TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How come Shelby American does not list the CS6 & CS8?

David Hawkins

Thanks Steve.....If I held that title I would certainly have it a much LARGER part of my signature....lol.....looked twice before I found it.....

I let the cars my team built do the talking. Don't need a huge banner :closedeyes: . But thanks!

In some on my earliest e-mails to SAI / Amy around January 06, I was certainly lead to believe this was the intent as the program was in a holding pattern for a while awaiting a decision.

I wanted to order a new 06 and have it delivered to SAI for conversion but they kept providing excuses until I was finally advised they would only sell individual component parts.

The other key piece of information is the early literature indicated the vehicle would have a dash plaque however, upon purchase no dash plaque was provided and several of the early buyers

petitioned Amy directly for our plaques until finally they decided to produce something generic to appease us.

The original ``dash plaque`` offering I believe were the style in the prototype vehicles but when the decision not to build came down the pipe they no longer had a dash plaque to offer.

It was my understanding that Ford didn`t want any direct competition from SAI and the CS6 while they were directly involved in producing vehicles for them and so it was moved from a production to a parts program.

Hopefully AJ can shed some light on the facts.

We didn't get everything right from the start, actually we got quite a few things wrong. Yes Ford was not happy with a V6 Shelby Mustang competing with its V8 Mustang at the time. We also wanted to make sure we were playing by Ford's rules on the GT-H and the SGT, question of survival of the company. So in a sense the CS6 got sacrificed for the greater good. None of us working for Amy had any say in how she dealt with the CS6 customers. We did learn a lot with those cars because of both the excitement and the occasional anger of the customers. I do believe at a certain point SA started offering the whole shebang as an official pack, but I don't remember how many were made in Vegas vs. the mod-shops around the country.

The actual dash plaque program kind of developed as we were building the GT-H and then the SGT. If the CS6/CS8 program never got elevated to the same status, that was Amy's decision. While I might not agree with it, there is nothing I can do about it now.

AJ

It was always just a post-title deal. In fact we sold the CS6/CS8 packs to anybody who wanted them on their Mustangs. Also the mod-shops did a few... It was never considered as a pre-title car sold through Ford dealerships like the SGT or the KR. Did I answer your question?

AJ

Yes, thank you.

It does bring up another question though. I've come across two CS8 cars that had embossed aluminum dash plaques. I was told those were only given we you bought the entire turn 1 or turn 2 kits from SAI. Is this true? Or was there never really a CS6 or CS8 plaque? Forgive my curiosity here, but there was a thread long ago with Amy that really didn't get answered.

post-24817-0-43096900-1329804718_thumb.jpg

post-24817-0-24853100-1329804731_thumb.jpg

post-24817-0-27794800-1329804807_thumb.jpg

post-24817-0-64504400-1329804902_thumb.jpg

post-24817-0-43096900-1329804718_thumb.jpg

post-24817-0-24853100-1329804731_thumb.jpg

post-24817-0-27794800-1329804807_thumb.jpg

post-24817-0-64504400-1329804902_thumb.jpg

Yes, thank you.

It does bring up another question though. I've come across two CS8 cars that had embossed aluminum dash plaques. I was told those were only given we you bought the entire turn 1 or turn 2 kits from SAI. Is this true? Or was there never really a CS6 or CS8 plaque? Forgive my curiosity here, but there was a thread long ago with Amy that really didn't get answered.

This is the plaque that complete turn 1 / turn 2 vehicles now have (myself included) that we petiioned Amy for.

The plaque is actually one of the nicest looking ones I have ever seen (quality wise) come out of SAI.

The plaque does indicate either CS6 or CS8 and turn 1 or turn 2 vehicles.

We tried to get the wording changed to make it less generic or have our vin numbers on them but it didn't happen.

We didn't get everything right from the start, actually we got quite a few things wrong. Yes Ford was not happy with a V6 Shelby Mustang competing with its V8 Mustang at the time. We also wanted to make sure we were playing by Ford's rules on the GT-H and the SGT, question of survival of the company. So in a sense the CS6 got sacrificed for the greater good. None of us working for Amy had any say in how she dealt with the CS6 customers. We did learn a lot with those cars because of both the excitement and the occasional anger of the customers. I do believe at a certain point SA started offering the whole shebang as an official pack, but I don't remember how many were made in Vegas vs. the mod-shops around the country.

