

I'll post some pics so you can tell me if mine looks different.

I don't remember if mine had the little rubber tab or not but I have a extra antenna so I can look at the base on it to see if it has the notch. I kind of remember having to just be sure the base fit inside of the rubber gasket and ALMOST think I had ot move the antenna base to the inside limit of the hole, if that's possible. I don't want to pull the trunk cover and antenna off to double check but I can at least inspect the SPP antenna base to see what's there.

I'm still not real clear on what you mean with your antenna base hanging over the edge so I'll wait for your pics to compare yours to mine with.

Phill

Here's a view of the installed antenna. You can kinda see the overhang of the outboard edge (it's not lined up with/resting on the gasket).

FullView_sm.jpg

This shows that the OEM base's outboard edge lines up exactly with the bottom of the base. The gasket fits into the groove around the base.

EdgeView_sm.jpg

If I had taken that picture with the billet base, it would look like this diagram. The outboard edge overhangs the gasket groove by a couple of millimeters.

Diagram.jpg

This notch in the OEM base matches up with a key in the gasket. The billet base does not have this notch, but it didn't really cause any problems.

Notch_sm.jpg

This closeup shows that the antenna sits 2-3mm raised from the upper housing, due to the little plastic shim I put down in there, for proper clamping pressure.

Closeup_sm.jpg

Size comparison. Perspective is off, but the billet antenna is about 1/2 as tall as the OEM antenna.

Size_sm.jpg

Closeup_sm.jpg

Diagram.jpg

EdgeView_sm.jpg

FullView_sm.jpg

Notch_sm.jpg

Size_sm.jpg

How does this mod affect your FM reception?

That's a good question! I will go out and check and report back. I stream music through Slacker 99% of the time so I didn't think to check reception after I installed it. It was purely an aesthetic choice, but I suppose if I suddenly can't get the local stations I'll reconsider!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the SPP antenna on my 2012 with Navigation and the reception on local channels TOTALLY sucks.....I'm lucky to be able to listen to anything, and HD rarely if ever gets a good enough signal. Can't even hear sports on AM radio. IMO the Shelby Antenna looks good, but for actual use, is terrible. I'll be looking for something else which actual has a radio function so I'm not stuck on Ipod/Sat radio at all times.

Archived