TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Removal of speed limiter

lesd

Be careful if you do. There are some pieces that might not have too much margin above the max. For example there is a video of a guy's drieshaft exploding on the forum here. Yes, it was a stock car but that's the point - if you have really built or have had built the car to survive raising the rev limit (and/or max speed) then you probably also know what equipment it takes to do it. The point being that in a stock car, some of the limits are there for a reason.

Good luck and be careful.

Many thanks. I want to get a new convertible and consider removing the speed limiter. If Bentley allows GTC convertibles and Porsche allows 997 Turbo Cabriolets to reach the high 190's I will be searching for technical limitations that would preclude me from removing the limiter on a new Shelby convertible. Any thoughts on this subject are appreciated.

The one that blew the driveshaft was a V-6, which Ford puts a paper thin driveshaft in for gas mileage. Thats why Ford limited the top end to 116 mph in the V-6. Anything above that you are on borrowed time. The 2013 GT500 has a carbon fiber driveshaft which is designed for doing high speeds. Should not be a problem for any GT500 to do high speed.

I believe that was for the convertible.

Yeah it was on the article announcing the convertible but was talking about the 2013 in general not saying the convertible had the limiter but the coupe did not. I've seen nothing official or anything anywhere that said the limiter was ever removed for the coupe so I think it is safe to assume it is still there even though they are hyping the "top speed".

Thanks all, it is good to know there is a way to remove the restriction.

Although I was told by a marketing rep at the Detroit show that the Track Pack would not be offered on the convertible it looks like it will be.

I have been around for quite a while and cannot remember being so excited about a car in a lifetime of automotive excitement.

I will always remember saying 650 horsepower aloud several times while reading the first article.

Increasingly, you don't need to speed six figures for the mother of al rides.

Jamal Hameedi: .........the GT500 Coupe is not speed-limited.

Yeah it looks like he just announced this yesterday, haven't seen it before then in any official release. Having taken mine to about 145 MPH with the top down I can say I had no wish to try for 155, yet alone 200MPH.

He also said :

The GT500 and the Ford GT are pretty different vehicles—but we bench marked the GT quite a bit. The GT500 and GT are roughly similar in performance up to 150 MPH and the GT500 is faster on a road course.

Pretty damn amazing!

Thanks for the driving impressions in your convertible at 145. It has to be a bit like a bike with no helmet. Noise at high speeds is more stressful than the speed itself.

This summer I will be sure to pass along impressions of what the convertible will actually do.

While it's not exactly Chuck Yeager stuff, it's going to be fun.

Only way I know is with an SCT tuner.

Will the SCT tuner do it without having a canned tune in it?

What I mean is, if a guy has a totally stock car and wants to keep it that way, OTHER THAN THE TOP SPEED, can s/he buy a SCT, plug it in and defeat or raise the VSL without having to upload (or have) a new tune?

Phill

Will the SCT tuner do it without having a canned tune in it?

What I mean is, if a guy has a totally stock car and wants to keep it that way, OTHER THAN THE TOP SPEED, can s/he buy a SCT, plug it in and defeat or raise the VSL without having to upload (or have) a new tune?

Phill

Yup. The SCT can adjust numerous non tune related parameters (tire diameter, speed limiter, max rpm, cooling fan, etc.) with no effect on the stock tune.

Yup. The SCT can adjust numerous non tune related parameters (tire diameter, speed limiter, max rpm, cooling fan, etc.) with no effect on the stock tune.

Okay, so what I'm getting at is: He/I can buy *just* a SCT tuner, without buying a tune and change certain paramenters, right?

Because I have a FRPP Pro-Cal tune for my 2.9L Whipple that I ONLY want to raise the VSL parameter on, without touching the rest of the tune (to keep it 100%, 50-State street legal). I *know* I can get a Jon Lund tune that is a duplicate tune of the FRPP tune, but with the VSL raised to 250mph (which essentially defeats the top speed limiter since the car can not physically reach 250mph) from Revan Racing.

I'm just not sure if I need the tune (and added expense) or just the tool.

The "UP" side to a Revan/Lund purchased SCT is that I could get the FRPP tune (w/VSL raised) AND two more tunes with it. I'm thinking of one tune being a "Valet Mode" tune that limits the RPM & MPH, and another for Race gas for when I get to the track (VERY occasionally).

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Phill

Okay, so what I'm getting at is: He/I can buy *just* a SCT tuner, without buying a tune and change certain paramenters, right?

Because I have a FRPP Pro-Cal tune for my 2.9L Whipple that I ONLY want to raise the VSL parameter on, without touching the rest of the tune (to keep it 100%, 50-State street legal). I *know* I can get a Jon Lund tune that is a duplicate tune of the FRPP tune, but with the VSL raised to 250mph (which essentially defeats the top speed limiter since the car can not physically reach 250mph) from Revan Racing.

I'm just not sure if I need the tune (and added expense) or just the tool.