The actual dash plaque program kind of developed as we were building the GT-H and then the SGT. If the CS6/CS8 program never got elevated to the same status, that was Amy's decision. While I might not agree with it, there is nothing I can do about it now.

AJ

AJ,

I was most certainly the number one customer to exhibit both the excitement and anger over this program..lol.. and had many heated issues with Amy which eventually caused me a two year ban from this site.

Not to open old wounds but I experienced more problems and issues than I can count throughout the whole process but in the end the complete vehicle is amazing and I'm disappointed in the fact SAI doesn't have any place for this vehicle except as footnote in their history books.

IMO....this vehicle represented the return of Shelby to the modern Mustang era and you would think it would hold a higher place within the ranks of Shelbyville regardless of how many came after it.

The CS6 program was the first S197 designed and built Shelby vehicle and should have received praise and accolades but it received virtually no mention of this fact anywhere and most still have no idea what a CS6 is.

Yes, thank you.

I honestly don't know. You should ask Roger at SA.

AJ

AJ,

I was most certainly the number one customer to exhibit both the excitement and anger over this program..lol.. and had many heated issues with Amy which eventually caused me a two year ban from this site.

Not to open old wounds but I experienced more problems and issues than I can count throughout the whole process but in the end the complete vehicle is amazing and I'm disappointed in the fact SAI doesn't have any place for this vehicle except as footnote in their history books.

IMO....this vehicle represented the return of Shelby to the modern Mustang era and you would think it would hold a higher place within the ranks of Shelbyville regardless of how many came after it.

The CS6 program was the first S197 designed and built Shelby vehicle and should have received praise and accolades but it received virtually no mention of this fact anywhere and most still have no idea what a CS6 is.

I couldn't agree more, but at this point in time I'm just a spectator like you...

AJ

ShelbyCS6, I really think it was the correct car, but at the wrong time. If Ford hadn't agreed to have SAI build the beloved Shelby GT, we would probably have much more CS6 and CS8 cars. However, that would have been at the expense of some cool cars; the SGT-H, the SGT, the SGT/SC, and the Terlingua. I don't count the SR cars. So, while the CS6 and CS8 don't get the notoriety as the other Shelby cars, I think it's nice to have a sweet looking, fast and rare Shelby. And, on top of that, the CS cars are the ONLY kit built Shelby Mustangs. To my knowledge, SAI never did that, and may never again.

Besides, between the few of us on here, we can make the CS cars known.

Bestia27, AJ, thank you for the information as always.

I don't mind that the CS program was sacrificed for the greater good - I just believe that they deserve more recognition from SA. It always feels like we're swept under the carpet a bit......maybe others feel differently but that's my $0.02 for what it's worth.

I do love how rare our cars are, I even enjoy the typical car show conversation of;

"So this makes 500hp huh?"

"Erm, no...it's not a GT500"

"Oh, it's a GT?"

"Nope...a CS6"

"a what?"

• 4 weeks later...

If it weren't for those who think that just because they put a CS hood or grille on their otherwise stock stang who would flood the ebook with fake CS's (see the thread where we tried to get a photo registry of the cars together) it might not be a bad idea....however why should the GTH get a printed book & we have to put up with an e-book? The CS cars deserve their place in Shelby history too.

Thank Amy B. for using people to get the Terlingua off the ground (just my opinion). I was gonna buy the CS8 for my 06 but could never get a straight answer from anybody there,then the Terlingua shows up looking like a CS6 :stirpot:

Yes, thank you.

My kit was purchased from Hillbank so it didn't have to come directly from SAI (The second picture on your post is my dashboard).

• 3 years later...

AJ,

A Shelby CS6 mini-poster listing all the packages on Ebay .... if anyone is interested

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTRODUCING-THE-ALL-NEW-2006-SHELBY-CS6-THIS-IS-A-MINI-POSTER-/111781639908?hash=item1a06b476e4

That looks like SAI's SEMA flyer from back then. Should be 8.5 x 11 in size.

Steve

Archived