The "UP" side to a Revan/Lund purchased SCT is that I could get the FRPP tune (w/VSL raised) AND two more tunes with it. I'm thinking of one tune being a "Valet Mode" tune that limits the RPM & MPH, and another for Race gas for when I get to the track (VERY occasionally).

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Phill

Phill

The SCT Device does not enable you to raise the VSL parameter. You have to have a tune with that raised in order to accomplish what you seek.

We usually sell the device with the single tune but we can add additional tunes to the device for a nominal amount. Valet etc.

I hope this answers your question. Additionally, if you are going to open track or do any sort of high speed touring event you should strongly consider a off-road X-pipe and a tune to accompany that. You can run your car on the Ford tune with VSL raised that leaves COTS turned on (Catalyst Over Temperature Sensing) however you will be generating a lot of heat in the cats which will in turn tell the PCM to richen the car (dump fuel) to cool the catalytic converters. For an off road event or closed circuit touring event and the COTS strategy turned off along with an off road X-pipe you will get better performance and enjoy the vehicle more during the track event.

Van

Revan Racing

Phill

The SCT Device does not enable you to raise the VSL parameter. You have to have a tune with that raised in order to accomplish what you seek.

We usually sell the device with the single tune but we can add additional tunes to the device for a nominal amount. Valet etc.

I hope this answers your question. Additionally, if you are going to open track or do any sort of high speed touring event you should strongly consider a off-road X-pipe and a tune to accompany that. You can run your car on the Ford tune with VSL raised that leaves COTS turned on (Catalyst Over Temperature Sensing) however you will be generating a lot of heat in the cats which will in turn tell the PCM to richen the car (dump fuel) to cool the catalytic converters. For an off road event or closed circuit touring event and the COTS strategy turned off along with an off road X-pipe you will get better performance and enjoy the vehicle more during the track event.

Van

Revan Racing

Thanks for the info Van. That's exactly what I was trying to find out.

As I've said in the past, my "ultimate goal" is to run my car, in 100% street legal trim at the Mojave Mile and reach 190mph. That means leaving the Cats on the car. But on a standing mile event I figure my Cats should be fine because I'm not going to be WOT (at or near redline) for very long. I'm planning out some Aero tricks but it'll still be 100% STREET legal (except for maybe not having a second mirror on the side view).

As for closed course track events, my *only* intention is on a 1/4 mile drag strip. I'm just flat-out NOT a road racer, I'm a straight-line kind'a guy. Those turns at the end of the straights just make my butt pucker too much to be fast. I found that out when I (Pollard & Son's Racing) raced two cars and my son was SO much faster than I was. It only made sense to put him in the "good" car and save my time/money by only racing one car. It worked out well with a win in his second race ever and the High Point Championship in his second year of racing.

Having said that, I might consider a tune for a off-road X-pipe (sans Cats) for the drag strip. I really hadn't thought about it (again, only on it for less than 15 seconds at a time). AND, if I decided to run my car at one of the MANY racing schools at the old PPIR (Fountain CO) NASCAR track or up in Denver/Erie, I could run one without fear of melting the Cats.

Then I figure if I was going to get two tunes, I might as well get the third with the "Valet Mode" like I wrote of above. I've already decided that when it comes time for that tune we spoke about, you're my source. I'm just trying to get a enclosed trailer before buying a tune/r.

And no one seems to want to trade a Toy Hauler worth twice the cost of a enclosed trailer, for a enclosed trailer (yet)!

Thanks again for the clarification,

Phill

Phill

Van

Revan Racing

Van,

For a 2013 convertible with the Performance Pack and Track Pack that will remain stock with the exception of a higher desired top speed, purchase an SCT from Revan Racing with a tune only addressing the VSL and COTS, correct?

Would this duplicate the performance of the coupe in terms of an "unlimited" top speed without requiring any other modifications?

Thanks

Les

Yeah it looks like he just announced this yesterday, haven't seen it before then in any official release. Having taken mine to about 145 MPH with the top down I can say I had no wish to try for 155, yet alone 200MPH.

He also said :

The GT500 and the Ford GT are pretty different vehicles—but we bench marked the GT quite a bit. The GT500 and GT are roughly similar in performance up to 150 MPH and the GT500 is faster on a road course.

Pretty damn amazing!

The GT500 beats the Ford GT on a road course!!!!....That is amazing for sure...Would like to see that on a vid.

Van,

For a 2013 convertible with the Performance Pack and Track Pack that will remain stock with the exception of a higher desired top speed, purchase an SCT from Revan Racing with a tune only addressing the VSL and COTS, correct?

Would this duplicate the performance of the coupe in terms of an "unlimited" top speed without requiring any other modifications?

Thanks

Les

Les

Until the 2013 is out and we know the specifics of the mapping of the PCM it is difficult to answer this question. If all things are equal and we can re-map the PCM in the 2013 then it would safe to "Assume" that removal of the VTS and COTS could net similar performance however there are still "Assumptions" and I don't assume anything at this age.

When the 2013 arrives we will know more.

Van

• 7 years later...

Archived